• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Goldsilver.be order

silvernewbie

I used to use Transferwise when I first started stacking / collecting.  Someone on a siver facebook page told me about Revolut and I have never looked back.  Its really worth using, if you do use it try and avoid weekends as they have a slightly higher exchange rate to cover their arse in case of fluctuations.  That's just nitpicking it's still cheaper than using transferwise in any case.  

20 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

This is a great idea as i already have a revolut card and saves messing around with TW! 

But if i pay with the card and hold balances in eur, gbp etc, how do i know the card will take eur currency? 

It will believe me.

Euro being one of the major currencies it would be strange if it did not. The Revolut card, as you know, has the funds initially held in the same currency as the funding account. It is then just a case of creating a Euro account and converting to Euro.

One the screen displaying your Sterling account, just tap the top of the screen and select create new and choose the currency and bobs your auntie.

Might be a bit daunting perhaps but a quick play with the app will clarify things. You are unlikely to loose money except when the currency markets are going up and down like a yo-yo and you choose the wrong currency pairings to “see how it works”😕

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2020 at 11:54, Kussilver said:

Open an account with TransferWise. It’s quite straight forward you have funds on account in pounds,then pay in euro like a normal bank transfer. 

(May be this does not relate all this thread, but I have become aware that TW is no more accepted by some UK firms. They recommend now Starling and Monzo, that unfortunately are not opened to EU people. So be careful in using it in these confused days in all relations UK-EU and the other way around.)

If you pay with a no charges card like the Hfax clarity, pay for the item in Euro then you will get close to euro/sterling commercial rate which would be a far better exchange rate than the high street.

If you pay in sterling then you will get the exchange rate determined by the seller which is usually a lot worse. 

B

14 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Check out Revolut, its the cheapest option for converting GBP to EUR.  Cheaper than Transferwise.

I used transfer wise recently to pay in EUR from my Sterling and it ended up costing me and extra £17, not sure why as it stated the fee for using was only €2, I was paying €510 and it ended up costing me £450 which surly isn't a good exchange rate 

2 hours ago, Dexter said:

Same here, got raped on Transferwise fees for an 1850€ transaction, i think almost 60€ ....

Gracious, before utilising Revolut I thought I had been hard done by with my bank charging me £10 for a similar transaction.

You have my commiserations.🙁

3 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Check out Revolut, its the cheapest option for converting GBP to EUR.  Cheaper than Transferwise.

Unfortunately also Revolut is not accepted now by the same UK firms who has refused me to use TW.

I know TW is working to solve this, but I fear it will need time.

2 minutes ago, jwcorreu said:

Unfortunately also Revolut is not accepted now by the same UK firms who has refused me to use TW.

I know TW is working to solve this, but I fear it will need time.

That sounds really strange, not disputing your assertion by the way. To not allow someone to use a UK registered bank with full FCA accreditation, very odd. Personally I would take my custom elsewhere.

42 minutes ago, Airhead said:

That sounds really strange, not disputing your assertion by the way. To not allow someone to use a UK registered bank with full FCA accreditation, very odd. Personally I would take my custom elsewhere.

Agreed, I have never had an issue with Revolut. I only use them when purchasing from GS.be but have made multiple payments without issue.  I would advise to buy or pay during the weekdays and you will get virtually the same conversion as the current exchange rate.  If you do it at the weekends they raise the exchange rate a little, presumably to cover fluctuations when markets are closed or some such shiz.  Nevertheless its still virtually still a straight exchange rate conversion. 

19 hours ago, Airhead said:

Gracious, before utilising Revolut I thought I had been hard done by with my bank charging me £10 for a similar transaction.

You have my commiserations.🙁

20 hours ago, Jamesstott93 said:

Sorry to hear that, your loss was certainly bigger than mine, and I was still pissed 

Checked my card statement it was 576 Croatian Kunas so that's in the end around 77€ - even worse.

For the Revolut weekend fees - It's cause the forex markets stop trading and Revolut does not know how volatile the market will be on opening time and may catch a loss if it goes against them.
I won't be using Transferwise for anything else than pulling money from PayPal from now on, money spending will go through Revolut... Lesson learned

23 hours ago, Airhead said:

Yes, me too, but they told to me that they no longer accept transfers from Revolut and Transferwise while they can accept them from Starling and Monzo as they are UK banks in their own right. May be Revolut and TW are using an intermediate financial medium to communicate with UK banks. I really do not know what happens but I hope this will be solved very soon. I fear that the same trouble are being experienced in UK towards EU.

10 minutes ago, jwcorreu said:

Yes, me too, but they told to me that they no longer accept transfers from Revolut and Transferwise while they can accept them from Starling and Monzo as they are UK banks in their own right. May be Revolut and TW are using an intermediate financial medium to communicate with UK banks. I really do not know what happens but I hope this will be solved very soon. I fear that the same trouble are being experienced in UK towards EU.

But Revolut is bank in its own right. Registered in the UK with an FCA listing and a European banking license also.

Coming back to GoldSilver.be, I would like visit them this Spring. I have found a not much clear page: https://goldsilver.be/en/content/4-a-propos where are showed two shops, I think. Have someone visited them? Which is the most interesting to visit? At least for the parking I would prefer the shop that is at Avenue Lavoisier 18, in Wavre, but I cannot understand why the GPS coordinates point to "INLOC International".

Archived