• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Investment advice

I see a few people on here watch stocks and market data alot. Im interested in stocks but i find it all a bit confusing, ive only started investing this year and so far everything is owned and controlled by me at all times. I currently hold crypto currency, silver and some artwork that has potential to increase in value.

Im not so interested in stocks right this minute with the state of global affairs and economics not looking too hot, but in the near future i would like to get involved.

Im mainly interested in markets i understand, im a mechanic to trade so i like babcock, siemens gamesa, any solar manufacturers etc etc, you wont see me investing in a fashion brand any time soon..

Interested to know how people on here got started, which stock broker they used, what costs were involved.

Any input appreciated

Hi, I believe in buying stocks only after a market crash or major down turn. I was taught to buy at lows and sell when markets are hi. I have no use for crypto's at all!! I will at this time stick with gold and silver.  As you said the world is a mess right now and I do not trust governments and anything on the computer or in paper can be taken away from you.  If you don't hold it you do not own it!!  I wish the best for all of you out there with your crypto's but I think you will get burned in time, and as far as stocks a very smart man in the 1980's told me to only buy stocks in company's that make something you can hold and if you drop it you will feel it hit your foot.  He told stay out of the clouds. I always wonder what he meant back then and now I think I know what he was trying to say.  Good luck investing. Jim

I appreciate the input, i have a very different stance on crypto but it could be a generational thing. 

Maybe we should move away from the term "crypto currency" and instead view them as digital assets. Blockchain technology is a very powerful thing.

I can store my bitcoin on a hardware wallet and no one can take it from me, my art work and silver are also in my possession.

I try look towards future technology, engineering and manufacturing. The world is changing faster than we can keep up, even me being 29 years old would never have thought we would actually have all electric self driving cars, but we do, and its happened very quickly aswell.

The next 10-15 years will be a game changer i think , i like renewables, anything related to engineering etc. I seen one company that built machines to melt down plastics and extract the gas from them. I wouldnt be surprised if that gas is used in conjunction with batteries to power automobiles in the future. 

Just interested to know how people got their foot in the door with company shares/stocks

I got into sticks in 2008. I had no idea what I was doing.

Bought shares on pure speculation and it was a great starting point as I got stuck in and began to understand the markets more slightly. 

I.e the dow Jones opens at 14.30 GMT and you can see the power of the Dow Jones as soon as it opens lol.

I've backed away from stocks atm instead to be more informed on Au and Ag. 

Sometimes you just got to dive into it, to understand it. 

Anything digital can be hacked. No matter how good someone is on computers there is always someone better. And also look in to what a solar flare could and can do to the digital world. I just saw a TV show on this that said a solar flare could shut down the grid and internet for months and even years so I will keep my stuff close to me.

Not strictly true, when crypto is on a hardware wallet its offline, theres companys moving crypto holdings into the side of mountains. A solar flare wont penetrate that and your digital assets would be intact. 

Ive been into it for a while so i can grasp its use case, safety, and wheres its going.

To hack a block chain you need to hack all previous blocks on the chain, because the chain grows in size daily it would be virtually impossible to hack, the only thing you could do would be hold 51% of the hash rate which would then allow you to control the asset. People talk of quantum computers hacking bitcoin etc too, theres alot of code being added to these digital assests to make sure its not possible, and if thats the case, i would be worried about quantum computers hacking things alot more important than finance. Like taking control of a hospital or a nuclear submarine for example...

In either case i would like to try stay on the traditional finance topic, alot of people dont understand crypto currency/digital assests in the same way i dont understand stocks

So i think we need to agree to disagree on the crypto topic 😊

1 hour ago, scotland210590 said:

Not strictly true, when crypto is on a hardware wallet its offline, theres companys moving crypto holdings into the side of mountains. A solar flare wont penetrate that and your digital assets would be intact. 

Ive been into it for a while so i can grasp its use case, safety, and wheres its going.

To hack a block chain you need to hack all previous blocks on the chain, because the chain grows in size daily it would be virtually impossible to hack, the only thing you could do would be hold 51% of the hash rate which would then allow you to control the asset. People talk of quantum computers hacking bitcoin etc too, theres alot of code being added to these digital assests to make sure its not possible, and if thats the case, i would be worried about quantum computers hacking things alot more important than finance. Like taking control of a hospital or a nuclear submarine for example...

In either case i would like to try stay on the traditional finance topic, alot of people dont understand crypto currency/digital assests in the same way i dont understand stocks

So i think we need to agree to disagree on the crypto topic 😊

I hope crypto's are safe for you younger guy's out there. As I hope the stock markets keep going up for you also.  For me I have been investing since the mid 1970's. In the late 70's I was told the power of the stock markets is unstoppable told that again in the late 80's and again in the 90's and again in the 2000's. Years ago was told that accounts like paypal and your bank accounts were safe and could not be hacked. With time we see that there is always someone smarter than the experts. Through time I learned to not trust what people tell me and learned to go with my gut feelings about things.  Jim

If you want to learn about investing my advice is: Read Books on Investing... Not blogs, useful though they may be, not investment threads on bulletin boards, not ADVFN or Motley Fool.

Decide what sort of an investor you want to be, then go and execute that strategy. 

The point is not that you think that your particular strategy is better than any other particular strategy, but having a particular strategy will make you much more likely to stick through the ups and downs rather than just blindly following someone else. Ultimately what you buy may be much less important than more important fundamentals of good investing such as consistency, risk management, and diversification.

Screen%20Shot%202018-05-30%20at%203.01.1

22 hours ago, scotland210590 said:

Interested to know how people on here got started, which stock broker they used, what costs were involved.

Any input appreciated

Got started: my father inherited shares and then added to them for the purpose of general savings and retirement, and therefore I picked-up quite a bit of information over time. Later I wound-up being a stock broker and insurance agent after learning accounting at university.
You say you are interested in markets that you understand. That is good. 
Costs are a commission paid whenever you buy and sell shares. And then there is often an annual account fee as well. There may be motivation to pay the least commission possible, and that's understandable. However, you want a firm that actually keeps the shares in inventory. A financially solvent firm that keeps client safety uppermost. 
There are investment schemes that focus on one of two general methods:
1. Buy solid companies that pay dividends. The dividend income-stream is what you are after. Yes, you will hopefully get appreciation of share price as well.
2. Buy or short companies with no thought to how solid they are, but to catch share price movement up or down. In this case you are looking for appreciation in the share price only, and the dividends are not sought after per se.
So it would be good to choose a method of investing that interests you. If you like #1, the transaction costs are not a big factor because you will seek-out companies that are in good shape to invest in, and you will not be selling these anytime soon, unless a mistake has been made, or you have a change of mind. If you prefer #2, then transaction costs are extremely important.

Archived