• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Compare Gold Prices (UK) - FREE Website

Darr3nG

Taking some advice from @AndrewSL76 (#toomanyghosts 👻) , I'm starting a new thread to capture requests and feedback as I work on this website.

A little tongue-in-cheek intro:

Hi all,

I recently launched a little side project (in response to a dislike of paywalls) for monitoring the prices of gold coins by UK dealers:

http://www.comparegoldprices.uk/

At the moment functionality and looks are very basic ( @h103efa 😉) ; it doesn't auto-refresh, just yet.

I wanted to share it in case someone else finds it useful. It's completely FREE (always will be) and donations are accepted not necessary to keep it running (but any offers of spot-price gold / silver will always be welcome!)

Any constructive feedback is welcome. Thanks!

:)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is excellent. Thank you for taking the time to produce this.

One question. Is it easy to change the colours? The blue on black is not (at least to me) so easy to read. I can read it, so this isn’t a criticism! It just would probably be better for me if it was in a white text with the black background.

Regardless, this is really very much appreciated!

Andrew.

1 hour ago, Darr3nG said:

Oops... Web testing after midnight is ill-advised. Should be fixed now (may need a reload). :)

It’s funny because once the links are clicked they go to white anyway! Then when reloaded back to blue! It’s quite funky.

35 minutes ago, AndrewSL76 said:

It’s funny because once the links are clicked they go to white anyway! Then when reloaded back to blue! It’s quite funky.

You need to clear your recent history and cache for the effect to go away, or will go away on its own when your browser recaches the site.

15 hours ago, Darr3nG said:

Taking some advice from @AndrewSL76 (#toomanyghosts 👻) , I'm starting a new thread to capture requests and feedback as I work on this website.

A little tongue-in-cheek intro:

:)

Awesome stuff. I've no more like reactions left for today so will go on a spree tomorrow to show my liking of the site and look. 

36 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

@Melon - a feature you requested on the other thread (prices with / without delivery) has now been added... Just click [Change] near the bottom.

You may need to refresh / reload your browser cache (Windows: ctrl + F5, Mac: Apple + R or command + R)

Perfect - exactly what I was hoping for! 

57 minutes ago, Darr3nG said:

@Melon - a feature you requested on the other thread (prices with / without delivery) has now been added... Just click [Change] near the bottom.

You may need to refresh / reload your browser cache (Windows: ctrl + F5, Mac: Apple + R or command + R)

One little thing I just spotted which may be accidental - it seems for most dealers the price of the sovereign without delivery appears to be the equivalent price for buying one coin. However for the Bairds sovereign price, it appears to be pulling in the cost per coin if you buy 200. I can dream of buying 200 😄

Just had a look and it's great, really like the ability to look at price with and without delivery.

One thing. The last time the gold spot price was updated is given as 20.49 and it's now 22.38. Is this going to be typical going forward? I realise it's late on Sunday evening and nothing will be happening but a spot price that is a lot closer to being live would be very useful.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

2 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The last time the gold spot price was updated is given as 20.49 and it's now 22.38. Is this going to be typical going forward?

I'm just pushing manual updates, right now - still working on the automation part. Watch this space.

Just had another look - it is excellent. It really is. I love how simple it is and how it is easy to change between postage and non-postage (which is important for me as I am easily able to visit the Hatton Garden area).

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It certainly helps with understanding when the price points are hitting my target!

I had one further suggestion. I am not sure if it is something that is particularly useful, but I wonder whether it is worth contacting all the dealers and confirming that you have set this platform up. It may encourage some competitiveness and, who knows, even some flash sales and deals from time to time. A few of them, if they are even leading on the best prices, may even wish to refer to it on their websites and you could, in theory, earn some small bits of cash for referrals if a fingerprint on the sale could signify the referral had come from your site? Not sure how this would work, so ignore if this all just sounds like white noise!

Cheers once again,

Andrew.

6 hours ago, AndrewSL76 said:

Just had another look - it is excellent. It really is. I love how simple it is and how it is easy to change between postage and non-postage (which is important for me as I am easily able to visit the Hatton Garden area).

Thanks for taking the time to do this. It certainly helps with understanding when the price points are hitting my target!

I had one further suggestion. I am not sure if it is something that is particularly useful, but I wonder whether it is worth contacting all the dealers and confirming that you have set this platform up. It may encourage some competitiveness and, who knows, even some flash sales and deals from time to time. A few of them, if they are even leading on the best prices, may even wish to refer to it on their websites and you could, in theory, earn some small bits of cash for referrals if a fingerprint on the sale could signify the referral had come from your site? Not sure how this would work, so ignore if this all just sounds like white noise!

Cheers once again,

Andrew.

Totally workable - they would supply him/his site with a link to their site and it's that link that will be tracked as long as it's used until the sale.  It's one of the best ways to generate income from this, but it has to be worth their while with enough traffic so may not be viable at this stage.  The competitiveness could work :)

@Darr3nG your website even though relatively new beats the competition hands down here is a side my side comparison. I can only see it getting better and when you have time and inclined may want to include other popular government minted coins (American Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf, Australian Kangaroo, American Buffalo, Austrian Philharmonic).image.thumb.png.9708ae1356754317add4203e7d40b7c7.png

Archived