• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Anyone sold large ish amount of gold?

Cornishfarmer

Why not put up what you want to sell for the price you want eg you need £50,000 all sales will be cancelled if total not achieved.  Example if you sell only 31,000 then all sales cancelled then take your coins to a dealer.  Plus have a minimum sale price eg £1000 so you are not posting to many parcels 

2 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

You will get spot here (or there abouts), i was in HGM yesterday and they pay 93% of spot for Gold, no premiums for anything just done on weight

according to their website calculator they pay 97% for sovs and most other gold coins.

IIRC they did have a discount code publicised on here a few years back to give an extra 1%

I think @arshimo2012 knew about this?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I sold almost 20 oz of gold to sharps Pixley in the summer, I must say it was supper easy and fast.

First they told me how much they would pay me for each  coin ( they pay under spot and no matter how numismatic your coin is, they only pay you for the gold content of the coin)

Then they tested all the coins, once their test was completed they gave me a sheet explaining the type and number of coins I'm selling, how much I get for each coin and how much I get in total.

They took my bank details and money was in my account in two hours.

20 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Worst thing is it’s an auction so won’t know until after if I have to sell or not

I didn't read your post thoroughly but given this scenario- I guess if you are the buyer at the auction- you will have to pay an initial deposit and the balance within a set period of time

I guess you could have a one day sale here on the Forum- I remember @Paul clearing out a fair bit of Gold here on a couple of occasions and very quickly.  Whatever's left you would still have time to get yourself to a dealers to flog them the rest- looks like @Nick1368 had a very quick 2 hour payout from Sharps Pixley.

obviously forum is my priority to sell coins especially if I have coins of numismatic value but even billion coins I prefer to sell them here.

the reason I sold 20 oz to sharps Pixley was because:

1- they were all bullion coins and I was still making profit on every single coin even tough I was selling them under spot.

2- I was very very  busy at the time and didn't have the time to post and package all those coins to a lot of different buyers on the forum, basically the extra money that I would have made by selling them on the forum was not worth my time.

and remember you can sell coins on the forum easily but you have to sell them at a good price and here good price for bullion gold means spot price, so I sold them little bit cheaper but fast and secure and all in one go.

13 hours ago, Cornishfarmer said:

Thank you everyone for their responses plenty food for thought.   10% on fall of hammer and rest in 28 days. 

Don't know if you've ever bought land at auction but watch out for the auctioneer, they are a pretty imaginative bunch when it comes to ramping the bids!😎

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

17 minutes ago, Toshunya86 said:

is it guaranteed to sell here if i sell sovereign or any other recognized bullion at spot ?

I sold every single coin that I listed on this forum and got paid for all of them without any problem and I listed  a lot of coins here, so I'd say the answer to your questions is yes.

On 10/01/2020 at 17:37, Cornishfarmer said:

Some land coming up for sale near me:   Anyone sold a largeish amount of gold?  Some nice coins don’t really want so sell under spot anyone with experience with selling to the likes of chards, Atkinson’s or HGM and if they will pay over?  

Everyone needs an exit strategy and my last option would be to sell to a UK dealer. Dealers in Europe/US/Australia offer closer to spot rates than dealers in the UK maybe worthwhile contacting them. My exit strategy involves selling over couple of months rather than trying sell the entire stack all in one go. To increase the number of eyeballs viewing items you have for sale list on eBay (plus PayPal and eBay fees) and same time put up for sale on the forum at a more competitive price spot plus postage (if it is just generic Gold bullion that has no premium). Link the sales thread on your eBay item(s) to the Silver Forum if anyone interested in buying without the inflated fees they can visit the forum. For this strategy to work you will have needed to built up a good seller reputation both eBay and TSF.

An alternative don't have eBay/TSF seller reputation contact someone who has a large social media presence and very established TSF / eBay seller reputation (aka @BackyardBullion) and see if he would interested in selling your entire stack for predetermined handling fee.

It has time take time to accumulate the stack and by the same token if you want to sell it for a competitive price than it should also take time to liquidate it.

On 11/01/2020 at 14:22, sovereignsteve said:

according to their website calculator they pay 97% for sovs and most other gold coins.

IIRC they did have a discount code publicised on here a few years back to give an extra 1%

I think @arshimo2012 knew about this?

Mse777 is the code I think it’s gone down to 0.5% bonus 

Do not use a broker to sell bullion!  

When I sold a sizable amount of bullion I rang around a lot of dealers, not just the main dealers.  If a dealer is short of stock they will offer you more simply.  

24hour sale on here all funds to be received by you in that period anyone that doesn't want to coff up straight away misses out if you've anything left sell to a dealer. You'd have to go post-office anyway. That's what I'd do if the time came to convert back to fiat 1% can be a hefty chunk if your looking at buying land 

Archived