• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Diamonds are running out. Is it time to stack a few jewels?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2984265/How-Beers-s-boss-Philippe-Mellier-makes-sure-diamonds-forever-begin-run-out.html

‘No big new diamond mine has been discovered for 20 years and from 2019 or so we will see a gap between supply and demand. And mining for diamonds is a very expensive business.’

Now I know diamonds can be made artificially, but the rich will always want the genuine article, not the man made "fakes".

:unsure:

Nope - diamonds are becoming an increasingly dangerous investment.  Such is the quality of synthetic diamonds now, that experienced diamond houses are struggling to tell the difference.  De Beers controlled the market for too long and were too greedy - I predict man-made diamonds will increase in popularity due to their 100% nature - perhaps to the demise of true diamonds.

From my reading the diamond business wasn't a business of extracting, as I originally expected, something of enormous value and then simply seeing how much of this object you could get out of the ground and selling it.

But their real business was restricting what came out of the ground, restricting what was discovered, restricting what got cut, restricting what actually found its way into the retail market and, at the same time, through movies, through advertising, through Hollywood/Madison Ave/PR/spin, through the manipulation of perceptions, creating the idea that there was this enormous demand for these shiny little objects that they seemed to have in abundant supply.

So De Beers holding almost all of this De Beers founded by Cecil Rhodes, who was financed by the money cockroach banksters N M Rothschild & Sons 

I understand that there are substantial quantities of natural diamonds but the market restricts the outflow in order to artificially keep the price high. Russia could flood the market with its hoards but chooses not to. Man-made diamonds are controlled for now but when will China see an opportunity to sell gem quality artificially produced diamonds ? The price of a perfect diamond would almost just be the labour of cutting and the material cost, so perhaps you could buy a brilliant clear flawless 2 carat diamond for under £300 rather than £10,000?

• Founder & Administrator

Poor investment, diamonds are abundant. The supply is kept low to keep the prices high, all these blood diamonds are bought up and stored away in some vaults somewhere to make sure the market is kept dry. Unlike popular believe diamonds are not rare.

My posts are my personal opinions, they do not constitute advice or financial advice.

Please Follow / Like / Share to help spread the word of The Silver Forum:
TSF Instagram - TSF YouTube channel - TSF Facebook pageTSF Twitter page - TSF Threads (used for sever status updates)

Discounts / Offers
COTR Vouchers for Premium Members

Official TSF branded NGC label via COR grading
50% discount off of TSF mugs for Platinum Premium Members. (see info in Platinum Lounge)
Platinum Premium Members: Offers from selected Dealers - 15 dealers currently in the programme

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/markets/article-2984265/How-Beers-s-boss-Philippe-Mellier-makes-sure-diamonds-forever-begin-run-out.html

‘No big new diamond mine has been discovered for 20 years and from 2019 or so we will see a gap between supply and demand. And mining for diamonds is a very expensive business.’

Now I know diamonds can be made artificially, but the rich will always want the genuine article, not the man made "fakes".

:unsure:

Lies lies lies lies lies!!!

What they don't say is that although no NEW mine has been found, there are mines which are owned and kept closed by De Boers which contain enough diamonds to saturate the market and make the stone next to worthless.

That article is full of lies. "Only used for jewellery" Except for millions of diamond tipped/coated cutting tools used across industry.

Just 1 example among hundreds known - look up Popigai meteor crater. The impact was so sever it caused diamonds to be produced by the shock waves in the ground. I can't remember the name for this process/type of diamond. However, in this single crater there is estimated (after generations of mining) TRILLIONS of carats of diamonds still in the ground.

There is so much diamond available that De Beers stock pile it. They ration the output of mines, and the constantly repeat this story about the "diamonds running out" it was the same during the '90s we had all the same stories from all the usual sources.

There is no money in jewels. Shops make a 50% mark-up on them, and they loose 60% of their value the moment you step out of the shop.

The only possible reasonable investment would be pink Argyle diamonds if you can get them at wholesale prices.

The Argyle mine is supposed to be closing in a couple of years and as it allegedly produces almost all the coloured diamonds in the world at the moment, supply should fall. However I'm sure Rio Tinto or De Beers or whoever will have a load in store or suddenly "find" another mine to replace it!

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

The only possible reasonable investment would be pink Argyle diamonds if you can get them at wholesale prices.

The Argyle mine is supposed to be closing in a couple of years and as it allegedly produces almost all the coloured diamonds in the world at the moment, supply should fall. However I'm sure Rio Tinto or De Beers or whoever will have a load in store or suddenly "find" another mine to replace it!

Yup. Or the will suddenly discover a new vein in themine and keep it open for a few more years after all. It's all marketing!

I looked at buying gems not too long ago as an extra investment. I bought a nice sapphire, liked the look of it, put it in the safe and will probably never look at it again. The problem is who to sell to. Jewellers want certification on gems a lot of the time, and it really is a minefield with all the different types of gem, unlike silver which is silver and gold which is gold, in different purities ofc.

They are nice to look at, and I like the idea of making them into jewellery for the wife/daughter at some point, but as an investment....not for me.

I would not be surprised if the Nevada desert is full of diamonds underground where all the nukes were tested.

Problem is the hazardous environment for the next 25,000 years or so.

Poor investment, diamonds are abundant. The supply is kept low to keep the prices high, all these blood diamonds are bought up and stored away in some vaults somewhere to make sure the market is kept dry. Unlike popular believe diamonds are not rare.

+1

Do your due diligence on the Chemical Vapour Diamond Manufacturing industry. You can manufacture Gems, you can't manufacture PM's!

Research Diamond, Thermal Conductivity and future application within industry and technology.

I thought diamonds were mainly a western thing, although I did read somewhere that they had managed to get the Chinese to buy into the solitaire diamond engagement ring and therefore demand was exploding there as the population trends to middle class.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

I wonder how places like India see diamonds? I know gold is very popular there isn't it

Do they see it as the waste of money that it is 

Historically the Indian Mughals treasured diamonds highly. The world famous Koh-i-Noor diamond was mined in India.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Koh-i-Noor

Looking at the list of famous diamonds, a great percentage of them have come from India, 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_diamonds

60m carats mined, 600m carats manufactured. As that 600m is due to grow to 2 billion carats by 2020 I would expect mine closures as the purpose of a mine is redundant. It's a shame, but industries come and go. De Beers is doomed, the VHS in a digital world.

• 3 weeks later...

I fully agree that investing in diamonds in general is not the best idea. Man made diamonds will eventually flood the market. But there will still be some valuable pieces - somehow unique, or with some history. Just like with gold or silver. Most of the gold and silver is traded at about spot price. But there is small amount of gold traded in antique or collectible coins and other items. And this is where you can pay even many times more than just the price of the metal.

Archived