• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1/10oz gold Britannia’s

Foster88

Hi all, 

im thinking of purchasing the new 2020 1/10oz gold britannia to start a new collection and probably my only collection of gold coins to purchase each year. I know you pay a premium the smaller the coin and the lower gold content. 

I’ve never seen one except for photos and I’m wondering if anyone else has them and are they really small to the point you can’t appreciate them or see the detail in the coin properly?

I’d be interested to hear from people who have them in their collection. The cheapest I can find is Atkinson’s for £128.38 as I write this. Is there anywhere to get one at a cheaper price? 

Thanks in advance. 

Foster88

Hi Foster! You're right, generally you pay a premium to buy in small quantities. This is because the cost of manufacturing the coin remains the same aside from the raw material, the dealer still needs to make a bigger % margin to make the smaller sale worthwhile, and the cost of postage is also a factor in adding to the premium when buying a single small coin. So yes - it can be more expensive.

However, I think many people start that way, and there can be advantages too. In real terms you need less capital to get started and try it out, and if you end up selling down the line you have the option to sell small denominations. 

Aesthetically 1/10 oz Britannia coins are small but attractive - they have a diameter of 16.5mm. It's roughly half the diameter of a full 1 ounce coin, as bear in mind thickness of the coin plays a big role in the weight. 

There happens to be some really good fractional gold deals popping up this week with very low premiums at Hatton Garden Metals who have a Black Friday sale. It's a well known London dealer, although bear in mind they are selling bullion condition coins. If you're near Hatton Garden you can even pick up in person to avoid postage costs. They tend to get stock in daily as people sell to them, so it's worth keeping an eye on their website to see if any 1/10 oz Britannia's pop up there. They had a couple earlier in the week at 1% over spot price which is really good. A half sovereign contains a similar amount of gold (slightly more) and may also be a good option to consider as there is a few in stock right now at 1% over spot;  

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/half-gold-sovereign

Another good option is to see if you can buy what you need at a good price off another forum member. There's a sales section on the forum, although priority is given to subscription members. 

Hope that helps! 

1/10oz Brits are a fraction smaller than a 5p piece if you would like something to compare them too. I have some 1/10ozers and like them, but as you say, I don't think they are as easy to appreciate at that size. 

Glad to have them though. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/11/2019 at 03:38, Foster88 said:

Hi all, 

im thinking of purchasing the new 2020 1/10oz gold britannia to start a new collection and probably my only collection of gold coins to purchase each year. I know you pay a premium the smaller the coin and the lower gold content. 

I’ve never seen one except for photos and I’m wondering if anyone else has them and are they really small to the point you can’t appreciate them or see the detail in the coin properly?

I’d be interested to hear from people who have them in their collection. The cheapest I can find is Atkinson’s for £128.38 as I write this. Is there anywhere to get one at a cheaper price? 

Thanks in advance. 

Foster88

I have some 1/10 Oz coins, like Maple Leafs, Philharmoniker, Britannia and an Australian Kangaroo. I do really like them but to be honest, I think they are a little too small to appreciate them fully. Except for the Australian Kangaroo, which is an absolutely beautiful coin.

I recently bought an 1/4 Oz Maple Leaf and that size is much better to me. I can imagine you'd rather buy a 1/4 Oz coin instead of a 1/10 Oz.

Some Gold -ANY GOLD is worth having - according to personal budget!

I recently purchased a "cracker" 2001 - tenth gold Britannia and I love it -

it is tiny in comparison to a 1/4 1/2 or 1 ounce - but they are CUTE! 

So easy for space saving storage and as a fractional probably easier to trade if & when Gold rises to high value in Fiat!

IMHO

On 28/11/2019 at 02:38, Foster88 said:

I’d be interested to hear from people who have them in their collection. 

Thanks in advance. 

Foster88

I have a bullion and proof version.  Not the year 20,20.

They look very nice (😎) imho. For a 1/10th gold coin they are about the cheapest premium wise.

The coins direct from the royal mint come in screw fit capsule.  From other places they maybe a bit cheaper without the capsule.

On 27/11/2019 at 20:48, Melon said:

Hi Foster! You're right, generally you pay a premium to buy in small quantities. This is because the cost of manufacturing the coin remains the same aside from the raw material, the dealer still needs to make a bigger % margin to make the smaller sale worthwhile, and the cost of postage is also a factor in adding to the premium when buying a single small coin. So yes - it can be more expensive.

However, I think many people start that way, and there can be advantages too. In real terms you need less capital to get started and try it out, and if you end up selling down the line you have the option to sell small denominations. 

Aesthetically 1/10 oz Britannia coins are small but attractive - they have a diameter of 16.5mm. It's roughly half the diameter of a full 1 ounce coin, as bear in mind thickness of the coin plays a big role in the weight. 

There happens to be some really good fractional gold deals popping up this week with very low premiums at Hatton Garden Metals who have a Black Friday sale. It's a well known London dealer, although bear in mind they are selling bullion condition coins. If you're near Hatton Garden you can even pick up in person to avoid postage costs. They tend to get stock in daily as people sell to them, so it's worth keeping an eye on their website to see if any 1/10 oz Britannia's pop up there. They had a couple earlier in the week at 1% over spot price which is really good. A half sovereign contains a similar amount of gold (slightly more) and may also be a good option to consider as there is a few in stock right now at 1% over spot;  

https://www.hattongardenmetals.com/buy/half-gold-sovereign

Another good option is to see if you can buy what you need at a good price off another forum member. There's a sales section on the forum, although priority is given to subscription members. 

Hope that helps! 

Good advice. Just keep an eye out for special deals and then buy. Don't just go for whatever. 

I don't know if this is available everywhere but if you wait for eBay Bucks offers, then you can really reduce the percentage over spot. You have to sign up to get eBay promotions notices in your email, and then they'll send these eBay Bucks offers about every few weeks or so.

Typically the offer is that you get 8-10% rebate to spend on a future eBay purchase. For example, in a recent 10% offer, I bought a gold BU half eagle for $390 (a decent price), with free shipping. I got $39 in eBay Bucks credit, which I can use for my next gold purchase. 

That's interesting. I'm a regular eBay buyer and seller here in the UK, and we don't have an equivalent "eBay Bucks" offer.

Sellers usually receive, every 2 weeks, a promotion to sell 100 items at a £1 maximum selling fee. Much better than the standard 10% fee.

Buyers occasional receive a 10% discount voucher on purchases, but gold coins are excluded, so I don't find them very useful. It looks like you get a better deal in the USA.

@Foster88 them 1/10 coins often pop up for sale here on the forum and usually very close to spot too. So keep an eye out for them, they do tend to go quite quickly. Their general affordability makes them easy to pick up and you’ll see your gold stack grow significantly. Don’t forget 10 coins equals 1oz of gold and if you buy a few regularly you’ll probably surprise yourself at how quickly your stack grows. Keep your eye on Hatton Garden Metals, Atkinsons and Bullion By Post. Don’t forget Krugerrands too. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

12 hours ago, Booky586 said:

That's interesting. I'm a regular eBay buyer and seller here in the UK, and we don't have an equivalent "eBay Bucks" offer.

Sellers usually receive, every 2 weeks, a promotion to sell 100 items at a £1 maximum selling fee. Much better than the standard 10% fee.

Buyers occasional receive a 10% discount voucher on purchases, but gold coins are excluded, so I don't find them very useful. It looks like you get a better deal in the USA.

Coins in the Bullion category are excluded. But if you buy one that isn't in that category then it counts.

Archived