• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Should I treat bullion with care?

TheGeneral

Should I treat my bullion coins as bullion and stick them all in the same pot or should I treat them with care incase they gain some kind of numismatic value in the distant future? 

I have a lovely new box for my bullion and am tempted to stick them all in the same drawer loose. My thinking is that I will only ever sell for spot price if I’m lucky so why treat with too much care? (Currently kept in tubes and capsules). 

as always I appreciate your experienced input.

My line of thinking on this used to be where you pay a premium on silver coins you should do everything you can to try and be able to recoup that premium in the future. I've reached a point now though that many seem to reach on the forum where its become clear that storing all those individually protected coins simply isn't practical. For you I would suggest basing this entirely on your end game plan. If your plan is to sell at spot price then it simply doesn't matter - store them in whatever way is the most practical to store them. The most basic bullion coins are minted in the millions so its hard to imagine there being much numismatic value attached to them in the future.

56 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

Should I treat my bullion coins as bullion and stick them all in the same pot or should I treat them with care incase they gain some kind of numismatic value in the distant future? 

I have a lovely new box for my bullion and am tempted to stick them all in the same drawer loose. My thinking is that I will only ever sell for spot price if I’m lucky so why treat with too much care? (Currently kept in tubes and capsules). 

as always I appreciate your experienced input.

As long as you don't play pitch and toss with them I wouldn't worry too much. Personally,I keep mine in a bag in a safe place. 

Yes, it’s true that bullion is not bought for its appearance, but for its intrinsic precious metal value which won’t be affected by any damage. In fact, some bullion coins may have slight imperfections. However, you won’t want to cause any damage to your bullion - and it’s also possible that damage to your bullion coins may affect their resale value, so it’s important to avoid it. It’s also important to remember that the purity in your bullion coins is much higher than that of wearable jewellery which means they are more easily damaged than coins that are blended with other metals.

46 minutes ago, TheGeneral said:

2019 Britannia x 50 and 40 x 2018 ASE. 

Wouldn't worry too much then mate unless they are 'special' years bullion (privy marks, special design etc).

If they aren't then that's about as close as you get to 'spot only' resale price, so do what you like with them imo!

They might be easier to sell/get a few pennies more for if they're 'pristine', but I wouldn't have thought those two in particular are worth a second though really (if at all!) :)

Considering the numismatic sovs people buy now were just bullion when sold (and actively used, rather than ours now) and go for a lot more if they're in very good condition, then it might be good to keep them a bit safer if you (or family) are thinking of selling them in 80+ years.  Otherwise, nah not really - there isn't enough rarity or time for them to gain numismatic value and will sell near spot either way.

I have a number of coins which are Bullion but have some level of scarcity and or are just particularly high grade for the year of issue. I put these in cases to protect them. 

Run of the mill coins - I leave in tubes

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

On 25/12/2019 at 16:04, TonyS said:

I wouldn’t thank you for a scratched or damaged coin. They maybe “just bullion” but they also have an aesthetic value.

On 25/12/2019 at 17:25, trp said:

I treat my bullion with care, but I think that’s the collector in me, I get a nervous twitch if I clout them about 😂 

I’d like to find a 10ozT US strategic bar that looks like it has been kicked around the block a few times. I’m not having much luck at the moment and following Christmas I can’t afford it.

In the meantime I’ll stick to reasonable quality bullion.

On 25/12/2019 at 17:25, trp said:

I treat my bullion with care, but I think that’s the collector in me, I get a nervous twitch if I clout them about 😂 

I'm exactly the same ;)

Therefore, all of my bullion coins are in individual capsules.  I love them for their aesthetics as well as their intrinsic value.

Archived