• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

One month into stacking - thoughts of a beginner

Chronix

I have discovered stacking a month ago and since I am in my thirties and being oblivious of precious metals investments, my thought is I need to catch up a bit. On the other hand, never have I heard my friends or people i get into contact with knows anything about it as well. Or do they? :D

So last month I have been enjoying discovering stacking world and this forum was a major help! Thanks everyone!

So where do I stand now, after one month into it. Speculation is that silver is going to skyrocket, right? My thinking is..i have no idea of course! But what I wish is for it to NOT skyrocket. YET. ;) of course I will say that. Because I dont own any! I really enjoy researching all the options of silver and gold varieties, so silver being priced that it is right now makes it perfect option for stacking ambitions. Somebody said, "silver being priced as one meal at the restaurant, or a pizza is a bargain right now". I would further that with - it is ridicoulously cheap! Now, of course not everyone economical status is the same or at that level, but my bet is most of the people can manage acquiring couple ounces of silver each week. My thoughts and predictions on silver... I wish price would drop even further, so we all can acquire more, and I wish in whatever distant future it moonshots to x10 or more. Now that would be hell of a ride. Worst thing that could happen in my opinion is if it rises to 40-50-60 $ an ounce. that would mean to me... ROI wise... meeah... stacking wise...🙄 not that fun as it is now..

Gold on the other hand.. for me, too expensive per ounce and I am reluctant to buy 1/10 or so because It is so tiny it can easily end up in my vacuum cleaner. Just not a thrill. 1,500$ per ounce... ugh.. need to make more money to be comfortable buying it. 

Now, as you probably figured out, I don't really care much of ROI of gold and silver, but the fun of collecting it and researching it. Locking my cash so It does not go in to useless things is a benefit as well. So,while I am figuring out a way to increase my economic situation, I will enjoy buying some more beautiful shiny metals! :D

Those are the thoughts of a complete newbie, hope it was interesting to read (if you made it all the way down here), we will see what the future brings, my bet is my position on stacking will change in couple months, time will tell in what way. 

Cheers everyone and stack on!

Chronix

my advice would be,

don't go balls deep into it straight away, you might change your mind or circumstances

buy safely from trusted sellers,

pay sensibly not too high,

buy quality, stay away from anything damaged, as when you decide to sell  a potential buyer will use this against you to knock price down or even reject it

buy what you like, that way if you are stuck with it because of falling markets its still something nice to look at

and most of all have fun doing it

Welcome to the forum. Do you know of any bullion dealers in Croatia? I 've only managed to stumble upon cash for gold shops in Novi Marof and Varazdin. The old airport terminal in Zagreb used to sell collectible gold and silver coins but stopped as they hardly ever sold any. I've been bringing over 1oz silver coins and 1 gram gold bars to give to close friends as gifts in Croatia to get them interested and they don't know of any local bullion dealers to them.

9 minutes ago, MickB said:

Welcome to the forum. Do you know of any bullion dealers in Croatia? I 've only managed to stumble upon cash for gold shops in Novi Marof and Varazdin. The old airport terminal in Zagreb used to sell collectible gold and silver coins but stopped as they hardly ever sold any. I've been bringing over 1oz silver coins and 1 gram gold bars to give to close friends as gifts in Croatia to get them interested and they don't know of any local bullion dealers to them.

You are missing out on a business venture there ;)

1 minute ago, SILVERFINGER said:

Nah I mean open a shop there

Too much red tape. Bad enough going through the paperwork when I bought my cottage there. Wouldn't want the hassle of a business.

49 minutes ago, MickB said:

Croatian folks are very unfamiliar with gold and silver investments. 

Try bankazlata.com  - they are very profesional, in Zagreb, and have decent offerings. also, cool bullion portfolio calculator on their website.

1 hour ago, SILVERFINGER said:

my advice would be,

don't go balls deep into it straight away, you might change your mind or circumstances

buy safely from trusted sellers,

pay sensibly not too high,

buy quality, stay away from anything damaged, as when you decide to sell  a potential buyer will use this against you to knock price down or even reject it

buy what you like, that way if you are stuck with it because of falling markets its still something nice to look at

and most of all have fun doing it

great advices, thanks! will follow.

28 minutes ago, Chronix said:

Croatian folks are very unfamiliar with gold and silver investments. 

Try bankazlata.com  - they are very profesional, in Zagreb, and have decent offerings. also, cool bullion portfolio calculator on their website.

Thanks for the link, will have a look there when I next visit.

Welcome! And good luck on your journey. Just buy what you like and try to get it all at a good price. The forum is a brilliant place for seeking advice and in turn you can share your own thoughts that will help everyone too.

Re the 1/10’s. They are excellent (and I agree small) but slow buys soon get you to a good position and from a safety perspective, they are easy to store. Do you want to have €150 in the bank earning zero interest or a small coin in a safe place that probably will be worth at least €175, possibly more, in ten years’ time?

Cheers.

3 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

Agreed about 1/10 easily to store and hide.  You can also consider sovereigns or 1/2oz gold coins.  But you cant beat 1oz coins especially if you like the coin design itself! 

I agree. Buy the small gold coins if you can afford them. Keep them stashed away somewhere, so that your vacuum or pets won't eat them. 😎

Are you in Croatia? I don't know what types of gold coins are available there, but the Mexican 5 peso gold coins are about 1/8 ounce, and usually can be had for $5-$15 US over spot price. They're about the best deal for gold coins. Right now, here in my area in the US you can get one for about $185.

For smaller gold purchases in Croatia it might be worth looking at older coins from the Austro-Hungarian Empire -  20 corona coins at around 270€, 10 corona coins at ~145€, plus 8 & 4 florin and 1 or 4 ducat coins. These are the local equivalent of old sovereigns in the UK and Napoleonic gold coins in France. You'd need to find a trustworthy dealer to avoid counterfeits though.

Archived