• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Queen (band) Coin - 9am

9 minutes ago, kimchi said:

@augur who would have guessed such a coin coin eh? 🤣

Why/how did Brian May mint sixpences?

So a musical legends series! Surely the Beatles, Pink Floyd , maybe Bowie, who else - U2? The Stones would be a bit dodgy as Their Satanic Majesties and there's quite a few that they'd have to be careful on and could send the series down the Gary Glitter.

The original minted sixpence was in 1993 for the Brian May 'Back To The Light' tour,

Features Brian's head on the coin with his name and tour title around the edge.

This item was specially minted for Brian by The Royal Mint of England, as they were sold to fans as collectables at concerts, as the tour reaches thosuands, i guess there will be 1000s sold at gis across Uk and europe. i never heard the offical mintage of it 

4 minutes ago, scotland210590 said:

Brian May uses a penny as a guitar pick hence why the Royal Mint probably let him do his own coin.

He still uses them to this day, he just goes to the mint and buys up all the sixpences 👍

incorrect, he has always used a sixpence since the days of pre queen band smile in late 1960s

It is the sixpence, size and edge thats could give Brian May his signatures sounds & riffs 

By using a penny i just meant an old small coin, i dont collect old coins so i dont really know what ones are what....

But thanks for correcting me 👍

1 hour ago, Paul said:

The original minted sixpence was in 1993 for the Brian May 'Back To The Light' tour,

Features Brian's head on the coin with his name and tour title around the edge.

This item was specially minted for Brian by The Royal Mint of England, as they were sold to fans as collectables at concerts, as the tour reaches thosuands, i guess there will be 1000s sold at gis across Uk and europe. i never heard the offical mintage of it

Many thanks for the info, but that's not a sixpence is it? It's a sixpence sized/weighted (presumably?) round with Brian May on it instead of the Queen!

I'm amazed the Royal Mint would not only/be allowed to let him put his image on it but have a crown on it too!

'Back to the light' and that 'star' at the bottom are 'interesting'.

Didn't he play God Save the Queen on the roof of the Palace at the 2002 Jubilee concert?

I'm reminded for some reason of the nursery rhyme 'Sing a Song of Sixpence'. All very strange!

2 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Many thanks for the info, but that's not a sixpence is it? It's a sixpence sized/weighted (presumably?) round with Brian May on it instead of the Queen!

I'm amazed the Royal Mint would not only/be allowed to let him put his image on it but have a crown on it too!

'Back to the light' and that 'star' at the bottom are 'interesting'.

Didn't he play God Save the Queen on the roof of the Palace at the 2002 Jubilee concert?

I'm reminded for some reason of the nursery rhyme 'Sing a Song of Sixpence'. All very strange!

Royal Mint make blanks for mints all around the world.  It is sized as a sixpence and has the reeded edge. It is the same size as a sixpence not sure if the weight it.  It isnt made from silver it looked like just a ususal cupronicket you would use on a 5p to be honest the few i have had through my hands over the years 

As Royal Mint is a business, if the price is right and they can make money from it, its a goers for them

As it is not a coin of value, there is no monarchs head or monetory value assigned it it

The 1993 issue was for the Back to the Light was the tour which was a solo album project of Brian Mays, Queen as a band were not playing in this tour, he was playing with Cozy Powell from Rainbow, Neil Murray, Spike Edney, Jamie Moses.  He had backing from ones of Bucks Fizz singer Shelley Preston 

It was indeed Brian May who appeared on Buckingham Palace roof for 2002 jubliee concert 

18 minutes ago, Paul said:

Royal Mint make blanks for mints all around the world.  It is sized as a sixpence and has the reeded edge. It is the same size as a sixpence not sure if the weight it.  It isnt made from silver it looked like just a ususal cupronicket you would use on a 5p to be honest the few i have had through my hands over the years 

As Royal Mint is a business, if the price is right and they can make money from it, its a goers for them

As it is not a coin of value, there is no monarchs head or monetory value assigned it it

It's not a coin, it's a round and I'm very surprised to hear that the Royal Mint can/will strike stuff that is linked to 'Queen' and shows a crown but isn't authorised by The Crown!

I've watched a video with Brian May talking about his red guitar (named Red Special I think - ?) and his sixpences as picks. I think he said that he goes for certain years only due to the make up of the metal alloy, though I don't remember which.

No criticism at all (again thank you for the info!) I just find this all very very interesting! To have modern 'icons' on a 'medal' or 'round' is one thing, but now there's this coin!

