• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Feedback on flaws due to the minting process

inviron

Dear Silver Forum Community,
I am interested in your feedback on flaws due to the minting process.  
I designed a one ounce reverse proof silver round which I had manufactured by a mint in Australia.  I produced it with the intention of it being a premium product, limited edition, numbered COA and individual laser engraved number.
I have been individually inspecting each piece to make sure I am satisfied with the quality.  I have found a few so far with an impression of a hair or fiber, but the main issue is what I believe to be striation lines.  Some are more obvious than others but the luster is dulled to varying degrees where they are present.  Some need to be viewed from an acute angle to notice, whereas others are immediately visible when viewing the round normally.  I have attached a short clip showing the lines on one round that can be seen clearly.  I rejected this one.
I have just been looking some coins from my collection that have been produced by the Perth mint etc.  and the first thing I noticed was that the polished areas often had the lowest relief.  This is of interest because I had noticed on some of my pieces that the striation lines disappeared in the lower relief areas of the design.   This leads me to wonder if the greater movement of physical material in the lower relief areas in the stamping process can remove certain types of striation lines that appear on a blank.
Anyway, after looking at these other coins from major mints I think my rounds are quite good generally, and maybe I am being too harsh, but so far I have rejected about a third of the rounds, due to any obvious flaw including a dulled area of luster due to fine lines on either side of the round. 
Before I had a look at the other coins in my collection I was discouraged by the number I was rejecting, and I was considering getting them all remade by another mint.  However, now I am thinking about just getting the mint to remake the rejected ones.
Personally, I think it comes down to whether or not I would be happy to have this round in my collection after buying it.  And since I really like how the design turned out, and if there is no obvious flaw, the simple answer is yes.  The limited edition and individual numbering are just bonuses.
I would like to know the perspective of the community.  

If your looking for perfection from a stamped coin its going to be a really long day. If I had to guess on average how many coins grade PFUC 70 from a run of 15k I would have to say somewhere around 5-8%

It also is engraving dependent on how fine the work was done. Do a longer video and use a pencil or something specific to point to what your talking about.

How many where minted?

Thank you for your reply.  From the medallions I have checked so far, there are probably 5-8% that I subjectively grade as excellent.  I am trying to get an idea of if I am looking too much for perfection, and if what I am classing as unacceptable is actually normal.

In the video I was trying to show the fine lines that run horizontally across the shield.  The video was short because I could only upload 5MB and I wanted to keep the quality high as I thought it would preserve the lines better.  With a bit of trial and error I should be able to find a good compromise between video length and quality.

I minted 1111.

Archived