• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Collecting gold?

RoughDog

Wondering who here collects gold coins rather than pure stacking (cheapest or near cheapest bullion) ?

Queens beast, panda, sovereign, Britannia date runs etc.

Other than the huge price difference I don't really see much difference between collecting silver and collecting gold myself.

Wondered what people thought about it?

34 minutes ago, RoughDog said:

Wondering who here collects gold coins rather than pure stacking

Me. Half sov date runs, double sovs, US pre 33 and odd things that catch my eye like the twenty pesos and buffalo.

I would find stockpiling coins of the same date a bore.

when i say collecting, what i am really asking is about following a series or trying to purchase a perticular coin each year. wanting various coins rather than trying to purchase an amount of gold each year 

Most of the coins (gold) you listed are bullion gold coins. First I only buy NGC or PCGS gold coins. Pandas in proof or mint state sell at or near melt around here. I bought a small group of Queens beast quarter ounce gold coins at melt a few months back. Platinum Queens beast also sell near melt. Over the years I have bought some rare gold coins, 1879 carson city $5 lib, 19870-S one dollar gold coin and 1872 Carson City double eagle and so on. I found out that over the last ten years they mostly have lost value.  Right now $20 gold double eagles are the cheapest I have seen them since the 1990's in high grades.  So I buy collector gold now but only for melt or near melt.  Watch you online auctions as MS62 or 63 double eagles are selling at or near melt.  Good Luck bidding,  Jim

Started a date run for half sovereigns in a card, from 2000-2008 (that's all in my knowledge). I have some Lunar II 1/10 but not sure if I'll go for the series. This will probably depend on if I manage to get the first two at a reasonable cost, otherwise I will keep them as bullion. Have some 1 gr. cards and thinking to start a collection maybe.

Also completed a 2004 Olympics set in 1/25 gold coins from Bulgaria  (fit nicely in a sovereign box).

DSC_1197.JPG

Instagram: gildeon_67

I stack and collect. For me personally, from a collecting perspective, I like to have at least one sovereign for every year since I started buying gold. I have at least one for each year since 2011. There are a few other pieces that are a collection of sorts, but mostly it's stacking bullion. Numismatics is an area I am ignorant of.

1/4 OZ queens beasts in gold proof is my only "collection/ collecting" series now to which I am committed to see to the end ( 3 more), I did have a little run on silver 1 oz pandas ( about 12 years & bullion) other than that I have some one off years sovereigns, 2005, 2012 (need a 2002). the rest of my small stack is mainly bullion gold sovereigns of various years , only exception is a 1887 11 coin collection I inherited which jump started my interest in precious metals and lead me here :D

dean.m

With premiums being pretty reasonable now on Pre-1933 US gold, I've tried to focus on an example of each denomination in AU or BU condition.  I do love the history/artwork involved.  Following the same logic,  European Sovereigns, Francs, Florins, Marks, Kroners, etc. also are in my sights anytime I can pick them up fairly.  I don't stack any of them specifically but try to obtain examples of the monarch/dynasty I can find.  My only re-occurring gold purchase tends to be a "Roo".  Again, cause I like the changing designs.  

I’m in it for the money! Haven’t got the funds to admire coins but speculate to accumulate. Started out with the usual 1oz  Kruger, Eagle Brit etc. but soon realised accumulating wasn’t really speculating so I decided to change tactics and go for something more collectible. Which brought me onto the QB,s. After collecting the first five and doing some research realised that the QB,s bullion 1oz Gold coins were minted in their millions which prompted me to think again. Collectibles fetch the most premium the rarer they are. I then went for the 1oz QB,s Proof with COA limited edition. So as it stands at the moment I am the proud owner of at the most 390 samples world wide which I hope will reap rewards beyond my wildest dreams or my wifes. Waiting for the last three. Confirmation pending!

All the best & be good as gold!

I collect gold coins, rather than stack gold.  So yes, I have the QBs in 1oz and 1/4oz, plus the Oriental Border Britannias, the Two Dragons, Royal Arms and Lunar Monkey coins, plus a few specific year Britannias, Sovereigns and a few specfic silver and platinum coins too.

