• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Oriental Border Britannia - Last in the Series

NeutronJack

Interesting to note that the 2020 Oriental Border Britannia (Mintage of 100,000) is apparently going to be the third and FINAL Oriental Britannia coin from The Royal MInt, following the 2018 and 2019 versions.

Only a slight variation in the border design compared to 2019, it seems.

Personally, I've liked all three variations of the Oriental Border Britannia, both in gold and silver. But, perhaps it's a smart move by The Royal Mint to limit this 'Oriental Border' theme to a series of three.      

Image (below) courtesy of Bleyer Bullion ...

1oz Silver UK Oriental Border Britannia Coin, 2020

NeutronJack

I like these as well, and have the 2018 and 2019 versions in silver and gold.

I think the 2018 design is the nicest and most cohesive border design as I think it's closest to the original trade dollar coins.  
From the point of view of my bank balance, I am pleased that they are drawing a line under this series after 3 coins :)

I also have a few of the Oriental silver Britannia’s from 2018 and 2019 and I’ve anticipated the wait for the 2020 version. This is the first time I’ve seen it. Why are they making it the last in the series!! 😢

Although short, I’ve looked forward to seeing the new designs because they’re different. Bloody spoil sports. 

13 hours ago, Jvw said:

Any news on when the 2020 coins will be made available? 

Soon I hope.

But if this is going to be the last year and with a mintage of only 100,000 (although that’s the 2019 mintage too) I suspect they won’t hang around for long and they’ll be at a slight premium too.

On ‎12‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 21:49, Jvw said:

Any news on when the 2020 coins will be made available? 

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 11:30, Foster88 said:

Soon I hope.

But if this is going to be the last year and with a mintage of only 100,000 (although that’s the 2019 mintage too) I suspect they won’t hang around for long and they’ll be at a slight premium too.

@Jvw and @Foster88

No actual mention of availability on The Royal Mint website (as of yet). They still seem to be focusing on the 2019 version, for now.

However, BullionByPost state that they expect it to be stocked from 20th January ...

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/silver-coins/britannia-silver-ounce/2020-1oz-silver-britannia-oriental-border-coin/

Whilst, Bleyer Bullion similarly mention that it will be available from late January ...

https://www.bleyerbullion.co.uk/1oz-silver-uk-oriental-border-britannia-coin-2020

Both have it available for pre-order now. But, of course, it's very likely to be available at more competitive prices elsewhere, shortly.

Also, interesting to note that while Bleyer puts the mintage at 100,000 (for the silver), BullionByPost puts it at 50,000. So, somebody has their wires crossed.

NeutronJack

On ‎13‎/‎01‎/‎2020 at 16:15, BullionBuyer said:

@NeutronJack  How do you know they are the last in the series? 3 seems pretty small for a Royal Mint collection. I personally really liked the last 2 - especially the 2018 Oriental Boarder.Will be looking to get this one at some point.

Hi @BullionBuyer

Bleyer Bullion's webpage states the following:

"For 2020 The Royal Mint bring you a third and final Oriental Britannia coin"

https://www.bleyerbullion.co.uk/1oz-silver-uk-oriental-border-britannia-coin-2020

Whilst BullionByPost says:

"Please note: This is the final year that the Royal MInt will be releasing an Oriental Britannia silver coin"

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/silver-coins/britannia-silver-ounce/2020-1oz-silver-britannia-oriental-border-coin/

Simiarly for gold ...

"Please note: This is the final year that the Royal MInt will be releasing an Oriental Britannia gold coin"

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/gold-coins/britannia-1oz-gold-coin/2020-1oz-gold-britannia-oriental-border-coin/

I'm with you on that ... although somewhat strangely ... I preferred the 2018 version in silver rather than gold and the 2019 version in gold rather than silver!

NeutronJack

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Does anyone have any info on the silver proof versions? I’m keen to get some, if there are any out there! Cheers.

I have a couple of 2018 1oz Silver Proof BRITANNIA - Oriental Border slabbed PF69.

PM me if you are interested and I will get them out.

Archived