• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Treasure hunter finds Britain's biggest-ever nugget of 22-carat gold

AurumArgenti

1 minute ago, Martlet said:

4.2 oz, how can the report get the valuation ~20x out, or is there something special about this gold?

Seems we've been doing it wrong all this time. Paying premiums for fancy coins when lumpy gold is apparently much more valuable! 

36 minutes ago, AurumArgenti said:

I believe large nuggets are rare and carry a very large premium above thier spot value.

Compound that with the premium on Scottish gold also and I think you have your answer.

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

1 hour ago, Martlet said:

4.2 oz, how can the report get the valuation ~20x out, or is there something special about this gold?

There is massive premiums for big nuggets. Just like with certain coins some collectors will pay be bucks for unusual ones. 

1 hour ago, AurumArgenti said:

I believe large nuggets are rare and carry a very large premium above thier spot value.

Thanks @AurumArgenti! I’m glad you picked up on this gold nugget find which I was just now reading about. I was staggered by the £80,000 valuation for the 4.2oz nugget which is worth more than its weight in gold. However, the large premium above spot must be due to its rarity as you quite rightly point out.

2 minutes ago, Serendipity said:

Thanks @AurumArgenti! I’m glad you picked up on this gold nugget find which I was just now reading about. I was staggered by the £80,000 valuation for the 4.2oz nugget which is worth more than its weight in gold. However, the large premium above spot must be due to its rarity as you quite rightly point out.

Either that or the newspaper exaggerated. But I can't imagine an established and well respected news outfit like the Daily Mail using exaggeration to drive views 😂

I thought it was just naturally occuring nuggets that were valuable. This one is clearly man made. It's 22ct so all we have to do is melt a load of bulliion sovereigns, cast them into some random shape and say we found it in a scottish river.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

9 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

I thought it was just naturally occuring nuggets that were valuable. This one is clearly man made. It's 22ct so all we have to do is melt a load of bulliion sovereigns, cast them into some random shape and say we found it in a scottish river.

Not all gold recovered is 24 carat 

They sometimes contain lots of other materials  copper and so on.

So you want to get them sovereigns out and melt them down lol 😂 

Apparently, carat derives from carob seeds which where used to measure gemstones. I guess the seeds were ubiquitous and fairly uniform in size and weight. 

Karat and carat may have been confused due to the gold Mark coin commonly used within the Holy Roman Empire weighing 24 carats. However carat was used instead of karat since the 16th century so I guess both are correct to describe gold. NEVER gemstones though. 

9 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Why do so many people who like gold talk about carats? It's karat for purity carat for weight. Kt not ct.

In America that is correct. In the UK 'carat' (ct) is the term used for gold purity. 

Karat or Carat UK
The karat (US spelling, symbol K or kt) or carat (UK spelling, symbol C or ct) is a fractional measure of purity for gold alloys, in parts fine per 24 parts whole.

On 03/12/2019 at 12:47, Martlet said:

Maybe due to it's carat size I guess it's valued at not it's melt value in ounces (obviously).

Larger gem sizes or more carats in the gem world are worth more usually.

Maybe a collector will pay for the carat size or whatever since large gold pieces being found is pretty rare especially 4.2 ounces.

side note: most of the gold that comes out of the ground is very small (more or so flakes and such or very small nuggets if that) and not even near an ounce from what I've seen over the years myself.

edit - add this in.

https://www.goldrushnuggets.com/gonubuti.html

"The size of a gold nugget is probably the first thing most people consider when valuing a gold nugget. The larger a nuggets is, the rarer it is. An interesting fact is that 98% of the gold that has been mined from Earth did not come in the form of a placer gold nugget. Most gold has been recovered my lode mining, by blasting it out of the rock. It is often so small that it can not even be seen by the naked eye (micron gold)."

Archived