I really enjoy cherishing them and admiring them.  I will finish the QB series and then probably look forward to any Platinum Jubilee coins in 2022 assuming Her Maj makes it 🙂

On 02/11/2019 at 11:52, Stuntman said:

I collect gold coins, rather than stack gold.  So yes, I have the QBs in 1oz and 1/4oz, plus the Oriental Border Britannias, the Two Dragons, Royal Arms and Lunar Monkey coins, plus a few specific year Britannias, Sovereigns and a few specfic silver and platinum coins too.

I really enjoy cherishing them and admiring them.  I will finish the QB series and then probably look forward to any Platinum Jubilee coins in 2022 assuming Her Maj makes it 🙂

I salute you sir but I would be absolutely scared sh*t if I had that amount of Gold in my house. Mine are all in a safe deposit and so can’t be admired! Shame really not making collectors sense. 

16 minutes ago, Howie said:

I salute you sir but I would be absolutely scared sh*t if I had that amount of Gold in my house. Mine are all in a safe deposit and so can’t be admired! Shame really not making collectors sense. 

Here in the states the government can freeze and or confiscate your safety deposit box if your bank is a SIFI. significant important financial institution.  This was part of the Dot Frank laws passed around 2012. In the dot frank law its on or around page 90-108. I can not remember the exact page. So do not feel that your bank is safe as the biggest crooks (the government ) is out there. IF YOU DON'T HOLD IT YOU DON'T OWN IT!!!    Jim

2 minutes ago, blindguy said:

Here in the states the government can freeze and or confiscate your safety deposit box if your bank is a SIFI. significant important financial institution.  This was part of the Dot Frank laws passed around 2012. In the dot frank law its on or around page 90-108. I can not remember the exact page. So do not feel that your bank is safe as the biggest crooks (the government ) is out there. IF YOU DON'T HOLD IT YOU DON'T OWN IT!!!    Jim

Still be scared as sh*t! Used to put stuff under the mattress but all cond. onto that! So sleep well.

Be good as Gold

10 hours ago, Howie said:

salute you sir but I would be absolutely scared sh*t if I had that amount of Gold in my house. Mine are all in a safe deposit and so can’t be admired! Shame really not making collectors sense. 

I keep mine in a SD box, I also keep two or three gold coins at home just to admire and fondle now and again.😋

I’m totally hopeless at stacking gold despite using the term liberally in my comments and posts. My gold coin collection consists of 1oz and 1/4oz world coins, Queen’s Beasts, Lunars and sovereigns. No two gold coins are the same. I did try stacking gold once by attempting to stack the same-year sovereigns in an empty Royal Mint sovereign tube but had to ditch the strategy when boredom and fatigue set in.

I am stacking 1 oz QB Gold coins but collecting the entire series and have recently sold off all my fractional gold coins so I have nothing to fondle with at home. All my Gold held safety deposit box.

IMG_0529.JPG.34a9c71cf8a8d5e5ee62890d7d2

@CadmiumGreen some of the beasts can rip you in two I would much prefer to fondle these fine Silver ladies and I tell my wife that when I fool around with Silver it does not count.

IMG_1798.JPG.a26c052283f66f77d7c2962be39

8 hours ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Looks like @Howie has some Beasts at home he likes to fondle. 😆 Wonderful collection!!

Thanks, some things just don’t fit in safe deposits!

8 hours ago, CadmiumGreen said:

Looks like @Howie has some Beasts at home he likes to fondle. 😆 Wonderful collection!!

1 hour ago, Abyss said:

I am stacking 1 oz QB Gold coins but collecting the entire series and have recently sold off all my fractional gold coins so I have nothing to fondle with at home. All my Gold held safety deposit box.

IMG_0529.JPG.34a9c71cf8a8d5e5ee62890d7d2

@CadmiumGreen some of the beasts can rip you in two I would much prefer to fondle these fine Silver ladies and I tell my wife that when I fool around with a Silver it does not count.

IMG_1798.JPG.a26c052283f66f77d7c2962be39

Nice, very nice.

Archived