• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help me and tell me if this coin looks real

Toshunya86

Hi all ,

I am trying a new ad website in an obscure part of Europe , I have seen this coin on sale . Since I am no expert on silver and on british coins , I would kindly ask you if this is a blatant fake or not

image.png.1ccc23d094e837f4ffa08f0a811fd487.png

image.png.73c47eca8933a287376d7915ea078ab2.png

I am under the impression that it s a real one. I am not sure which mint it is from. If the coin is not fake , i will give it a go , at how much would you buy it as per today's rate (roughly) so i can have a rather preferable deal ( I am too greedy but would be ok to pay slightly less market value) .

Seems to be Calcutta mint as there is no mintmark that I can see. I am however notoriously bad at judging fakes and what not... But doesn't it seem rather weakly struck the ARD VII in the name and G & EM in KING AND EMPEROR but not the rim on the same places?

Other than that I would suggest it's been cleaned by the looks of it... But there are likely others knowing this better :) 

On 10/11/2019 at 13:36, Toshunya86 said:

Hi all ,

I am trying a new ad website in an obscure part of Europe , I have seen this coin on sale . Since I am no expert on silver and on british coins , I would kindly ask you if this is a blatant fake or not

image.png.1ccc23d094e837f4ffa08f0a811fd487.png

image.png.73c47eca8933a287376d7915ea078ab2.png

I am under the impression that it s a real one. I am not sure which mint it is from. If the coin is not fake , i will give it a go , at how much would you buy it as per today's rate (roughly) so i can have a rather preferable deal ( I am too greedy but would be ok to pay slightly less market value) .

As a person that collects these, this coins doesn’t look genuine to me, just FYI there are tonnes of real silver, both 999 and 925 purity copies of it made even now in India and sold by bullion dealers 

1. The fine scratches you see aren’t natural wear, looks more like the type is steelwool scratches you see on home “antiqued” coins. 
2. see the wear on the wording but none on the rim around the wording. That again isn’t natural- the wear should be even. 

959D99F0-5051-4710-BC89-0E565B12B33D.jpeg

8E669C3A-1904-43A9-8C27-EA98696C7FE6.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

Now here is a rather high end copy I picked up early this year when I was out there- in pure silver. 

mine is a “cast” copy. Not created to fool people by leaving the intentional imperfections in place. 

there are other outfits there that create dies to recreate as perfect a copy as possible. 

0CD55E38-3DDE-4433-B608-D67ACFB23649.jpeg

FB8927D4-B792-495D-9711-EAABFA016FE0.jpeg

6AC65C07-F923-4868-9419-9B224C3A977F.jpeg

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

5 minutes ago, ilovesilverireallydo said:

Now here is a rather high end copy I picked up early this year when I was out there- in pure silver. 

mine is a “cast” copy. Not created to fool people by leaving the intentional imperfections in place. 

there are other outfits there that create dies to recreate as perfect a copy as possible. 

0CD55E38-3DDE-4433-B608-D67ACFB23649.jpeg

FB8927D4-B792-495D-9711-EAABFA016FE0.jpeg

This is in .999FS?

Fake silver is tricky from time to time... I just yesterday found out that a Spanish 20 reales 1894 that I purchased veeeery early in my collecting days have turned out fake. 😛 Failed the magnet test as it slid of faster then I placed it almost and ways a full five (5!!!) grams less than it should 😛 On the positive note, it's the only fake I found in my collection so far :) So this forum is good as it was here I learned to look for fakes :)

Archived