• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

    Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

  • Join The Silver Forum

    The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 7000+ members.

westminstrel

2020 Una and the Lion

Recommended Posts

It should be easy to decide what to do then. College funds will need investing first depending on how old they are now and include factors like if you believe there will be inflation or deflation etc.

I notice you are in The US.

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2018/08/debt-student-loan-forgiveness-betsy-devos-education-department-fedloan/

Nice decision to have to make. Either way, you are going to be in the black on your initial purpose.

Edited by Oldun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, ShaolinStacker said:

Finally got my 2oz Gold Una. Wanted to see what you guys would do? 

1- Sell in OMP take the $25k and run

2- Grade with NGC take the $30+k and run

3- Grade with NGC and put it in the safe for 30 years( In my early 30s now)

Just wanted to see what the wisdom of the forum thinks... Thanks

Well done in having the balls to buy in the first place.

I've done some thinking on this as I did consider buying myself- but didn’t have the balls on the day...

I would sell.   

Say it achieved £20k- I would have immediately payed back the £4k initial cost (at the time of release, I would have had to buy on a CC in the first instance).

I would then put away around £5250 to have the cash to potentially buy the next in the series- (no guarantees of getting one- but just in case-  in order to rinse and repeat the above)- the £5250 would be for the £4k outlay for the next one and a £1225 buffer in case it bombed on the secondary market.

So, £10750 left. 

I would invest £3600 in good old bullion coins- likely Sovereigns.

£3150 to enhance my Libertad collection- probably buying from the Banco de México 2020 releases.

That would leave £4000 to do some short term speculating- buying and reselling from the either the secondary market/Mexican Mint releases/ RM releases.

And then it would be time to do all the above again and dig out the £5250 for the next in The Great Engravers Series. 

Rinse and Repeat.

 

Now back to sleep to do some more dreaming😉

 

Edited by richatthecroft

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ShaolinStacker said:

Finally got my 2oz Gold Una. Wanted to see what you guys would do? 

1- Sell in OMP take the $25k and run

2- Grade with NGC take the $30+k and run

3- Grade with NGC and put it in the safe for 30 years( In my early 30s now)

Just wanted to see what the wisdom of the forum thinks... Thanks

Congratulations on getting one. Its a great choice to have and a tough one. I was also very lucky and got one of these and I made the decision to sell. I repaid the credit card that might have charged me 25% interest although in fairness I would have sold other things to pay that back very quickly. I sold too quickly and did not maximise my profit as I sold to a dealer but I did not have payment issues and i got the money very quickly to repay the original price of the coin.

I sold about £10,000 of other coins at the recent Coin Cabinet auction and added the profit on the Una to create a balance that was large enough to buy just one very rare coin an 1853 proof half sovereign. In my view the UNA is a lovely coin but is a risk in the medium/long term and I did not want to have to worry about its value. I may very well have been wrong in this but i took the view that I would buy something amazing and very rare and keep it for the long term or perhaps hand it to the next generation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, richatthecroft said:

Well done in having the balls to buy in the first place.

I've done some thinking on this as I did consider buying myself- but didn’t have the balls on the day...

I would sell.   

Say it achieved £20k- I would have immediately payed back the £4k initial cost (at the time of release, I would have had to buy on a CC in the first instance).

I would then put away around £5250 to have the cash to potentially buy the next in the series- (no guarantees of getting one- but just in case-  in order to rinse and repeat the above)- the £5250 would be for the £4k outlay for the next one and a £1225 buffer in case it bombed on the secondary market.

So, £10750 left. 

I would invest £3600 in good old bullion coins- likely Sovereigns.

£3150 to enhance my Libertad collection- probably buying from the Banco de México 2020 releases.

That would leave £4000 to do some short term speculating- buying and reselling from the either the secondary market/Mexican Mint releases/ RM releases.

And then it would be time to do all the above again and dig out the £5500 for the next in The Great Engravers Series. 

Rinse and Repeat.

 

Now back to sleep to do some more dreaming😉

 

Great points to consider. I'm still undecided on the fence what to do for the best. Will wait for the eBay auction and coin cabinet auction ends at to see what "the market" feels like the gold Una lion is worth, to see what I might do

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ShaolinStacker said:

Finally got my 2oz Gold Una. Wanted to see what you guys would do? 

1- Sell in OMP take the $25k and run

2- Grade with NGC take the $30+k and run

3- Grade with NGC and put it in the safe for 30 years( In my early 30s now)

Just wanted to see what the wisdom of the forum thinks... Thanks

Take the money, I equate this coin to crypto, nothing keeps on rising like people thought bitcoin would and it will drop eventually. You could wait till the Coin cabinet coin has been through the block and see what price it brings, but think about how many ounces it could add to a stack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Proof-Una-and-the-Lion-2019-Royal-Mint-Cash-Or-Bank-Transfer-No-PayPal/153801885935?hash=item23cf4e88ef:g:susAAOSwjjdeI0OX

Another gold Una has appeared on FleaBay - £29,995 

I recognise the seller ID, i think he has sold some stuff on here in the past. User is "Banned" on here 🙄😬🤬 hhmmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Proof-Una-and-the-Lion-2019-Royal-Mint-Cash-Or-Bank-Transfer-No-PayPal/153801885935?hash=item23cf4e88ef:g:susAAOSwjjdeI0OX

