• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

2020 Gold Double Sovereign BU

CadmiumGreen

On 03/01/2020 at 21:05, Cornishfarmer said:

I’m guessing coininvest will be cheaper than the RMB website!

Currently building my silver stack so looking for Kooks, Koalas, Eagles & Pandas

Outside of silver I also run a technology YouTube channel http://youtube.com/thenorthernblogger

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBP now have a picture of the 2020 double sovereign.  They point out that it does not bear the George III mint mark.  To say that you could buy two 2020 bullion sovereigns (also without the George III mint mark) for £607, at £673 the double sovereign has a massive premium.

https://www.bullionbypost.co.uk/proof-sets/proof-2-coins/2020-two-pound-proof-gold-coin/

On 03/01/2020 at 21:05, Cornishfarmer said:

Coininvest with shipping works out at £603 compared to BBP £667!  Shows how much of a ripoff UK dealers are! 

£600 is only a slight premium v 2 sovs, but in theory there should be less of premium with higher weights eg quarter v half oz.  

prices could fall once these become more widely available. 

In the UK we just need to hope that Atkinsons will offer it for sale at no more than 2 x the price of a regular bullion sovereign.

Anyway - I want one, and will aim to buy when and if the gold price dips a bit versus today's level of around £1190-£1200 per ounce.

If you are just going to buy a bullion double sovereign then there will be lots about with prices reasonable once the froth has been blown off

If however you seek a Proof double sovereign then the mintage will be limited to 1760 and the Proof full sovereign limited to 9905 and has already sold out. 

https://www.royalmint.com/sovereign/2020-gold-proof-sovereign/sovereign-2020-four-coin-gold-proof-set/

One good thing is that my two Sovereigns which I purchased when I thought a sovereign is a sovereign is a sovereign turn out to be proof, not sure if they are worth any more but it is nice to know.

41 minutes ago, Kman said:

I honestly don't see the appeal, I don't think it will hold any value in the future beyond bullion so paying a premium beyond two normal sovs seems needless 

Totally agree, whilst they might look nicer I would not necessarily pay anymore than a "Bog Standard" Sovereign.

My current project is to collect the set of 2oz Silver Queens beasts, but I would not pay the premium for proof versions,.I know, bit of a cheapskate. 

RMB website pricing is slightly less than the price for 2 x normal bullion sovereigns.  I'm quite happy with that, well done RMB.  

Although I HATE their stupid website ordering process.

I will order one when (if) the gold price goes back down a bit, but would still potentially buy at today's level of just under £600 delivered.  The coin is a good size, and repesents something different for probably most of our stacks or collections (it certainly would be for mine).

On 10/01/2020 at 20:05, Kman said:

I honestly don't see the appeal, I don't think it will hold any value in the future beyond bullion so paying a premium beyond two normal sovs seems needless 

You're not paying a premium, they are they slightly cheaper than 2 sovereigns, 55p cheaper!! Definitely will be buying one of these this year, as they are bullion I'm sure they'll be ample to time unlike a proof.

6 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

You're not paying a premium, they are they slightly cheaper than 2 sovereigns, 55p cheaper!! Definitely will be buying one of these this year, as they are bullion I'm sure they'll be ample to time unlike a proof.

I'm out of the loop with the best place to buy gold sovereigns atm and I'm not sure the best place to buy the double

On HGM you can buy two bullions sovereigns for £576.42 + postage

The price for one double on CoinInvest is £593.99 + postage

Is there a better price than £593.99?

Help thread for members new to silver/gold stacking/collecting

The Money Printing Myth the Fed can't and don't money print - Deflation ahead, not inflation 

1 hour ago, Kman said:

I'm out of the loop with the best place to buy gold sovereigns atm and I'm not sure the best place to buy the double

On HGM you can buy two bullions sovereigns for £576.42 + postage

The price for one double on CoinInvest is £593.99 + postage

You can get sovereigns for less than the royal mint for sure, but by their pricing for the 2020 theres no premium. Weirdly they still have 2019 sovereigns which are less than the 2020 unless you buy a tube of 25, in which case the 2020 works out cheaper. However if you buy 25 single coins with the discounted price you'll pay more!?! 

I'd expect other dealers who buy in bulk from the RMt will start to offer the doubles in line with or less than buying 2 of the sovereigns they stock. Otherwise they won't sell. 

Yes there's better than 593.99, the silver forum usually. Sharps Pixely and HGM too.

15 hours ago, Kman said:

One of the chaps on the forum has written a nifty little app. . .

http://goldprice.eu5.net

It does not list a double sovereign explicitly, but gives a useful overview.

2020 Great Britain Gold Double Sovereign BU
Another notable feature of this coin is the reddish-colored gold alloy used in the production of these gorgeous British Double Sovereigns.

I am curious as to what people think of the red hue. I tend to like my gold “gold”.

5 minutes ago, Agnostic said:

Another notable feature of this coin is the reddish-colored gold alloy used in the production of these gorgeous British Double Sovereigns.

I am curious as to what people think of the red hue. I tend to like my gold “gold”.

Yellow 'gold' colour is gold + silver + copper.  Red 'gold' is gold + copper.  Green 'gold' is gold + silver.  The colour does change a bit over time

44 minutes ago, Agnostic said:

I am curious as to what people think of the red hue.

Thank you for pointing this out - I was not aware of it.  I have just bought one from BBP as they have reduced their prices by 10% and so they are now much near to the bullion price.  It will probably be a couple of weeks before I receive it as I paid by cheque, but I am really looking forward to examining it.

On 11/01/2020 at 22:35, Notafront4adragon said:

Coininvest is selling this for £593.99. Two sovs by H & B at £289 each, which is there current price is £578. So buying the double Sov definitely has a premium, in this case is a £15.99 premium. 

Archived