• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Low quality coin capsules off ebay

Thesilverman500

Hi I bought a coin case for 8 coins today. I had to transfer the coins from their original capsules into the ones provided with the case. It was only cheap at 10 pounds. They seem to he low quality, not very air tight as you can open them easily and not smooth around the edges, there seems to be bumps where they were once joined to each other. Do you think it's ok to keep the coins in these capsules? Thanks

Hard plastic acrylic capsules are fine in my humble opinion. Just stay away from soft plastic to avoid green coins 😮

The bumps where they were previously joined can be smoothed out in seconds by a nail file if needed. I picked up 100 of these capsules for I believe £8 😄

IMG_3416.thumb.JPG.0c8fe88ca81b55fd3e41318fea43c7b2.JPG

7 minutes ago, Melon said:

Hard plastic acrylic capsules are fine in my humble opinion. Just stay away from soft plastic to avoid green coins 😮

The bumps where they were previously joined can be smoothed out in seconds by a nail file if needed. I picked up 100 of these capsules for I believe £8 😄

IMG_3416.thumb.JPG.0c8fe88ca81b55fd3e41318fea43c7b2.JPG

Nice stack, will poor quality capsules increase the chance of nill spotting do you think? Would it not be better to transfer them to air tites? Thanks

Just now, Thesilverman500 said:

Nice stack, will poor quality capsules increase the chance of nill spotting do you think? Would it not be better to transfer them to air tites? Thanks

I personally don't think so, but then I know nothing about Silver to be fair and Gold doesn't tarnish in the same way. 

Quite interested to hear the opinions of others on this as well. 

"will poor quality capsules increase the chance of spotting and tarnishing?"      YES, cheap plastic will frack up your silver. Something to do with the petroleum used in the cheap plastic. Buy the airtites, they utilize a specific type of acrylic that doesnt bleed into the silver...

• Founder & Administrator

After the Pert Mint Capsules. These are the best capsules IMO http://www.air-tites.com

If you are in the USA can easily by direct from them.

if in the UK or Europe, @morezone has some for sale: 

If you would like cheaper ones there is the lighthouse brand, but they have pretruding edges, if in UK: https://www.coingallery.co.uk/coin-capsules-34-c.asp

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

1 hour ago, STONE said:

"will poor quality capsules increase the chance of spotting and tarnishing?"      YES, cheap plastic will frack up your silver. Something to do with the petroleum used in the cheap plastic. Buy the airtites, they utilize a specific type of acrylic that doesnt bleed into the silver...

Do you mean PVC (polyvinyl chloride)? That's in soft plastic flips, not hard capsules. Not heard of petroleum damage before, if it's something different then further info would be appreciated! Thanks 

Sorry but I dont remember the specific compounds. It was a few articles I read a few years ago that showed pictures of silver kept in cheap capsules and the guy said to stay away from them. We pay good money for the higher end coins so there is no reason to skimp on the holder. There is no way to know what is used to make the low end holders. Air tite has a specific product made not to harm its contents...

Thanks, 

Would you say the capsules the coins come in are ok usually if you pay a good premium on the coin from a known dealer or would you still transfer these to air tites.

If so how is this done because I tried transferring a coin I recently bought which wasnt that expensive and when I took it out using the cloth for my glasses spots began to appear then disappear and I notice some milk like spots on it already.

13 hours ago, STONE said:

Sorry but I dont remember the specific compounds. It was a few articles I read a few years ago that showed pictures of silver kept in cheap capsules and the guy said to stay away from them. We pay good money for the higher end coins so there is no reason to skimp on the holder. There is no way to know what is used to make the low end holders. Air tite has a specific product made not to harm its contents...

13 hours ago, Serendipity said:

I encountered a whole host of problems with loose-fitting lighthouse capsules before settling on more tight-fitting air-tite capsules. I agree with the previous forum member’s comment that we should never skimp on holders.

11 hours ago, SilverGameOfThrones said:

Do NOT go by cheap china capsules from ebay

Guardhouse produces high quality capsules i use only them 

4 hours ago, Draconicus said:

Don't forget the real problem with "bad plastic" capsules in Numismatic are in fact it's they're pH value :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH

Under certain acidity, coins inserted in low quality capsules can be irreversibly damaged over the years.

Well you've all officially freaked me out into think my coins are being eaten by plastic gremlins as we speak 😮😭

Edit: Lighthouse capsules on the way 😂

Ive got lighthouse caps for some of my sov/half sovs and there are a couple that are starting to disintegrate. It almost feels like they are melting. I'm am going to stick with rm screw and airtites. 

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

4 hours ago, Thesilverman500 said:

"Would you say the capsules the coins come in are ok usually if you pay a good premium on the coin from a known dealer or would you still transfer these to air tites."

Usually the mints are using high quality capsules but its hard to say about each dealer. Some care and some dont care about the capsules. Whether its done to save money or out of ignorance is anybodys guess. You could always contact a dealer before purchasing and ask them which capsule they use.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Ive got lighthouse caps for some of my sov/half sovs and there are a couple that are starting to disintegrate. It almost feels like they are melting. I'm am going to stick with rm screw and airtites. 

RIP, I just bought a bunch of lighthouse caps because of this thread 😭

Sod it, sticking with them now, not buying a 3rd round! At least they'll be better fits then the generic ones I had before 😆

Is acrylic (poly methyl methacrylate) really chemically inert?  Don’t they add other chemicals to acrylic in almost every case and haven’t there been a number of reports about methacrylate leeching into foodstuffs when stored in acrylic containers?

I wouldn’t worry too much about the containers you’re using as long as you stay away from pvc, paper/card and loose coins in wooden cabinets.  Polystyrene and polyethylene are supposed to be relatively safe so storing coins in zip lock bags should even work as it would also help keep them isolated from the atmosphere.

I have always used this guy, over the past 15 years  on ebay UK https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/andy_jack/m.html?_trksid=p3692

Quarter million feedback plus and still on 100% hes doing things right 

https://www.coingallery.co.uk/quadrum-coin-capsules-36-c.asp

is his site direct to save a couple of pence per item :) always super fast delivery from

4 hours ago, Paul said:

I have always used this guy, over the past 15 years  on ebay UK https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/andy_jack/m.html?_trksid=p3692

Quarter million feedback plus and still on 100% hes doing things right 

https://www.coingallery.co.uk/quadrum-coin-capsules-36-c.asp

is his site direct to save a couple of pence per item :) always super fast delivery from

Exactly the site I bought from yesterday, phew! 😁

I've got intercept  capsules from light house. Not sure if they are any good but they claim to 'actively prevent tarnishing' and guarantee this for 15 years, do you think there is benefit in transferring coins which come in capsules from their mints to these? I'm not so sure because I think you might be doing more damage to the coin by transferring them?

Received my Lighthouse capsules a few days ago.

I must say I'm impressed with the fast delivery (given the season) and also there were extras in the package which I believe was deliberate - always a nice touch!

They do close a lot more firmly/securely that the previous ones I was using, so feels like a worthy upgrade. Also sized to fit rather than using 25mm capsules for everything 🤣

Archived