• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Compare Gold Prices (UK) - FREE Website

Darr3nG

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good work Darren.  I regularly have your page open all day to monitor the prices.  Some of the sites are cheeky in showing what initially appears to be a good price, but when you click through you find that the price is actually per coin, but only if you're buying 50 :rolleyes:.  Chards might have been one of them but can't remember now.  Just looking at Chards site now, they have an inconsistency - shows a Krug for 1214.24 per 1, but in the box underneath it's 1218.45 per 1.  ! :wacko:

2 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

Also found a better way to capture the price.

Interested, how if you don’t mind sharing. Are you a programmer by profession or just a hobby?

I started using python for data analysis last year, such a useful thing to be able to do and saves so much time on processes that I used to do manually. I haven’t had any use yet for some related additional skills I learnt like SQL and scraping but one day might do. (I’m a scientist by the way)

@Safestacker - H&B has a very inconsistent website, and they don't appear to sell many bullion coins. I could hard-code their sovereign price, but I'm sure most on here know to check for their deal.

@goldking - Agreed, many of the sites I scrape for prices often show their best price to lure you in. I've tried to always find the lowest price for a single coin, in my links. Chards appear to have invested in a template website, but are making manual changes all over the place.

@Elements - In reference to the 'better way', I didn't mean through coding. I just found the same price listed on another part of the webpage, which is more consistent.

I'm not a programmer (by profession) but I've always been interested, and like you I often use scripting to automate processes. Sometime I even spend more time on the script than the actual job would take :) 

• 1 month later...

A few code updates, in light of recent interest and feedback (@LawrenceChard )

1. Changed Chards postage to £6 (the £9 in their FAQ may be a typo)
  2. Finally cleared the error states from some of Chards prices (found an alternative way to scrape the price ;) )
  3. Updated some vendor links to cheaper alternatives (if you find any which need changing, please let me know)

Dear Darr3nG,

I am very impressed.

We only discussed the shipping charge changes late this afternoon, and I have not had time to check them, but you managed to find them.

Yes, the £9 in the FAQ is now out of date, and needs to be checked and cleaned up.

Ian will probably check this before I get into work mode in the morning, and I feel sure he will have a look.

Have you yet noticed the new price comparison tables on a few of our pages?

They went through about 3 evoutions yesteday alone, with more to follow in the next few days.

Chards

15 hours ago, goldking said:

I think the wording could be clearer as it took me a minute to figure it out first time I saw it.  Perhaps WITH POSTAGE/WITHOUT POSTAGE would be better, in a nice bright green to catch your attention ;).  

Your wish has been granted... May need a cache refresh to see the results. Enjoy :) 

6 hours ago, LawrenceChard said:

I suspect that members might be surprised, or even shocked, at how much it can cost to try and run a good site.

...much is also the human resource behind it.

This is such a true statement! Even an automated site needs some manual TLC to keep it running.

10 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

Your wish has been granted... May need a cache refresh to see the results. Enjoy :) 

Is it only meant to go green on one 'side'?  I was thinking more of a permanent green for the 'button' wording so that it's obvious that it 'does something' as soon as you open the page.  By default it's still white for me and kinda lost in the noise.  I might be doing something wrong though. :unsure:

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Minimalist said:

is there any compare Silver prices? (UK) 

Not that I'm aware of, but most people (I believe) use the VAT-free European sites for silver purchases.

You never know, now that I have some much more time at home, I may attempt to pull something together... :) 

After seeing their advertisement on TV and have added Direct Bullion to the site - they appear to have stock, with prices in line with others and apparently price match some competitors.

Don't know if anyone has ever bought from them - there are a number of posts on here from a few years back, but nothing concrete.

I've removed Bleyer Bullion for now, their prices are all erroring out (possibly due to DDoS protection) - will work to find a fix later.

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/03/2020 at 12:30, Darr3nG said:

After seeing their advertisement on TV and have added Direct Bullion to the site - they appear to have stock, with prices in line with others and apparently price match some competitors.

Don't know if anyone has ever bought from them - there are a number of posts on here from a few years back, but nothing concrete.

I've removed Bleyer Bullion for now, their prices are all erroring out (possibly due to DDoS protection) - will work to find a fix later.

When we looked at their "Price Match" page perhaps a year ago, there was one glaring omission in their list of dealers they would price match against. I can't quite remember who that was...

Chards

On 05/04/2020 at 15:06, LawrenceChard said:

When we looked at their "Price Match" page perhaps a year ago, there was one glaring omission in their list of dealers they would price match against. I can't quite remember who that was...

Looking at the price chart if you shaved 0.28% off your Sovereign price you could be Top of the chart 🙄

25 minutes ago, LawrenceChard said:

There is some interesting pricing on 2020 bullion gold sovereigns right now.

It's a pity you have not included them on your gold price comparison site!

🙂

Not making too many changes right now, but just had a quick look at current 2020 prices, for those with coins in stock:

Harrington & Byrne £329.00  
Bairds £334.36 +£7.00 delivery
Chards £344.84 +£6.00 delivery
Direct Bullion £348.04  
Atkinsons £354.05 Preorder
The Gold Bullion Co £356.77  
Royal Mint Bullion £357.01  
UK Bullion £357.12 Not delivering
Bullion by post £361.50  
Gold.co.uk £361.60  

1 minute ago, Darr3nG said:

Not making too many changes right now, but just had a quick look at current 2020 prices, for those with coins in stock:

Harrington & Byrne £329.00  
Bairds £334.36 +£7.00 delivery
Chards £344.84 +£6.00 delivery
Direct Bullion £348.04  
Atkinsons £354.05 Preorder
The Gold Bullion Co £356.77  
Royal Mint Bullion £357.01  
UK Bullion £357.12 Not delivering
Bullion by post £361.50  
Gold.co.uk £361.60  

That was quick work, thanks.

I did some screenshots earlier.

I Ignored H&B for the usual reason.

I missed Baird because they were not on the first 2 pages of Google, but Trading is currently closed and will re-open again shortly, please try again later. (on add to basket).

Chards

Archived