• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Opinions on gold coins to add on to my Treasure!

fastlanwan

When I first started accumulating gold it was just US Eagles, then I also liked the look of the Canadian Maple leaf. Since I live in the US, a recogniseable coin is a factor upon reselling later in life. I also stack silver. I have always wanted to keep a general silver to gold ratio for myself to balance the pro's and con's of each. I needed to adjust this ratio by selling some of my silver which I did today. (Giant shout out to this forum for giving my guidance/tips on swapping silver for gold at my LCS)

My LCS only had 1/10th oz coins today as a previous customer bought all his 1 oz and 1/2 oz gold before I got there. So I will be buying online instead. I do like realistic type coins that are not a gimmick like Disney themes for my gold. I would like your suggestions on why you think is a beautiful sovereign coin with a comparable premiums over spot. I like to look at my coins now and then. 

So what would be your most beautifly, one oz. gold coin(s) that are also still readily available online? List as many or just "THE ONE" that hits you. I have not bought any yet but hopefully this post will inspire a coin I was not aware of or didn't see how nice it really was till someone mentioned it. I have enough money for (2) more one oz coins to add to my Maples and Eagles. I thank all of you that have read this post and those that respond even more. Good Luck in your own treasure hunts in life !

The Australian Kangaroo is the most beautiful bullion coin amongst these: Australian Kangaroo, Austrian Philharmonic, American Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf, Krugerrand, Britannia. The Krugerrand is the unsexiest of them. That's clear. Harder to make a ranking in-between. I would say no. 2 is either the Philharmonic or the Maple, the Philharmonic has the advantage of not depicting the Queen. The current year Queen portrait on the Kangaroo is actually the worst one from all 3 coins with the Queen on them. Still the most beautiful of these coins, that's not debate-able. Personally I think historic world coins that usually come in bullion and numismatic versions have more charm even though they might not always directly compete, aesthetically. That is e.g. the BritishSovereign, the Swiss Vreneli, the French Franc, the Austrian coins (Florin, Corona, Ducat), the German Mark, the  US Dollar etc. Aesthetically, I don't really have a favourite amongst them.

Agree with @silenceissilver, the Kangaroo is the best. I love the annually changing design and it's the Perth Mint. Everything they touch is amazing. I like finish on Canadian gold and think the Maple is 2.  I've never had an Eagle but hopefully that'll change soon. There is some beauty in the simplicity of a Krugerrand.

I love sovereigns. Think the horse looks so badass.

For straight stacking with a low premium and world-wide recognizability, I like the 1 oz Krugerrand...yes, plain, unchanged design, but just the statement a one ouncer Krugerrand makes. Most favorite however, would be the Libertad...some things just kind of stand out!😁

Your experience at the LCS has told you the popular size. The pre-33 US gold is coveted over more modern US coins. It certainly is in the UK and i imagine it is even more so in the US. So even if you end up paying a bit more of a premium for these coins i think it will turn out to be a good investment. Buy USA, you are going to sell on to Americans after all.

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

If you are someone who moves in the 100s of thousands plus  in terms of lifestyle, 1 ozers or bigger bars etc are fine. 

if you are someone who moves in life in the 10,000 or less, go with maple/krugerrand quarters or sovereigns,  if we are only talking about weight of gold.

But I would only go with government coins in the country you live in. If you have to, go with other government coins for recognisable effects and also in case the governments change their minds about taxation of other countries’ coins ( cf uk cgt on uk government gold as an example).

10 hours ago, fastlanwan said:

When I first started accumulating gold it was just US Eagles, then I also liked the look of the Canadian Maple leaf. Since I live in the US, a recogniseable coin is a factor upon reselling later in life. I also stack silver. I have always wanted to keep a general silver to gold ratio for myself to balance the pro's and con's of each. I needed to adjust this ratio by selling some of my silver which I did today. (Giant shout out to this forum for giving my guidance/tips on swapping silver for gold at my LCS)

My LCS only had 1/10th oz coins today as a previous customer bought all his 1 oz and 1/2 oz gold before I got there. So I will be buying online instead. I do like realistic type coins that are not a gimmick like Disney themes for my gold. I would like your suggestions on why you think is a beautiful sovereign coin with a comparable premiums over spot. I like to look at my coins now and then. 

So what would be your most beautifly, one oz. gold coin(s) that are also still readily available online? List as many or just "THE ONE" that hits you. I have not bought any yet but hopefully this post will inspire a coin I was not aware of or didn't see how nice it really was till someone mentioned it. I have enough money for (2) more one oz coins to add to my Maples and Eagles. I thank all of you that have read this post and those that respond even more. Good Luck in your own treasure hunts in life !

In terms of worldwide gold, just one coin, the sovereign, kruggerand or Maple, no contest, regardless of a 1 ozer or not.

re silver, stick to eagles or silver n american maples in 1 ozers or those marvellous crazy cheap spot price monster bars that you yanks are so good at !

So what did I do? I was convinced by some here that my love for the Britannia was true so I pick one of her and then I saw the 1/4 oz versions of the QB Original Dragon/Griffin/Original Lyon. Those I have loved the design of but was not aware of the 1 oz gold versions till they were gone primary markets. So I picked up the 1/4 oz version on Apmex. Don't know where they got these older versions in 1/4 oz size  in bulk but they have some. If I could have gotten a 1 oz Dragon I would have but that is water over the dam at this point.

Thank you all for your  input. BTW the Kangaroo would have been my 2nd choice is it was a 2018 version at normal Perth prices but its not to be. I'll post pics when I receive them. 

On 11/01/2020 at 03:34, fastlanwan said:

So what did I do? I was convinced by some here that my love for the Britannia was true so I pick one of her and then I saw the 1/4 oz versions of the QB Original Dragon/Griffin/Original Lyon. Those I have loved the design of but was not aware of the 1 oz gold versions till they were gone primary markets. So I picked up the 1/4 oz version on Apmex. Don't know where they got these older versions in 1/4 oz size  in bulk but they have some. If I could have gotten a 1 oz Dragon I would have but that is water over the dam at this point.

Water over the Dam? Where is this expression from? 

If you're ok paying a premium then for beautiful bullion it's queens beasts everytime in my opinion.  The 1/4oz aren't rare so it's not surprising to see them at Apmex. You can still get 1oz bullion versions too (perhaps not at Apmex), but the Griffin especially has hideous premiums at the moment, I think at one point it was as much as the proof version which is batshit crazy. 

When the day comes to sell, if you don’t have enough time to find a private Buyer for your coins and end up selling your coins to a dealer, you’ll only get paid spot price regardless of how much premium you paid for them.

I would go for the cheapest 1oz coin out there, pre 33 US coins are beautiful, huge history behind them and if you live in the US it should be pretty easy for you to source one and at the moment they don’t carry a huge premium, you’d pay the same premium as you pay for a Britannia, maple etc.

that would be my choice.

Archived