• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

when buying silver pay melt

blindguy

i do not know about in the u k but here in the u.s. if i run ads to buy silver at melt i can buy a lot of silver. so much so that i stop buying for now. the ads i run are free ads on craigs list, facebook and flyers. The flyers work best with the older people like myself.  i have a hard time with facebook but a friend helps me and places the ads and we buy the coins together ( i hate facebook) so my question is do you do the same where you live?  jim

Buying silver at melt in the UK ???
Not a chance.
Maybe industrial waste but coins and bars - forget it.
We have to work around avoiding paying 20% VAT ( sales tax ) by buying from outside the UK but still inside the EU where goods can freely trade.
This however will come to an end in 3 weeks from now but due to political "extensions" we might get another year before we get shafted.
Count yourself lucky but if we need heart surgery over here we don't need to sell our house.

8 minutes ago, Clens92 said:

You'll still have to pay the duty when bringing it back into the UK...

Not for the next 11 months:

Assuming the European Parliament also gives the green light, the UK will formally leave the EU on 31 January with a withdrawal deal. 

The UK will enter a period, known as the transition, until 31 December 2020. Mr Johnson has said this date will not be extended.

Although the UK will cease to be an EU member, the trading relationship will remain the same and it will continue to follow the EU's rules, such as accepting rulings from the European Court of Justice.

11 minutes ago, blindguy said:

maybe the uk could set up a tax free trading with the states. i would love to see you guys in the uk buy metals and coins tax free  like i do in south dakota. it might be wishful thinking but who knows.  jim

That would be a dream! I would love to work in the US.

14 hours ago, blindguy said:

maybe the uk could set up a tax free trading with the states. i would love to see you guys in the uk buy metals and coins tax free  like i do in south dakota. it might be wishful thinking but who knows.  jim

It really sucks to see US folks able to purchase from bullion dealers, British manufactured silver coins for less than we pay domestically.

On 12/01/2020 at 10:21, blindguy said:

so my question is do you do the same where you live

Haven't tried this. I have told coin shops what I will buy and that I pay spot. So when they get a large bar or ugly beat-up coins they may call. But then of course I might not have the cash when they call! They can sell to wholesale and they get spot -0.50 for that. So they will call if they trust you will follow-through with the offer for spot.

Craig’s list is full of shady characters. I shy away. FB is FB. If you want the whole world to know

what’s for dinner, go on FB. I have seen flyers around, but mostly under spot offers. If you

are a yard sailor, there are some good deals to be had. I mostly don’t bother.

On 12/01/2020 at 09:21, blindguy said:

i do not know about in the u k but here in the u.s. if i run ads to buy silver at melt i can buy a lot of silver. so much so that i stop buying for now. the ads i run are free ads on craigs list, facebook and flyers. The flyers work best with the older people like myself.  i have a hard time with facebook but a friend helps me and places the ads and we buy the coins together ( i hate facebook) so my question is do you do the same where you live?  jim

I'm in the US as well and have thought of doing CraigsList but not comfortable doing transactions i.e. Alone or in a parking lot. Generally how do you do transactions and things like time of day, in public, a fast food place etc.... for safety purposes that customers are also ok doing? 

Thanks for any practical information you can pass on.

On 12/01/2020 at 09:59, SilverPirate007 said:

I’m going to buy mine from the EU when I go on holiday after brexit.

Do you guys have a limit in ounces or Ero's worth of metals that you can legally cross borders with? Does it make a difference if you take a car ferry, Chunnel or plane etc.... when going from country to country for any claims? 

25 minutes ago, fastlanwan said:

Do you guys have a limit in ounces or Ero's worth of metals that you can legally cross borders with? Does it make a difference if you take a car ferry, Chunnel or plane etc.... when going from country to country for any claims? 

No idea but I have never been checked at the UK border so I am planning on saving up and buying a monster box and sticking it in my luggage.

I'll be living with the fact i cant buy silver any more after the end of the year if need be.  I will then purchase gold sovs from abroad and just have them mixed in my wallet with outer coins.  Everyone keeps talking about silver getting VAT added on but a lot of people seem to forget that the government will likely stick VAT back on gold after Brexit.  It was only taken off to match Europe.  I know this is the silver forum but worth pointing out 😃

Archived