• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Buying from America, do we pay custom duty taxes etc?

goldmember44

I was just curious for the future, having looked at the Apmex website. Those who have bought coins from American companies or perhaps mints, how does it work? Do they slap a tax on your bought products at the border or what? Is it possible to buy coins safely from America without getting a scary charge?

Unfortunately, you do get slapped with a hefty customs and VAT charge plus a handling fee if you order anything outside Europe unless it’s ridiculously cheap. When I say ridiculously cheap I mean the one or two air-tite capsules I ordered from the US in order to avoid their hefty charges which come into effect if you order in bulk. There’s no way to get around the customs charge and handling fee because they slap it on you at the border and won’t surrender your parcel to you unless you cough up the money. Unfortunately, the same problems will occur when we leave Europe which is why I fast-tracked my order of a Mexican Libertad with CoinInvest in Germany before the Brexit deadline. I was not meant to order that Libertad for many months but Brexit drastically pushed forward my plans.

When importing items always ask the sender if they can sent DDP (Delivered Duty Paid), in essence this means the seller will add on the cost and pay the import duty at the point of sending the postage item.

The advantage is that Royal Mail dont get to collect the import costs at your door, a service they charge about £8 for.  In fact IIRC royal mail/postal company actually pays your import cost to HMRC for you and then collects it (With their additional costs) at your door at delivery time.

Paying up front will save you a fair amount on import costs.

Just DONT do it

wait until you go on holiday, have them deliver to your hotel and then travel home with it in your hand luggage as ‘duty free’. I do this with silver and golf balls 👍🏻

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

16 minutes ago, SilverPirate007 said:

Is this secure? Do hotels allow this?

I have never had a problem, but I do make sure the package only arrives courier while I am at the hotel and not in advance 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

@goldmember44 Do a search on here, there are numerous threads about buying from outside the EU, if you are buying numismatic items the VAT is only 5% plus PO charge for collecting VAT on behalf of HMRC. The problem is 50% of the time  customs ignore the codes & slap you with 20% VAT, then you have to put a claim in to get the excess VAT they charged you back, its all hassle but they always pay you back.

There are always ways & means to get stuff from outside EU without being ripped off by customs, something I'm not going to discuss on an open forum, think imaginatively.

I offered recently to get some slabbed 2oz QB coins from the US which a few people took up & are very happy with what they paid.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Sadly no getting around it if you buy mail order from the US mint or similar on silver. 

Not sure about Au!

I bought a few silver coins back from the US last year and declared at customs and was just waved through - they were not interested in my five coins. 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Any investment graded gold purchased from the US does not attract any additional taxes or tariffs or VAT. 

I am not too sure about silver however.

Definition of investment gold

Investment gold is either:

(a) gold of a purity not less than 995 thousandths that is in the form of a bar, or a wafer, of a weight accepted by the bullion markets

(b) a gold coin minted after 1800 that is:

• of a purity of not less than 900 thousandths
  • or has been, legal tender in its country of origin
  • of a description of coin that is normally sold at a price that does not exceed 180 per cent of the open market value of the gold contained in the coin

Archived