• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is Austrian mint out of good ideas? The Gold of Mesopotamia

daca

In my internet searches I stumble upon this "monstrosity"   - The Gold of Mesopotamia - issue on 16 October 2019, part of the Magic of gold series.

Personally I fail to understand the connections between Austria and Mesopotamia. The 100 euro and Republic of Osterreich marks are so estrange from the ancient symbols and elements of architecture that manage to ruin this form me.  Also, I fail to understand what is happening below the cow (ox)  mouth.

Is just me?

More info
Price per item: 799,00 € for 1/2 oz coin.

https://www.muenzeoesterreich.at/eng/produkte/the-gold-of-mesopotamia

https://www.coininvest.com/en/gold-coins/the-magic-of-gold/1-2-oz-gold-of-mesopotamia-gold-coin-2019/

100Euro_Mesopotamien_AV-RV-768x381.jpg

PS : I'm a big fan of the Ducat coins restrike, so this is not just badmouthing Austrian mint.

23 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

The left hand picture aint to bad and has a nice historic look to it

Agreed, and maybe if they use other font to make the writing more  ancient was going to be more appealing .

26 minutes ago, SILVERFINGER said:

the otherside looks like one of my exe's

🤣 🤣🤣

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

| "Also, I fail to understand what is happening below the cow (ox)  mouth."

The Mesopotamian sun god Utu/Shamash was often believed to take the form of a bull, particularly in his role at sunrise, and is the figure most frequently described in some cuniform texts as having a lapis lazuli beard.

All Wars Are Central Bankers' Wars

I like the way the Austrian mint just goes about its own thing even though I am not a fan of their mintage  policy which is always far more coins than they can reasonably hope to sell. You can go back 10 years and you can still get the 50 Euro limited proofs , and all releases of the rather fantastic wildlife series are still in stock.

As for the coin it question, I am rather taken with the meta nature of having a series of gold coins celebrating the history of gold! ...  

Archived