• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

How do I get this coin graded, is it worth it?

Downs523

Hi everyone,  I have a 1915 $10 indian head gold coin i am considering to send for grading. However I'm not sure it's good enough and this is all new to me.

Does the coin look good enough for a submission? 

If so how do I go about this? Are there companies online anyone can refer me to please.

Thanks

20191010_185150.jpg

20191010_185201.jpg

20191022_185317.jpg

20191022_185337.jpg

Hi @Downs523

I have only had a couple of coins graded and it was because I could not objectively tell if they were genuine.  These were all US 2.5 Dollar Indian heads that were in very good condition, weighed correctly etc. 

The 2.5 Dollar Indian head was widely counterfeited and I think the “best” of these originated in the Middle East (a couple of people have mentioned Lebanon in the 1960’s /70’s to me in conversation).

Of the three two were genuine and one counterfeit.  The counterfeit one subsequently proved to have a higher gold content than the genuine ones!

Could I tell the difference? No!

So I think grade if you want to - everyone has good reasons - mine was purely because I could not tell if they were genuine or not!

Best

Dicker 

Not my circus, not my monkeys

13 hours ago, Downs523 said:

Hi everyone,  I have a 1915 $10 indian head gold coin i am considering to send for grading. However I'm not sure it's good enough and this is all new to me.

If so how do I go about this? Are there companies online anyone can refer me to please.

Thanks

Hello Downs523,

we are (4 times) certified Partner from PCGS, but i would not recommend to grade this coin. First of all, you touched it with the fingers, which means that the coin need to be restored to get a good grading. 

But the second problem is, that the indian head is not a coin which is collected by many people. Near the minted year, it looks like it is damaged which may give you a very bad result. 

The indian heads usually becomes PCGS MS-63, maybe MS-64. It would only worth it, if you grade it for like 10$ on the next fair where PCGS or NGC do live grading.

On ‎24‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:11, RoslandGold said:

if you grade it for like 10$ on the next fair where PCGS or NGC do live grading.

I had no idea they did this.  When I spoke to NGC and PCGS at a fair in London all they were doing was signing people up and taking in submissions.  Is this a thing they do in Germany or is it only in the USA?  And can you go along and watch how they do it?  It might be useful to see how a coin gets a 69 instead of 70.

On ‎23‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 22:47, Downs523 said:

If so how do I go about this? 

No idea on the first but if you are in London on 2 November then you might take it along to see Numistacker at the London Coin Fair.

One of my favourite coins - not that I have one.

I wouldn't worry too much about touching it with your fingers as I doubt you'll ever see one that has never been handled.  Maybe if you're very lucky/rich or find a proof that has never been touched.

You might find an uncirculated one that hasn't had much handling as someone put it away instead of handing in their gold

I guess it's down to personal choice as some people will pay more for a graded coin.  I wouldn't and it's not a rare coin but it might make some people more confident about buying it.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

I wouldn't worry too much about touching it with your fingers as I doubt you'll ever see one that has never been handled.  Maybe if you're very lucky/rich or find a proof that has never been touched.

You might find an uncirculated one that hasn't had much handling as someone put it away instead of handing in their gold

I guess it's down to personal choice as some people will pay more for a graded coin.  I wouldn't and it's not a rare coin but it might make some people more confident about buying it.

I need to disagree by 100%. If you buy a modern coin (current year, or at least not too old) from a reseller who offer grading, the chance is very high that you get a 100% untouched coin which was from the first strike minting and straight from the closed and sealed tube to PCGS/NGC.

Beside of that, that doesnt mean that you get 70s. We graded a few thousand coins in 2019 and tried to send ONLY first day or first strike coins form the masterbox directly to PCGS.

It also depends which mint graded the coins. US Mint coins are like 99% MS69 and MS70s. RM coins are almost never MS70s, same as RCM coins. 

Even brandnew coins from the first day may get only MS65~. See attached which were minted on the first day and directly from masterbox to PCGS.

As soon as you touched the coin, you will never get a 70 aslong as you dont restore it (which includes cleaning). 

Edit: @Murph, if you mean only the Indian head, than i can confirm that 🙂

grade1.png

grade2.png

On 23/10/2019 at 22:47, Downs523 said:

Thanks

20191010_185150.jpg

20191010_185201.jpg

20191022_185317.jpg

20191022_185337.jpg

That is one beautiful coin thier.

On 26/10/2019 at 18:14, JunkBond said:

I think @Murph was referring specifically to $10 indian Heads.

Yes, since that is the coin the op posted asking about.  I wouldn’t comment on brand new coins when afaik they asked about a 10 dollar Indian head.

obviously when it comes to new coins you can usually purchase them untouched, although there is no guarantee of that with bullion.

Archived