• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Advice on 1998 Sovereign

AndrewSL76

Evening,

I hope it’s ok to ask members for some free advice!

Is the coin in the pictures a ‘proof’. I believe that it is but it doesn’t have a COA or original packaging. If it isn’t a proof I know it’s worth spot and if it is a proof, then perhaps ‘spot plus’ depending on how much someone is prepared to pay!

It was in a tube that I bought a while back and I was going to just keep it and sell at retirement. However, due to financial reasons I am selling some items and so questions re this coin’s background and ‘current price’ arise because if it is worth more than spot, I will probably try and sell it .

Thanks in advance,

Andrew.

79BD5EB8-4E92-43EA-A8EE-CAE6B452BAC5.jpeg

0162F5EE-4534-46B4-BA7A-C1B94E220172.jpeg

8 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

I go to HGM all the time and they never show me proofs!! Always battered old sovs (pictures on their website have bandages etc.!). I’ll ask them when I’m next there!!!

Why not ask them what they think before you sell it?

Just now, kimchi said:

Why not ask them what they think before you sell it?

I could do but they’re never going to offer more than the amount they advertise online which is just above what I paid a while back. They only refer to Spink when the coins are pukka. I spoke to them a while ago about a proof coin and they weren’t interested in paying anything more than the usual bullion amount. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25/11/2019 at 17:44, AndrewSL76 said:

Is the coin in the pictures a ‘proof’. I believe that it is but it doesn’t have a COA or original packaging. If it isn’t a proof I know it’s worth spot and if it is a proof, then perhaps ‘spot plus’ depending on how much someone is prepared to pay!

No currency/BU sovs in 1998 so its a proof :)

As others say proofs are collectable due to their condition, personally I wouldn't pay more for a proof thats impaired

The Gold Sovereign

The Gold Sovereign aims to provide the most complete online resource to collectors of the world's most popular gold coin - the Sovereign.

www.thegoldsovereign.com    |    contact@thegoldsovereign.com

Archived