• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Sovereign vs 1/4 ounce Britannia.

TheGeneral

What is the better investment for stackers on a budget? Gold sovereigns or Gold Britannia’s. 

The sovereigns are 22car and the brit’s are 24car (post 2013, I believe). Below are some price comparisons for new coins from the same dealer. The price difference is £33.82. The gold difference is 0.455g (correct me if I’m wrong). 

At the current spot price that’s approx £18 more gold in the Brit so in my head the Sovereign just wins.

What do you guys think? Have I got my maths wrong or is there more to it than that? CB2EE407-9F13-4F07-A768-32121D1EBC5B.thumb.png.2e3d79fe08de7b2f28f52351d4c36287.png0598481B-CC48-41E2-9D8D-074640F419D7.thumb.png.7373c498dcea01e98edede63394ef622.png

I've often found sovereigns to have a much lower premium (more than 5%) over Britannias. 

In my opinion the Britannia is a nicer coin design however the history of the sovereign and the fact it's a very well recognised coin worldwide means it's probably the better choice.

One thing to consider is the price dealers will pay you if you want to sell them. Again it would seem sovereigns win.  Hatton garden metals will pay 35.83 per gram on a 1oz pure britannia coin 35.80 for 22kt types and less for a quarter oz brit at 34.88. For a sovereign it's 35.96 per g of pure gold.

For me the head says sovereigns the heart says Britannia (actually it says queens beasts)

My 2 cents. There's no right or wrong answer, although I wouldn't buy at the prices you've quoted. If your goal is to stack weight in small denominations, then either of these coins are a good choice - just buy whatever has the lowest premium you can find on the day. 

http://goldprice.eu5.net/

For example, excluding delivery you can pick up sovereigns 2.66% over spot today at HGM (if you're in London). With delivery your best bet looks like Sharps at 3.7% over spot. Credit to @Darr3nG's site for making this easy! 

I think you either like Sov’s or not. I don’t. It’s personal not financial. I’m much happier stacking fractional Britts and Krugs. 

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

15 hours ago, Martlet said:

Buy both.  See what you like, 5% difference doesnt really matter much in the long term. 

I have done and quite like the little Brit but I think I will stick to sovereigns unless I see a really good deal on the Brit. 

1 hour ago, silenceissilver said:

The problem with stacking bullion Sovereigns is, it's tempting to roam about into the numistmatic world. On a budget you won't buy 1000% premimum Sovereigns but 20% premiums because you want this sovereign over the most bullion one. If you think you are prone to that, stick to the quarter Britannia.

The numistmatic world It's not tempting to me.  Most likely because I don't find the coin designs attractive.

Strange looking dudes.  Not trying to offend, the guy on the horse looks like a nudist. 🤣

If it's gold and has a low premium you can't go far wrong whether the design is liked or not.

6 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

The numistmatic world It's not tempting to me.  Most likely because I don't find the coin designs attractive.

Strange looking dudes.  Not trying to offend, the guy on the horse looks like a nudist. 🤣

If it's gold and has a low premium you can't go far wrong whether the design is liked or not.

I have only just realised that you can see the riders left foot on the sovereign. I alway thought it was the horses d1ck😂

Archived