• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Over paying spot price

Robda1986

Would any one go over spot price and premium for a bar they have fallen for reason I ask is I've found a bar but it's more than I'd normally pay for a normal bar so the question is dose/ would anyone else make exceptions when buying silver?

I didn't think I would, when I started stacking (bullion only for me :) ).

That was until I found out about the S.S. Gairsoppa Shipwreck Silver bars and went a bit nuts, paying way above spot & premium.

I have also picked up some excellent hand-poured silver which commands a high premium, but I love the look and feel of them, so not in any way upset about my purchases.

i was actually thinking just that as well today - imagining paying a big price for a bar and then imagining selling at a future date and only getting offered spot price by a buyer who could take it or leave it. It is easy to buy silver but members have often found it is not as easy to sell or at least sell at a price they would like. 
i would look at what you could sell for in the market minus costs. How much does such a bar actually sell for at the moment - then you have a guide. If you don't find buyers as keen as you are right now you will likely end up selling at a loss in today's terms. Now the bar might be a bar you absolutely just must have but that is not generally the case. 

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

5 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

Head vs Hart decision I think 

When in doubt, follow the head.

For me, I have the rule to always keep minimum 80% of my silver in the lowest premium. The other 20% is meant for higher premium, but with the intention to sell for profit and acquire the lower premium silver.

In your case, if you don't think you can sell it at the higher premium, then it's just collecting. Determine a percentage for yourself how much of your total silver you want for collecting rather then pure stacking. Keep you from too many regrets later on imo.

7 hours ago, Robda1986 said:

Would any one go over spot price and premium for a bar they have fallen for reason I ask is I've found a bar but it's more than I'd normally pay for a normal bar so the question is dose/ would anyone else make exceptions when buying silver?

I think it depends on what it is and why you want it. If its for adding to your stack for accumulative wealth then calculate your average £/oz over your entire stack and see if you can absorb it. If it’s a must have for your personal ‘lust’ then what’s the harm of over paying if you intend to keep and admire and enjoy it. If you can afford to take the hit - take it and enjoy it 👌

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

29 minutes ago, SilverPirate007 said:

Where in the uk can you get bars so cheap?

Only TFS

Cheapest in UK is secondary market, also try german secondary market and/or coin bars (no/lower vat, higher premium)

3 hours ago, SilverPirate007 said:

Where in the uk can you get bars so cheap? I have been a little silly and bought a couple of bars from stockdale mint (cheap from them but 20% VAT) 

I've spoken to most if not all the local pawn shops in my area let them know what I'm after and they have my number so if anything comes up I get a text or a phone call also has the added advantage if some one tries to nick and flog my stack I'll stand more chance of finding it 

23 hours ago, daca said:

Cheapest in UK is secondary market, also try german secondary market and/or coin bars (no/lower vat, higher premium)

I'm in doubt about coin bars. They carry a higher premium then normal bars, but in Europe we do not pay VAT on them, being a sovereign coin. Premium is quite high on the coin bars, but lower then the equivalent in 1 oz maple leafs. You get about 3,5% more silver buying coin bar over 1 oz silver maple at Goldsilver.be atm.

For 1 oz maples however I know how much premium I will get back when selling. I do not know how well premium is preserved when selling coin bars. I guess it all depends how sought after physical silver is at the moment of selling.

For me personally my silver is a collection. Stuff I love so will pay premiums. As a libertad mentalist 🤪 I have no choice but to pay premiums. Silver in general is a pain to sell with weight ect. As for saving/stacking that's what my gold is for and try to buy as close to spot as humanly possible. Only 38 so many more years to put gold in the safe 😁

We all need to remember and use as guidance what type of silver we are here for? We are a Stacker or flippers or art collector. That should guide all of us when it comes time to buy. 

Now if you see a piece that you see as beautiful and would like to possibly display, then purchase it. But not for its silver nor for intention of selling anytime soon, as you see it as art. Nothing wrong with buying art. Ask Van Gogh's sister in law. (AKA Theo's widow- that made the $ from their work) 

I'm a sucker for a cool design or something old and rare. Blessing and curse of working at a coin shop :)
Luckily Nebraska, USA is still tax free for gold & silver sales. Just have to file IRS paperwork on over $$,$$$ transactions. 

• 1 month later...
On 05/01/2020 at 11:09, daca said:

Only TFS

Newbi here, sorry but what does "secondary market" mean? 

4 hours ago, Bibbs said:

Newbi here, sorry but what does "secondary market" mean? 

sale of preowned items.

Ex:  You've bought 10 kilo of silver years ago, now you need some funds and decided to sale back/or to other PM dealers 4 kilo.

The 4 kilo will be put up for sale by the PM dealer as preowned items =secondary market, this new operation will have lower/0 VAT, depends on the country where the PM dealer  it located.

As I am so new to the pm's I have real time experience of :

Buying because its pretty, Spending too much because its pretty, Taking a hit because its was pretty.

Now I could make a rule and stop buying things I like but where would the fun, the expectation, the buzz come from, all the things that hold my interest. It is really hard and I see myself doing it on a daily basis with coins and bars. Bars I now look at as paperweights there is too much of a premium to be anything else unless there is special antique value. Coins they are nice to have in hand but there are far too many being churned out by the mints that make you want to spend premium money on a series. 

If you are not a collector and you must buy general silver the only answer as I see it is as @KitboyE17 buy what you feel you like but keep your average for if you go over your average your just buying pretty paperweights 

IMHO

B

I don’t collect anything fancy- mostly 1-2 ounce BUNC- probably like most here I like gathering complete series. I’ll buy proofs to finish a series but apart from that, I’m not particularly drawn to them. Similarly, I’ll buy a coin in average condition to fill a gap- figuring that I’ll buy a better example when I see one.

In other words, I collect coins which fall somewhere between scrap and numismatic collector appeal. But I have never paid anywhere near as low as spot for any of them. Granted most have come with a capsule which accounts for 50p or so but the prices have rarely dipped below £20 an ounce, perhaps a couple of 2oz coins dropped to £35 for a while but the range they sold at, whether on ebay or various dealers, is all much of a muchness and between £20 - £30 when spot has ranged between £12 - £15.

Archived