• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

The Perth Mint 1 oz bar, fake or genuine?

Draconicus

Hello guys,

Last week I received a package from a trustable Dutch Bullion dealer (what I avoid to say the name for now as I am in negotiations with them about this), On that packages I received 30 1 0z Silver coins,1 swiss Pamp gold bar 1 0z and a Perth mint also 1 0z. 

All was fine and normal except the P. Mint one! Accordingly to this site it was a fake it have all the "fake signs". The only difference it was one of the older green cards not the new black ones.

https://www.fakebullion.com/index.php/component/k2/item/48-perth-mint-1-ounce-gold-bar-in-black-assay-card-gen-3

On the link pls see also the small video at 2.20m to see a weight test between a genuine and a fake one, and you will see that mine have also a "bad" weight accordingly to the test.

I explained this to them and the bullion dealer answer to me:

-" We test all gold bars with a Bullion Tester to verify not only the weight and dimensions but also the magnetism. We are aware of fake bars and they are easily detected with the testing methods we use.

A metal’s magnetism cannot be manipulated. Every metal reacts in its own way to a magnetic field. It is either attracted or repulsed. The manner and magnitude of this reaction depend entirely on the composition of the metal. Precious metals like gold are not magnetic and are only weakly repulsed by a magnetic field. Popular counterfeit materials (like e.g. tungsten, molybdenum, tantalum, hafnium, iridium, rhenium) on the other hand are attracted by magnets. The GVS Bullion Tester we use measures the attraction or repulsion of the magnet contactlessly. All test objects remain in their packaging and suffer no decrease in value. Gilded objects and tungsten cores are identified immediately. Also, more objects can be tested simultaneously, like e.g. coins in a tube. The device is equally suited for large bullions. Results are available within seconds."

So I will post here my Pics from the bar and I will ask you what you think about this? Fake?, genuine?

I never had problems with this dealer before and I buy from them for 2 years.

Your toughs?

Paulo

IMG-2895.JPG

IMG-2897.JPG

IMG-2898.JPG

There are three things about this bar that I don’t like: 

(1) The serial number printing and positioning

(2) The Kangaroos do not finish neatly at the edge of the field before the rim of the bar

(3) The technical information in the top left corner - the text seems to have a little too much space above and below before the dividing lines 

I could be wrong but just my observations.  

The key is to get it tested in a Sigma

Best

Dicker

Not my circus, not my monkeys

26 minutes ago, Draconicus said:

I'm negotiating a replacement of the bar. Let's see how it works.... 

And an 1 gr bar gift  for your trouble (if he ever want your business again)

Reading the reply from your dealer all they are saying is that they've tested that it's real gold. It could still be possible the mint marks are fake which reminds me of this:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-gold-swiss-fakes-exclusive/exclusive-fake-branded-bars-slip-dirty-gold-into-world-markets-idUSKCN1VI0DD

Which would mean you still didn't get what you bought.

The thickness on the bar is a big giveaway, even though the picture is not a full side profile, you can see it is a chunk of a bar, a 1oz gold bar wont be anywhere near as thick, the reply from the dealer sounds like they are pretty certain they haven't provided you with a counterfeit, so Im not sure how this will go but good luck, name and shame them

hope you get a resolution from this. IMO once it leaves their inventory, it becomes nearly impossible for them to refund because it opens up a can of worms for them if they entertain exchanges (how do they know it hasn't been swapped, others might try the same thing, etc) and if they agree then they basically admit their testing is not up to scratch. 

I hope they note the serial numbers of the bars they send out to customers or I guess they would be cautious about accepting returns in case someone keeps a real bar and sends a fake bar back. I hope it works out for you though

Yes they take note of the serial numbers of the bars they send ...Thanks God! So if the package was not opened the replacement it's possible, but not refunds, as they don't refund Buullions.

The deal it's done and the bar will be dispatched to them tomorrow:) As soon as they receive it they will send a new brand Umicore as a replacement... and I will be running to here with it so I can have your opinions about it's legitimacy :P

Thank you very much to all guys.

@Draconicus I would suggest asking for a replacement in the form of a coin not an assay bar. It will lend to better testing and verification that it is real!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

22 minutes ago, Draconicus said:

As soon as they receive it they will send a new brand Umicore as a replacement...

Glad to hear this.

Also, tell them to buy a sigma machine and check every single piece of gold from the shop

17 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

@Draconicus I would suggest asking for a replacement in the form of a coin not an assay bar. It will lend to better testing and verification that it is real!

That was a brilliant idea my friend, but the deal is negotiated now, and I will not change it. But I will have that in consideration if ever I experience the same problem with a bar.

Thank you very much ByB.

Archived