• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

1887 & 1893 Five Sovereign Fake or Not?

1817Karl

Hi

I am afraid that the photos are not clear enough to really for me to see.  

Chards put together this excellent video on  detecting counterfeit 1887 Quintuples

From what I have seen, there are more counterfeit varieties than the one in the below video so be very careful.  

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

2 hours ago, dicker said:

Hi

I am afraid that the photos are not clear enough to really for me to see.  

Chards put together this excellent video on  detecting counterfeit 1887 Quintuples

From what I have seen, there are more counterfeit varieties than the one in the below video so be very careful.  

Best

Dicker

Many thanks, I have seen this video before. I found it quite confusing and not that helpful though...

1817.co.uk | Home of Britain's finest modern gold Sovereigns

www.1817.co.uk | karl@1817.co.uk | www.facebook.com/1817SovereignCollector

Hello, Unfortunately in my opinion and 30 years of dealing, they both look counterfeit on the photographs to me, the colour looks wrong, to pale yellow as does the definition. The surfaces look mushy, St.George's six pack doesn't show a any definition nor does the bottom horse's hoof and head. This is just my opinion.

Regards,

Neilsmithcoins

Find a good photo of a genuine 1887 £5 and compare. I find that the lower tail features tend to be a tell for most fakes.

IIRC the Chards video just focuses on small marks that originate from the dies used for one type of fake. There are many others.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

10 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

Are these from eBay? I just won't buy 1887 coins from there, too many high quality fakes. Morgan dollars and now any carded gold bars are also on the don't buy list.  

Added 0 minutes later...

Ps no idea if the above is fake though. 

Hi. No, not from Ebay, been in a family friends collection for 30 years or so. 

8 hours ago, neilsmithcoins said:

Hello, Unfortunately in my opinion and 30 years of dealing, they both look counterfeit on the photographs to me, the colour looks wrong, to pale yellow as does the definition. The surfaces look mushy, St.George's six pack doesn't show a any definition nor does the bottom horse's hoof and head. This is just my opinion.

Regards,

Neilsmithcoins

Neil. I'm inclined to agree, they don't just look right, they look a little one dimensional, but they are difficulty to call.  Invested £50 to have then graded so lets see... I'll keep you posted. Karl

8 hours ago, sovereignsteve said:

Find a good photo of a genuine 1887 £5 and compare. I find that the lower tail features tend to be a tell for most fakes.

IIRC the Chards video just focuses on small marks that originate from the dies used for one type of fake. There are many others.

Yes, completely agree... We'll see what the outcome of grading brings. 

Archived