• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/10oz of .24 Au coin - Foolish antics

Tn21

I bought 2 yes TWO coins of the same ebayer not knowing what has happened until Arshimo2012 and lmehufc brought it to my attention. Kimchi rightly suggested to put a thread up on this. It helps prevent others from making the same school boy error I have made.  Thank you to you all. 

Cut a long story short these coins DO NoT contain 1/10oz of Gold. 

Below is the item description. Very cleverly worded as Junkbond suggested. 

The ebayer is refusing to offer me a refund. A dispute is open but I'm beginning to loose hope as he seems to have covered himself well. 

I was foolish to go for the coin in the first place without doing my research and background checks. I saw the 100% feedback in the 1000's and thought ok safe bet.

This coin is for suckers to be lured in, and unfortunately I was a sucker who got lured in. Twice. One was meant to be a gift for someone and the other was going to be a sale/exchange. 

Total damage just under £220 

Item number 184094069252

Screenshot_20191229-235204.thumb.jpg.7f49ad55ac7450c289b6c5924f7b0921.jpg

Whats done is done now and I don't know whether to laugh or cry about this. You got to give it to the ebayer he's conned me but he looks as though he has covered his back well.

Going forward I will just save up extra funds to maybe just buy a larger weight from a dealer i.e a Sov or 1/4 Oz, 1/2 Oz BNor off course from the forum.

Moral of the story becareful on eBay it is a minefield.

Will update the thread on the final outcome.

Screenshot_20191230-002310.jpg

Screenshot_20191230-002323.jpg

Feel gutted for you. Why on earth would reputable mint even make such coin obviously intended to scam people. Found this on YouTube.

I hope paying with PayPal taking the payment link to your credit card as this would be your last line of defence. I have bought some Gold on eBay but always UK Government minted and I was to find a fake then this would constitute counterfeiting as government minted coins classified as legal tender.

Sorry to hear that mate. eBay if full of vipers and I would not buy any metal from there. Well done to you for not trying to pass it on to the next unsuspecting person, I do hope you get a refund. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

I think laugh about it.  The responsibility here is on the mint producing a very peculiarly specified coin, doesn't seem they do so for others.  Which is a shame as its a nice coin.  

There are Mexican "silver" coins that contain only 10% silver, they routinely called silver on Ebay and even numismatic sites.  Should Ebay become an arbiter of what is/isnt gold and silver?  Do we expect all listings to give precise gold content breakdown?  As people with interest in numismatics, we should be knowing more about coins, not relying on a online boot sale market or sellers for verifying.  

@Tn21 thank you for bringing this to our attention, it does suck for you and I feel bad for you. As others have said, I've found you to be a very honest person to deal with. Unfortunately honest people are the easiest to con. The wording and the design of the coin make it easy to be fooled. It would appear the National Collector's Mint set out to fool people and sellers like yours exploited that. 

@Tn21  I think you will have a very good case pal, the advert was a deception & ebay should play ball, I haven't seen the ad only what you show, but they make no mention of the very large copper element to the coin. Good luck with it & let us know the outcome.

The problem with common sense is, its not that common.

Sorry to hear you are being scammed, this person clearly looks like a business seller, yet is not registered as a business on ebay - that would be illegal as it is witholding consumer rights to return (and whilst those rights are different for bullion - if this is not bullion they should apply)

I would consider attacking from the angle that he appears to be a business seller, and you believe your consumer rights are being withheld. That or paypal protection?

Kick up enough of a fuss and they will probably refund just to get you out the way. I would be threatening to report to various consumer action groups, watchdog, ect

Im not going to pretend to be a lawyer lol - but surly this must be against the law in some way - "obtaining money by deception" or similar? The price this person set is clearly set at pure gold price so there is no question what they are trying to do and that is deceive. 

"Fraud by false representation (Section 2)

The defendant: 

• made a false representation 
  • dishonestly 
  • knowing that the representation was or might be untrue or misleading 
  • with intent to make a gain for himself or another, to cause loss to another or to expose another to risk of loss.

The offence is entirely focused on the conduct of the defendant."

Going by the price they set you should have some sort of case here. 

If it were me and they were not going to refund I would consider taking them to court (but only after looking up potential costs) I would represent myself, and they probably would not show up and be a defult win anyway. 

very misleading - the fact the dealer won’t accept a refund (minus a re-stocking fee) is because he knows you were misled. 

What happened to the 14 day cooling off period on distant sales? Is saying ‘no refunds’ a waiver to this regulation? 

Can you not complain through PayPal? This product isn’t bullion due to its lack of PM content?

I will see to see if the eBay dispute can be settled. If it can't then my next step would be to see if PayPal can intervene. 

Will definitely keep the thread updated. 

If eBay reject it's a joke. That's so clearly deception. He says 1/10oz gold, it isn't 1/10oz of gold - plain and simple. 

Your job here mate is to make sure Joe Bloggs who's reading the complaint at eBay really understands the issue. They will know nothing about gold purity etc, or the standard ways of describing gold coins. Get all the detail into your appeal, make it VERY clear why this was miss sold, and I struggle to see how they can reject you. However if you leave Joe Bloggs at eBay to figure it out, you might not get the result you want. 

UPDATE 1 of 2

The first coin has been returned to the seller via special and has now been accepted on his end. I have been issued a refund by eBay and it will be in my account within 48 hours. 

I opted to pay for the special delivery service via royal mail. I'm down £6.60 on the first coin but it's better then being £100+ down. 

The second coin is in the dispute process still. Will update the thread on the outcome of that when the time comes. 

Definitely happy with the outcome of the first case. 

Thank you,

Thanks for the update so far, great result :)

As it's the same seller and the same 'product' why won't they just accept the second back, would that be seen as admission of guilt? Surely as the result should be the same they could do it 'without prejudice' or doesn't ebay work like that?

Archived