• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Sovereign 2017 gold proof coin

Markfair

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You will get lots of advice here on real world price. Many here are collectors with lots of experience... and while every one wants a bargain it will be clear posting here if anyone was pulling a fast one. I would worry about some less reputable or unknown companies coming to give you a price on the coins. There are plenty of professional sellers here that would probably look at photos of them all and help offer a bulk price and identify any higher value ones like the 2017 sov for you. You have done a good thing coming here for advice and many here will bend over backwards to help you get the best price for the collection.

I'm not sure on any of the collector stuff, however do also have the 2017 proof sov myself. If you have any other gold coins, bear in mind market price for gold is £1200 a Troy Oz, half £600 , 1/4oz £300 etc. A standard sovereign is nearly a quarter Oz. This will be minimum price. If you have any special proofs, etc may be worth considerably more. As they say, keep the photos coming and folks will give you an idea on market price. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

4 hours ago, Paul said:

dont feel rushed to do anything. whatever you dont dont be tempted to sell it for the nearest "cash for gold", cashconvertors /cashgenerator,  pawnbrokers.

Yes, avoid them, they will probably pay you £160 as they will just identify it as Sovereign, not pay for the premium above the gold price and even only pay you just over half of the gold price. I don't know how anyone can sell their gold there. It must all be heirs of gold coins that don't ask questions on the silver forum and don't even do a quick search on the internet.

15 hours ago, Markfair said:

What do you think of this set 

2014 chief engraver master proofs 

Commemorative edition.

I may be wrong but I believe this is no more than the RM 2014 6-coin Commemorative Proof Set. I can see no mention of it even being silver in your photos. If this is the case it would, sadly, have a retail price of less than £150...see link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-PROOF-COMMEMORATIVE-COIN-SET-INCLUDING-QUEEN-ANNE-5-FIVE-POUND-C-O-A/312928891320?hash=item48dc03f1b8%3Ag%3AtoUAAOSwXSZeEcFl&LH_BIN=1

Apart from there being no reference to "chief engraver master proofs", they look identical.

Please ignore my comments if your set is actually PM.

All Wars Are Central Bankers' Wars

After further research I am more convinced of my first thoughts. The link below shows a photo with the "chief engravers" literature in the left background...

https://cambridgeshirecoins.com/products/2014-proof-coin-year-set-commemorative-edition-birthday-gift-box-coa

On sale for £140

All Wars Are Central Bankers' Wars

4 hours ago, PapaLazarou said:

I may be wrong but I believe this is no more than the RM 2014 6-coin Commemorative Proof Set. I can see no mention of it even being silver in your photos. If this is the case it would, sadly, have a retail price of less than £150...see link.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2014-PROOF-COMMEMORATIVE-COIN-SET-INCLUDING-QUEEN-ANNE-5-FIVE-POUND-C-O-A/312928891320?hash=item48dc03f1b8%3Ag%3AtoUAAOSwXSZeEcFl&LH_BIN=1

Apart from there being no reference to "chief engraver master proofs", they look identical.

Please ignore my comments if your set is actually PM.

Your absolutely correct that is dentical

38 minutes ago, Markfair said:

1579623181874549680115849501132.thumb.jpg.d8cab17484ff7358a6c7b07c8cf02c95.jpg

How about The Uk 50p silver proof collection 40th anniversary.

Looked on ebay was £1500

Seemed alot?

Seller is just a chancer. I assume the picture is the one from ebay and not your own?

As Goldking said this set looks to have sold on average around £600ish.

I think the set was around £195 on release so its tripled in value.

I cant add anything more I'm affraid.

Thanks for everyones advice and help

Thought i would try these ones on you

These are from his collection of single coins

Believe could be wrong but left to right

1887 queen vic half crown

1689 william and mary half crown

1887 queen vic copper one penny

15796320372624440216633573338367.jpg

15796320847678936154886768091708.jpg

2 hours ago, Markfair said:

1579623181874549680115849501132.thumb.jpg.d8cab17484ff7358a6c7b07c8cf02c95.jpg

How about The Uk 50p silver proof collection 40th anniversary.

Looked on ebay was £1500

Seemed alot?

50ps I know a little about and the bottom right proof silver is how to explain this is the holy grail in 50ps and what your sitting on is the holy grail wrapped in selophane 

2 hours ago, danmc82 said:

Seller is just a chancer. I assume the picture is the one from ebay and not your own?

As Goldking said this set looks to have sold on average around £600ish.

I think the set was around £195 on release so its tripled in value.

I cant add anything more I'm affraid.

A circulated key Gardens (bottom right) dated 2009 in any condition is £100 plus a bag 20 uncirculated I know of changed hands for around the 7k I've honestly never seen a proof silver so my guess is you would have collectors ripping your arm off

1 hour ago, Robda1986 said:

A circulated key Gardens (bottom right) dated 2009 in any condition is £100 plus a bag 20 uncirculated I know of changed hands for around the 7k I've honestly never seen a proof silver so my guess is you would have collectors ripping your arm 

Wow...not sure what to do now

21 minutes ago, danmc82 said:

The Kew Garden 50p in this set is not an original 2009.

This is a commemorative set to celebrate the 50p designs, so they are all "copies" if you like.

Like you say 'copy' as the coin actually has 1759 and 2009 on it a celebratory coin

Iam starting to learn..lol

The sets are real nice 

But iam really interested in the indivual coins he left my mum

The ones i posted plus

King john siver penny

Henry vi groat Henry viii half groat

1695 william 3rd crown

Its quite difficult making sure you are getting it right and obviously overflated ebay prices dont help

34 minutes ago, Markfair said:

The sets are real nice 

But iam really interested in the indivual coins he left my mum

The ones i posted plus

King john siver penny

Henry vi groat Henry viii half groat

1695 william 3rd crown

Its quite difficult making sure you are getting it right and obviously overflated ebay prices dont help

Never look at listed prices, always sold prices. If you dont want to keep them, put them up for sale here. I'm sure members can advice futher if your prices are way out.

Archived