• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Royal Mint Sovereign Storage

Voltron86

Hi all, recently joined forums and was looking for some advice. Have read alot and there is some excellent tips and hope to learn more before I start collecting.

Would storing royal mint sovereigns in the official royal mint 25 tube containers cause any damage to the sovereigns long term? Or would it be better to store them individually in capsules. My worry is that if they were stored in them, if the sovereigns could scratch / leave marks being so close to other sovereigns in the tube.

It would mainly be for storing bullion sovereigns and not any BU / proofs etc.

6341cf0ad5d7c5875b26f2c8989e1c4a.jpg

If it's only ever going to be bullion sovs it really is ott to have capsules. Bang them all  up in a tube or a plastic food container or wrap them up in tinfoil/cling film. However you wish to store them when, it comes to selling bullion sovs condition will have little impact on the price/premium. This is only my opinion and my take on it, others may disagree but just think about entry and exit. Leaving some £ on the table is not the end of the world if and when you sell.

@Tn21 is absolutely right because bullion coins are valued more by their weight than the coin’s condition. Even the bullion dealers will tell you they’re just bullion. The Royal Mint sells tubes of bullion sovereigns to the dealers. The dealers have to take the sovereigns out of the tubes where they are stored in order to sell them individually to customers which inevitably leads to them getting scratched. The only coins I would encapsulate are numismatic coins and proofs which are worth more than their weight in gold.

I stored all my silver in capsules until I got fed up of the landslides if I even sneezed near the safe.

All standard sized coins are now in tubes, 10oz coins and bars don’t tend to fall over.

3 hours ago, TonyS said:

I stored all my silver in capsules until I got fed up of the landslides if I even sneezed near the safe.

Haha, I know this pain. But I use it as an excuse to fondle them and put them back in order etc in preparation for thr next sneeze! 

I used to store in tubes - but then I realised that even bullion coins sell quicker if they are in decent condition - and if like me, your plan is to sell the bulk after retirement, which could be 10-30 years from now, you never know how much premium these bullion coins will have if in decent condition. So in capsules they go, and then the capsules in labelled tubes. 

New Forum Sponsor! See Items for sale here  Also on Instagram: Bargain Numismatics 

7 hours ago, Serendipity said:

@Tn21 is absolutely right because bullion coins are valued more by their weight than the coin’s condition. Even the bullion dealers will tell you they’re just bullion. The Royal Mint sells tubes of bullion sovereigns to the dealers. The dealers have to take the sovereigns out of the tubes where they are stored in order to sell them individually to customers which inevitably leads to them getting scratched. The only coins I would encapsulate are numismatic coins and proofs which are worth more than their weight in gold.

there just bullion sold at sometimes very different premiums.

Archived