• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

RD-90 Kiln problems

Mattwood198

Morning all,

Any of you lovely silver pourers out there have any advice for me?

I purchased a furnace from Technical Supermarket, service was great and this is no slight on them at all. My furnace arrived and worked really well the first time. I turned it on today for the 2nd time, it got to temp and poured fine. I filled the crucible back up for a 2nd run and it wouldn't heat up.

The furnace has no dials or indicators on it so I've no idea if it's a power issue or something else. I checked the plug and the fuse and that's all fine but I didn't want to faff with it anymore than that given it's under warranty. 

I just wanted to see if maybe I'm missing something before asking Technical Supermarket if I can send it back.

Thanks in advance for any help. :)

Matt

It would help if you gave a model number. There are several tests I would carry out but you would need the test equipment.

Most kilns have a thermal fuse, if you’ve run the kiln for an extended period that is the first place I’d look.

3 minutes ago, TonyS said:

It would help if you gave a model number. There are several tests I would carry out but you would need the test equipment.

Most kilns have a thermal fuse, if you’ve run the kiln for an extended period that is the first place I’d look.

Thank you Tony.

It's the R9-4-2016 version if that helps?

It was only running for about an hour , no more than 70 minutes, including heating up time.

I'll see if I can figure out the thermal fuse, thank you. :)

I have had a few furnaces burn out on me, but only after running them for 3/4 hours a day for weeks and weeks at a time so I cannot be more helpful at this stage, sorry!

All I know is that technical supermarket are very good with their warranty and repair - might take a few weeks but will be back up and running at least!

Good luck!

Visit my website for all my Hand Poured Silver: http://backyardbullion.com

And check out my YouTube channel 

https://www.youtube.com/backyardbullion

6 hours ago, BackyardBullion said:

I have had a few furnaces burn out on me, but only after running them for 3/4 hours a day for weeks and weeks at a time so I cannot be more helpful at this stage, sorry!

All I know is that technical supermarket are very good with their warranty and repair - might take a few weeks but will be back up and running at least!

Good luck!

Thank you BYB, I'm confident they will sort it out. Their service has been really good so far to be fair.

I'm just gutted I have to stop pouring for a while.

Archived