• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Fake Maple side by side

Stacker2020

So this is a post about the benefits of a neodymium magnet in your pocket.

I carry around a magnet and coin size tester at all times...costs about £6...just incase I happen across anything on my travels.

Earlier yesterday I made a nice score at an antiques store. Picking up some 2013 maples. I cracked out my size tester and magnet and was happy they were legit.

Later that day in a market I came across a guy selling jewellery and odds 'n sods. He had a few pots of various coins for 25p and a few seperate ones, there was a 2013 maple. I asked the price, £15. I didn't need the sizer, the magnet stuck hard. However the sizer did work. The fake wouldn't fit whereas the original does.  When you do a visual side by side its very clear which the fake is. 

I gave him £1 for it so I could do this post. Long story short, get a neodymium magnet in your pocket!

20191224_084111.jpg

20191224_084210.jpg

20191224_084238.jpg

20191224_084610.jpg

20191224_084829.jpg

You do get use to the kind of lustre some of these coins have and how they are meant to look, feel and sometimes even smell (yes! I do think different coins have different smells...I may be slightly odd! 😂). The fake ones can often be super easy to spot but some are amazingly accurate  

Measurer is a simple but effective bit of kit...I like it! Great post and thanks for sharing @Stacker2020

6 hours ago, trp said:

You do get use to the kind of lustre some of these coins have and how they are meant to look, feel and sometimes even smell (yes! I do think different coins have different smells...I may be slightly odd! 😂). The fake ones can often be super easy to spot but some are amazingly accurate  

Measurer is a simple but effective bit of kit...I like it! Great post and thanks for sharing @Stacker2020

l-smells-like-money-gift-card-holder__76057.1543278342_1280_1280.jpg.ac0ff220e9455849b926bab181149aa8.jpg

Archived