• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

This Might Sound Weird But...

JonCL

Although I’m a relatively new collector of modest (BUNC) silver coins, whose worth lies more in the spot price than their numismatic value, I’m still loath to touch the things. I don’t expect I’m alone in finding it anathema to put sticky fingerprints all over that silvery loveliness. Most of my purchases arrive in capsules and remain in capsules. The odd ones which turn up in mint bags or other packaging than capsules, get gingerly picked out by gloved hand and put in capsules.

So it has been a pleasure to buy an Albion 100g bar which is basically a lump- albeit nicely made and precisely measured- of fine silver, which I don’t mind handling.

I’d recommend collectors buy at least one such poured bar for a bit of cathartic fondling after carefully stashing away one’s pristine coin collection 😁.

I have no problem fondling basic cheap bullion without wearing protection.
A good wash in warm soapy water and a pat dry keeps them nice and shiny.
Silver is used as an antibacterial agent, germ killer etc and many medical products contain minute amounts of silver ( probably at the molecular level ).
Wonder if this naked fondling could be of benefit to combat some common skin conditions ?

I totally agree with @JonCL when the silver arrives you want to play with it ,but i always resist and put even the most common coins in capsules.But the i took @StackerNoobs advice and picked up a kilo bar from arshimo and wow he was right you have to have a bit of weight to appreciate what a lump of silver feels like😲

8 hours ago, Pete said:

I have no problem fondling basic cheap bullion without wearing protection.
A good wash in warm soapy water and a pat dry keeps them nice and shiny.
Silver is used as an antibacterial agent, germ killer etc and many medical products contain minute amounts of silver ( probably at the molecular level ).
Wonder if this naked fondling could be of benefit to combat some common skin conditions ?

That's a good point about how maybe silver could be good for the skin. However, silver's anti-microbial effects would only be good on wet skin, since it requires moisture to work. Copper, on the other hand, doesn't require moisture.

As for me and my silver, if I want to handle it I'll handle the junk silver. It's fun to have a tube's worth of clanging silver coins piling up in one's hand.

Archived