• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 7000+ members.

THIS INFO provided with no warranty or support.... do so at your own risk but I have and it worked for me today I'll be doing it again tonight on my home laptop and will update on the out come.

To all those out there panicking because of the Windows 7 end of support situation and saying crud I have to buy a new machine then don't despair... the article below will show you how to upgrade 7 to 10 at NO cost.... I did this on one of my old windows 7 laptops at work today and yep fully upgraded to 10 and licensed legit..... it was a dell laptop with OEM windows 7 i.e dell installed the OS .

This works for a upgrade not a clean install.

Back all data up first of course also you will need to remove virus checkers before doing this. Also check your hardware can support.... Hope this helps some but if unsure go buy new.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/heres-how-you-can-still-get-a-free-windows-10-upgrade/

2 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

what about if you've got a pirate copy of win7 ?😎

http://www.classicshell.net/

The default mod for Windows users.  I run W8.1 since it came out but have the W7 shell running so I don't see or get any of those dumb W8 tiles.  If you're feeling particularly nostalgic you can set the Vista, XP or 2000 shells as well.

I expect you're familiar with KMSpico already but if not, that fixes any "your licence is about to expire" type messages. ;)

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

what about if you've got a pirate copy of win7 ?😎

I'm sure a man of your stature wouldnt entertain such an un-nobble action. You must be finding out for your wifes, cousans, half brother? 😁

The other alternative if you’re feeling brave and adventurous is to move from Windows to something like Linux Mint.

• Lighter on resources so your older hardware will run quicker and smoother.
  • More secure than Windows with less malware and viruses
  • Comes bundled with a free equivalent of MS Office
  • You can run it from a USB stick if you want to try it out before committing.

https://linuxmint.com/

2 hours ago, danmc82 said:

I'm sure a man of your stature wouldnt entertain such an un-nobble action. You must be finding out for your wifes, cousans, half brother? 😁

Actually nor far off the truth. I have a pukka copy of win 10 on one pc, a genuine win 7 another, genuine 7 on a laptop that is 12 yrs old but barely lives. However I must confess to having a pirate win 7 on another pc just for research you understand 😉

3 hours ago, goldking said:

The default mod for Windows users.  I run W8.1 since it came out but have the W7 shell running so I don't see or get any of those dumb W8 tiles.  If you're feeling particularly nostalgic you can set the Vista, XP or 2000 shells as well.

I expect you're familiar with KMSpico already but if not, that fixes any "your licence is about to expire" type messages. ;)

No I know nothing about all that. I did upgrade to win 8 when it was temporarily free from 7 but junked it. I can't be bothered to resurrect it as it was rubbish in order to regain MS support.

I got my final update 10 mins ago at 3.30 am, one last updade at the end of which came with a pop up saying no more support for Windows 7, I'm sure I will manage, the company that made my laptop went bust over 6 years ago so I've never had so much as a driver or BIOS update from them in all this time but it's still going fine.  I have a dual boot tablet that can boot into Windows 10 or Android and I hated Windows 10 when I tried it so it's always been set to Android.

Edited by Scuzzle

6 hours ago, CadmiumGreen said:

What if one were to still be operating on Windows Vista through a VM on a Mac Book Pro?🤨

I'd say carry on, if it's a VM then just have a copy as any dodgy stuff in the future would only corrupt your virtual disk... I have 20 vm instances of 7 xp and even 2000 running at work just ring faced from the outside world and specific firewall rules to prevent unknown connections occurring along with device control so only authorized USB etc devices can connect :)

23 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I expect you're familiar with KMSpico already but if not, that fixes any "your licence is about to expire" type messages. 

well yer good till 2023 for security updates ;)

how likely are you to get hacked/ viruses if you stick with windows 7 now security up dates have stopped ?

if  you have AV , firewall,  connect via a  router  , malwerebytes, win patrol , and VPN software ?

dean.m

I was putting off updating and now I have, I can see why I was putting it off! Add to that my 2009 PC with only 2gb Ram is finding it hard to cope with it. So much bloatware and spyware on Windows 10 it looks like it's been infected by malware. I miss the days when an operating system didn't step above it's station.

Linux would be okay if it didn't need you to be a computer programmer just to get it working, and it can't take programs like Photoshop, they only work on Windows.