Another gold Una has appeared on FleaBay - £29,995 

I recognise the seller ID, i think he has sold some stuff on here in the past. User is "Banned" on here 🙄😬🤬 hhmmmm

I know he got banned here but I have purchased many items off him in the past & never had any issues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul said:

Great points to consider. I'm still undecided on the fence what to do for the best. Will wait for the eBay auction and coin cabinet auction ends at to see what "the market" feels like the gold Una lion is worth, to see what I might do

I would sell and take advantage on the current price surge. I doubt the current price will hold for much longer. It may rise a little short term but equally could drop off the cliff and not recover for many years. These things always a gamble.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gold-Proof-Una-and-the-Lion-2019-Royal-Mint-Cash-Or-Bank-Transfer-No-PayPal/153801885935?hash=item23cf4e88ef:g:susAAOSwjjdeI0OX

Another gold Una has appeared on FleaBay - £29,995 

I recognise the seller ID, i think he has sold some stuff on here in the past. User is "Banned" on here 🙄😬🤬 hhmmmm

I will never understand why people put things on eBay with stock photos, I would NEVER buy anything or worth unless it’s got a clear picture of the actual item.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, shawy2510 said:

I know he got banned here but I have purchased many items off him in the past & never had any issues.

Oh did he get banned, I didn't know. Now you mention it I haven't seen any of his many sales posts for a while. There was a lot of talk of him shilling eBay sales.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://www.ngccoin.com/census/world/great-britain-decimal-1968-to-date/sc-350/g200pd/varieties/540862/

x15 have made it to NGC for grading thus far.  Have not seen one of them for sale as yet 

I can hear the sound of the hammer cracking open that Una 69 slab...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I would sell and take advantage on the current price surge. I doubt the current price will hold for much longer. It may rise a little short term but equally could drop off the cliff and not recover for many years. These things always a gamble.

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/results.php?dept=Coins&keywords=una+lion&action=Search

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Una+Lion&searchtype=1

The current restrike sales prices are similar to what you would have been paying for an original Una & Lion 10 -15 years back £15,000-£20,000

Cashing in is starting to look tempting to be perfectly fair using this maths model

So i paid £3995 say i sell for £20,0000 = +£16,005 profit

£16,005 / full soveriegn @ £291 each = x55 FREE sovereigns for the stack

£16,005 / krugerrands/britannias = @ £1220 each = x13 FREE oz of gold for the stack

£16,005 / oz of silver britannias from STG @ £16.81 = x952 oz of FREE silver for the stack

Choices choices choices 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Paul said:

https://www.dnw.co.uk/auction-archive/lot-archive/results.php?dept=Coins&keywords=una+lion&action=Search

http://www.londoncoins.co.uk/?page=Pastresults&searchterm=Una+Lion&searchtype=1

The current restrike sales prices are similar to what you would have been paying for an original Una & Lion 10 -15 years back £15,000-£20,000

Cashing in is starting to look tempting to be perfectly fair using this maths model

So i paid £3995 say i sell for £20,0000 = +£16,005 profit

£16,005 / full soveriegn @ £291 each = x55 FREE sovereigns for the stack

£16,005 / krugerrands/britannias = @ £1220 each = x13 FREE oz of gold for the stack

£16,005 / oz of silver britannias from STG @ £16.81 = x952 oz of FREE silver for the stack

Choices choices choices 

Or 1/3 ish on each 😐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Oldun said:

On a separate note, a silver una and the lion sold for the equivalent of £418.49 plus shipping today (not on ebay).

Wonder why people are paying so much when they're available from a dealer (H&B) for £299. Seems odd! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gibralter, Alderney, Liberia a few una and the lion replicas have been released over the years. I wouldn’t put it past the RM to do an Una SOTD or something similar like the seem to be doing with the rest of the moderns and dilute the collectibility.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

 

@Paul

"The current restrike sales prices are similar to what you would have been paying for an original Una & Lion 10 -15 years back £15,000-£20,000"

Sorry but in no way can you compare this poor copy to the original.;)

Yes, i totaly agree with you - I used current restrike price to show how crazy these prices are at currently.

We are already sat on a +400-500% profit of original RRP where do you draw the line where you are happy to cash in your chips ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Elements said:

Gibralter, Alderney, Liberia a few una and the lion replicas have been released over the years. I wouldn’t put it past the RM to do an Una SOTD or something similar like the seem to be doing with the rest of the moderns and dilute the collectibility.  

Exactly my thoughts as well. If they see a winner they then dilute with that sort of stuff, the 2017 200th anniversary Sov springs to mind

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Gibby said:

Exactly my thoughts as well. If they see a winner they then dilute with that sort of stuff, the 2017 200th anniversary Sov springs to mind

Royal Mint may be reading this thread :( .............sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh !  dont give them any ideas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Paul said:

where do you draw the line where you are happy to cash in your chips ?

always for the individual to decide, dependant on the gambler in you.

I always compare these matters to trading shares etc, you can never sell at the top, always leave some profit in there for the buyer. The price of anything can, and often does, go down faster than it goes up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.