• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Geographical diversification

adamantio999

Good evening.
I'm an Italian citizen living and working in U.K. since 5 years. I'm 34 y.o., and I didn't know anything about PM until a couple of years ago, when I've started allocating a significan part of my savings in physical gold and silver. I haven't stacked that much so far (6 ounces of gold and 130 ounces of silver), I do what I can afford to do, but I'm still relatively young and the work will continue in the foreseeable future.
The further I go, the more clear it appears to me that storage and safety becomes a bigger and bigger issue, as the stack grows bigger. So I've had an idea. I return in Italy roughly three times every year for holidays, visiting family and friends. I was thinking about storing a little part of my physical PM there, hiding them in one of the properties of my family, but still keeping the majority with me in U.K..
I would just make me feel better not keeping all the eggs in the same basket.

Does that make any sense? Or it's just a stupid idea?

Thank you

Thank you very much for the answers.

I've always been skeptical about the safe deposit boxes. I've read so many bad rumors about personal belongings being stolen from private safe deposit boxes. Perhaps I am just paranoid

7 hours ago, adamantio999 said:

Thank you very much for the answers.

I've always been skeptical about the safe deposit boxes. I've read so many bad rumors about personal belongings being stolen from private safe deposit boxes. Perhaps I am just paranoid

The other (potential) downside to using "Safety deposit boxes" is  - THEY are in a "BANK"!! 😞

People in Greece and Cyprus found this to be a serious issue - when the BANKS STAY SHUT - in a SHTF scenario!

It becomes out of reach - at the banks or governments instruction

Thought it might fit here instead of a new thread. Ive had a safety deposit box now for a year with insurance. I was trying to find what i needed incase my items were stolen. I cant find any information to show you can get them valued the same way you can a watch due to price movement i think.

All i have seen so far is:

- original invoice.

- images of the coin or bar.

Is that all you need to keep incase everything was stolen?

Thanks.

On 06/11/2019 at 20:51, RichmondStacker said:

A few months back the Italian government was throwing around the idea of taxing safety deposit boxes. 

Minions What GIF

I was speaking with an Indian friend last night  and he informed me

that the Indian government has placed/is placing a "LIMIT" on how much a person/couple can hold in GOLD

ANYTHING over the limit - will be "TAXED"!!!!!

If this goes down with the populace, anything like last years attack on the currency,

then its time to "HIDE" MORE from the "SYSTEM" - wherever you live!!   IMHO

The further I go, the more clear it appears to me that storage and safety becomes a bigger and bigger issue, as the stack grows bigger. So I've had an idea. I return in Italy roughly three times every year for holidays, visiting family and friends. I was thinking about storing a little part of my physical PM there, hiding them in one of the properties of my family, but still keeping the majority with me in U.K..

Bitcoin was designed for this. All you need to do is remember a sequence of 24 words.
If your living situation isn't settled then storage easily becomes a problem and your only options really are to either hide it or trust someone else to safely store it for you.
If you intend to travel with your gold and silver then the safest way is it simply being in the form of jewelery but then you have the problem in likely buying the stuff on high premiums and having to carry it with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fqeGBru7Z0

In my opinion spread the stack in 3-4 different places

Example : 1) at your parents home or your brother home ( or best friend ) 

2) most at your home 

3) one at your wife s family or home 

Better if one of the 3 is in 2 different countries 

Just keep an excel sheet or a paper where it s written where you hide it 

( If you have a big budget then you may use a vault )

I think it's a good idea to diversify locations. Though I personally would feel uncomfortable not being to lay my eye on that location regularly.

Please just make sure it is not in a place where some third party (a maid, craftsmen) could accidentally find it, and not in a place that could be subject to destruction (fire, flooding, natural wear).

'Family properties in Italy' makes me think of hollowed out stones behind shelves in ancient wine cellars - a fitting place for some precious metal goodies 😊

I know someone who has the bulk of his stock in a different continent where relatives of his have guns and he has a smaller but increasing fraction in the UK.

It should also be kept in mind theft happens also within families - and they have all of the time in the world to open a safe they dont have the combination for. There was a German bullion dealer mentioning a case where a family member busted the safe!

What if the Euro crisis breaks out again in Italy and Italy becomes the next Greece?

"Sorry but we had to do it, it was your gold or starving! How can you be so selfish and not care about your family! You  in the UK still have a job, why do you even complain?!"

Archived