• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Exciting times

StackingItAll

8 hours ago, StackingItAll said:

Didnt use any didnt think would need it using silver shot. If I should have please let me know :)

well borax is used for making  a glass like cover over 

the molten metal silver gold brass and such the like

it is also a flux making the molten metal bond better to its self because its makes the metal hotter and keeps its heat for longer due to the glass cap

it also pushes away from the centre any impurities and in some cases can burn them away from the heat

as as its lighter than the metals when its poured it always goes to the top 

making with practice a very smooth surface

21 minutes ago, musketsmoke said:

it is also a flux making the molten metal bond better to its self because its makes the metal hotter and keeps its heat for longer due to the glass cap

it also pushes away from the centre any impurities and in some cases can burn them away from the heat

I have borax in the house for my laundry detergent making so will pop a bit in with next pour that should be in an hour or so :)thanks for the heads up really appreciated.

1 hour ago, musketsmoke said:

I used borax and it has come out horrible lol now back in melting again. Fingers crossed will sort itself out.

@StackingItAll you don't need borax, the silver is pure enough that it just is not needed and will just cause more grief than it is worth, by the sounds of it you have found this out already!

If you are experiencing lots of graphite schmutz, as I call it, then it might be worth getting some graphite stiring rods you can give the molten silver a quick stir and any floating "scum" or schmutz should come out on the stiring rod.

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

40 minutes ago, BackyardBullion said:

@StackingItAll you don't need borax, the silver is pure enough that it just is not needed and will just cause more grief than it is worth, by the sounds of it you have found this out already!

If you are experiencing lots of graphite schmutz, as I call it, then it might be worth getting some graphite stiring rods you can give the molten silver a quick stir and any floating "scum" or schmutz should come out on the stiring rod.

I wont be using it again :) the rods sound like the perfect solution I will order some now from Amazon thank you for the heads up.

Archived