As a life long fan of Queen since 1985 when i first saw them when i was a weeny bairn paddling in a pool on the July summers day i got hooked & transfixed to the TV watching the QUEEN live Aid set and later Wembley 1986 gig on TV

Made many thousands of pounds trading their wears/rare vinyl, foreign issues, pictures discs, memorabilia over past 25-30 years

and add stacking PM since the mid 2000s 

I STILL didnt buy anything they had on offer today :( 

you only have one chance to make one good impreression and WOW what a dispaointment Royal Mint 

RANT OVER 

19 minutes ago, Paul said:

As a life long fan of Queen since 1985 when i first saw them when i was a weeny bairn paddling in a pool on the July summers day i got hooked & transfixed to the TV watching the QUEEN live Aid set and later Wembley 1986 gig on TV

Made many thousands of pounds trading their wears/rare vinyl, foreign issues, pictures discs, memorabilia over past 25-30 years

and add stacking PM since the mid 2000s 

I STILL didnt buy anything they had on offer today :( 

you only have one chance to make one good impreression and WOW what a dispaointment Royal Mint 

RANT OVER 

Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I heard about Sasha Baron Cohen trying to make the Queen movie, the other guys wanted it to be heavily be about them, not just Freddie

Lets be honest an iconic pose of Freddie would be the way to go for a Queen coin, even if it's just his silhouette 

But I can't imagine the existing members agreeing to that because it has to be about them too 😝

I timestamped

Edited by Kman

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 minute ago, Kman said:

Maybe I'm wrong, but from what I heard about Sasha Baron Cohen trying to make the Queen movie, the other guys wanted it badly to be about them and not just focusing on Freddie

Lets be honest an iconic pose of Freddie would be the way to go for a Queen coin, even if it's just his silhouette 

But I can't imagine the existing members agreeing to that because it has to be about them too 😝

Borat/Sasha wanted it to be all holds barred for the hedonistic life Freddie choose to part take in - he wanted to control too much of the poetic license of a character

Brian & Roger & Jim Beach Queens Manager will and always protect the brand that is "Queen" and hence why Bohmeian Rhapsody film COULD have been, EDGEier and controverisal - but they chose to shine things in the best light

Sasha & Queen Productions fells out of sort hence why it took years longer that it should for the movie, than orignally planned

Then the "me-To" stuff with (original) director of Bohemian Rhapsody Bryan Singer delayed matters

They got Rami Malek - Mr Robot. and to be totally fair he made a 101% kick ass perfect wonderful job for the movie for Queens front man. PERFECT pick

Sadly John Deacon (bassist), retired from public life not long after Freddies parting. Hes not toured, been part of further albums, gigs, appearences, musicals, etc. or made any reference to in Royal Mint pages for this coin, but im sure he is still quite happy getting his monthly royality cheques from Queen Proudctions they are all equal shares in 

https://companycheck.co.uk/company/01226628/QUEEN-PRODUCTIONS-LIMITED/financials

they aint short of a bob or ten ££ million

There was also one for sale at £2,500. He can ask £1Million for it. It doesn’t mean he will get it. Note the “make offer” button!! 

Decus et tutamen (an ornament and a safeguard)

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OjxoCIsDbMgx7MM_l4CmA

So far nobody has owned up to buying the silver 1oz,thought their might have been at least one in the "today I received " today. Well I admit it,mine's waiting at home,and as long as it hasn't fallen foul of royal mint "quality check" I'm really looking forward to seeing it in hand.

Anyone looking to flip or sell their QUEEN Royal Mint coins - instead of listing to usual "Coin's" category on eBay 

Rember "QUEEN" have their own memorabilia catergory

MUSIC --> MUSIC MEMORABILIA --> Musical Artist & Group Memorabilia --> Queen (Musical Artist) Memorabilia

It is catergory :#2355

I think this is where the secondary sales will be made, Queen fans , as opposed to coin collectors.  Also offer to worldwide shipping not just UK 

There are massive collectors in Europe, mainly Germany & Italy

They have massive following in South America (sold out 100,000+ football stadiums in 1981 tour) and far east (Japan) 

12 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royal-Mint-2020-Music-Band-QUEEN-1-4-QUARTER-OUNCE-GOLD-PROOF-Coin-With-COA/333486822609?hash=item4da55d14d1:g:KFYAAOSwtqNeJfd2

the first gold QUEEN re-sale 1/4 oz 

RRP £510

Sold for £670

+£160 profit in one day (less fees/commission)

with this series if someone willing to post worldwide should guarantee a profit 

9 minutes ago, Jimmock said:

The 2oz is the limited edition one 

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

I'm so lucky, I just checked the Royal Mint website and saw the 1oz silver proof is available! So I snatched one for £90 while I could, and I see it is sold out again :D

They are going for crazy prices now on eBay, over £200. Also, sold out at Coin Connection.

I'm going to grade this one and sell it.