• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone with quality issues on purchase from SD bullion? Over premium numismatist coins?

fastlanwan

I recently bought 1 oz gold Britannia that  was deliverer in good consideration. 

I also bought several QB /4 oz gold dragon  and Lion . I called SD bullion were I was told by SD customer service  that they are all BU condition although from 2016 and 2017. Some may but THEY All in BU. QB Lion 2016 is not, QB Lion 2016 is not. Scratches on queens cheek. 

Problem is those both Lion and dragon have micro scratching on the queens cheek. These are support to be in BU condition but are clearly of a lessor value. Either SD has excepted sub par product for the royal mint OR mishandled their gold sorter when sorting it on table exam tables. 

Do not any numismatic coins form somewhere else.

QB lions are notorious for getting scratches on the Queen's cheeks.  The coins are shipped from The Royal Mint in tubes and the coins rub against each other.  This is not uncommon.  I'd consider it an extra bonus if I received one that didn't have a scratch of one sort or another.

6 minutes ago, mr1030 said:

QB lions are notorious for getting scratches on the Queen's cheeks.  The coins are shipped from The Royal Mint in tubes and the coins rub against each other.  This is not uncommon.  I'd consider it an extra bonus if I received one that didn't have a scratch of one sort or another.

This is the problem exactly and any coins in a tube that have any room for movement will wind up the same. Another problem one is the 2oz 2020 100 years of the RCMP Canada coin. I bought some of these when I was in Toronto a few months back and all of them (not just the ones I bought but all that the dealer had in their open tube) had minor marks on the obverse. Minor marks on the rims are also very, very common amongst most bullion coins from my own (admittedly limited) observations.

Both the 1/4 gold QB Lion and Dragon had light scratches on Queens cheek but not on the same size Griffin (all one order and delivery).  Why we pay a premium over a same size/metal of a US eagle that is in worse condition?  I also pay extra for the dealer to inspect the coins for the extra money. If not, the dealer could have easily sent the coins back to the mint they came from but choose to pass the on to the public. In short this dealer do not do  there due diligence not once but twice in the same order. I sent this same message to SD Bullion and have yet to here back. They have more than one business day to respond but have not yet. 

They appear to care for their products the same as a bank may care for the condition of a penny. We payed extra for that penny for its condition. So for bullion only SD Bullion seems fine but for BU condition, my experience say no.

The point I'm trying to make is that they are bullion coins that are shipped and delivered in tubes.  The coins will often have blemishes due to this. And the early QB's are known for this.  I read that they lowered the cheek level on later issues to avoid it.   It's no different then circulation coins suffering bag marks when they are shipped.  The coin is still BU.  It may not grade a MS70 due to the surface scratches but it is still a MS.  I don't know how much of a premium you paid on it, but smaller size bullion will have a higher % premium on them.  If the dealer is selling an item as bullion, even if it a higher demand/premium item such as the QB's, I don't expect to get a flawless example.  If I do get a pristine example, I just consider myself lucky.

Archived