• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What’s it worth? Calling all gold sovereign buyers....

Foster88

Hi all, 

ive been watching a half soverign and can’t decide wether to buy or not. I have no idea if it’s rare which it is listed as rare. (I shouldn’t be buying but selling at the moment....anyway)

I’m wondering, the other soverign collectors and buyers, what would you pay? Photos attached are of the actual coin.

The head side is quite worn but is it worth much more than spot price?

Thanks 

Foster88

I’m no expert on sovereigns but judging by your other post on selling in the new year you just have to wonder if you will easily sell a coin like this at short notice. 

If your in a rush for the money, then it will go for spot, if you have time then you might get a Numismatic price for it.  

At the moment I only buy for bullion value but I am slowly trying to learn more about the numismatic side as my collection becomes more varied.  

Sorry I can’t be of help.  

For approximate reference (price in AUD).

Screen Shot 2019-12-06 at 4.58.02 pm.png

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, Foster88 said:

The trouble is that I’m not sure what the right price is? 🤔

That's up to you :rolleyes: 

Half sovs of that series are hard to come by, and usually very worn. The piece in the Australian auction looks pretty much above average. Your piece should be far below in (hammer) price.

5 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

The 1865 is one of the lower mintages if not the lowest of this type of half sovereign, so it has that going.

Not the lowest mintage but rare nonetheless. In fact almost all this series would be classed as rare, except perhaps the 1863

It's a bit more worn than I'd like but I would buy it for the small 5 in the date alone.

Price will be interesting; probably not that many collectors but too worn for many. Good gap filler.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

3 hours ago, Seasider said:

Well I was hoping it would go for close to the low estimate but I think you've put the kibosh on that!

I saw an 1862 version go for over £4000 but I think that was in better nick and presumably rarer.

Ah you’d spotted it too I see. 🤔

@Foster88 forgive me if this is wrong as I don’t know the auction house in question, but if you bid in person or via their actual website the premium can often be cheaper than using a third party site such as The Sale Room or EasyLive, these add their own premiums on top of the auction houses. Gives you the opportunity to either save a little money or spend a little more, whichever way you want to look at it! :) 

On 06/12/2019 at 18:20, Melon said:

Free advise - when planning on bidding on something at auction, don't tell the forum full of people interested in buying that type of thing about it 🤣

Agreed and lesson No.1 for 2020.

Keep this 👄 closed. I know some women (no offence intended) who would have kept this > 👄 quiet. 🙄 Slap on the wrist for me.

2 hours ago, sg86 said:

@Foster88 what did it go for out of curiosity?

£220 hammer + only 12% premium but still more than I wanted to pay😉 I had my eye on this auction as it's handy for me to collect from.

Expensive auction in the end; bog standard bullion sovs fetching about £310 total and a suspicious looking 1887 £2 went for £750

also some ridiculous estimates and obviously high reserves on some PCGS graded shields, all passed🙄

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

1 hour ago, sovereignsteve said:

£220 hammer + only 12% premium but still more than I wanted to pay😉 I had my eye on this auction as it's handy for me to collect from.

Expensive auction in the end; bog standard bullion sovs fetching about £310 total and a suspicious looking 1887 £2 went for £750

also some ridiculous estimates and obviously high reserves on some PCGS graded shields, all passed🙄

I wonder who bought the 1865 half sovereign. Hmmmm 🤔

I too watch this auction as it’s ‘local ish’ to me and I can’t believe the standard half and full sovereigns are still going for the same prices they did in the summer. You’d think someone would tell them that the gold price has dropped since then!! 

On 06/12/2019 at 18:00, trp said:

@Foster88 forgive me if this is wrong as I don’t know the auction house in question, but if you bid in person or via their actual website the premium can often be cheaper than using a third party site such as The Sale Room or EasyLive, these add their own premiums on top of the auction houses. Gives you the opportunity to either save a little money or spend a little more, whichever way you want to look at it! :) 

Thanks for the advice. This is what I usually do anyway. It saves the extra commission for the privilege of using a third party to bid on your behalf. It makes no sense really.

Archived