• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help please!

Archie

Can anyone  identify these markings I only normally buy coins 

however I have the chance to buy a item with these markings, would much appreciate if anybody could recognise

or have a look as I trying still but so many different dates and makers? "think maybe stick to the coins" 

I would be so greatful for any advice 

Thanks Chaps 

Archie …..

80866839_455199268765157_8944654124205473792_n.jpg

81313987_1233252213537305_6382792422329417728_n.jpg

The first hallmark has a Britannia silver mark. That's 23⁄24th silver by weight.
That should be a help to get you started. 
Silversmiths were melting down silver coinage for their pieces so they forced them to use a higher purity - Britannia silver so as to curtail coinage disappearing. Britannia silver was compulsory between  1687 and 1720. So you have an old piece of silver there.

Britannia, standard mark for silver fineness of 95,84 % (compulsory between 1687 and 1720)

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

Lion head erased, in use as London Mark for silver of Britannia standard

That's the London mark

Always cast your vote - Spoil your ballot slip. Put 'Spoilt Ballot - I do not consent.' These votes are counted. If you do not do this you are consenting to the tyranny. None of them are fit for purpose. 
A tyranny relies on propaganda and force. Once the propaganda fails all that's left is force.

COVID-19 is a cover story for the collapsing economy. Green Energy isn't Green and it isn't Renewable.

My hunch is this is a 1713 year mark.

tavola312bis.jpg

This is a drinking mug with a date given as 1713 - it is the same year mark as yours.

QUEEN ANNE BRITANNIA SILVER "KITCHEN" CASTER , marks verso

The maker's mark - haven't found what that is - i noticed that the maker's marks were different then.

London 1700 - William Scarlett

This is given as London 1700 - William Scarlett

Notice that the maker's mark is SC - the first two letters of the surname rather than the maker's initials. 

So your piece would have been made by a London maker around in 1713 with the surname starting ME - it looks like ME on your piece.

Love to see the whole piece to see what it is. You seem to have a real find there.

Thankyou very much @sixgun that is a huge help this piece is a large salver 6.2kg

im still sat on the fence whether or not to do this deal as normally I do coins,

just finding it so difficult to trace the maker im told he was a good one, looking at all the dates and 

makers has absolutely overwhelmed me in which I have found very interesting.

Again @sixgun very much appreciated for your advice.

kind Regards 

Archie …...

6.2kg - OMG - This is an historic piece of silver and massive. With some extra work the maker's name could be found.

A virtually pure silver salver, what a prize that would be.

yes its nice but so is the price and im nervous about this deal but am getting a feeling

that ive landed onto something good just wished one had more experience within this field 

@jultorsk has found the guy - as i mentioned earlier they tended to use the first two letters of the surname. 

From a bit of a scout around, this chap is top drawer - he clearly made some massive pieces which only the very wealthy would be able to afford, so naturally he made silver for the elite.

Here is a sideboard dish - 7.2kg -  Price realised - £34,850. i notice the date is 2012 - so the silver price was higher at the time but nevertheless as i said the salver you are looking at is an historic piece - a real prize.

https://www.christies.com/LotFinder/lot_details.aspx?intObjectID=5628790

i take it the seller doesn't know the true identity of the piece or you wouldn't be asking about the hallmarks on the forum. 😉

On 02/01/2020 at 11:14, sixgun said:

My hunch is this is a 1713 year mark.

tavola312bis.jpg

This is a drinking mug with a date given as 1713 - it is the same year mark as yours.

QUEEN ANNE BRITANNIA SILVER "KITCHEN" CASTER , marks verso

I’m impressed. As they say knowledge is power. Good eye!

Archived