• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Help needed gold sovereign 2016 proof

Goldmick

After deciding to sell some of my gold proof coins I discovered that irrespective of the condition it is quite a challenge to sell much over spot.
Even when many proofs are listed at 10%, 20%, 50% over spot these are prices the dealers want to sell at but not finding any buyers.
Only buy if you really want this particular coin otherwise a fair price would be about 5% over spot.
I've replied without checking rarity, mintage etc just assuming this is a run of the mill coin.

8 minutes ago, Pete said:

After deciding to sell some of my gold proof coins I discovered that irrespective of the condition it is quite a challenge to sell much over spot.
Even when many proofs are listed at 10%, 20%, 50% over spot these are prices the dealers want to sell at but not finding any buyers.
Only buy if you really want this particular coin otherwise a fair price would be about 5% over spot.
I've replied without checking rarity, mintage etc just assuming this is a run of the mill coin.

Well I disagree, it all depends on which year sovereign it is. You can see evidence for this on this forum, on Ebay, etc. Not all sovereigns fetch the same prices. Also, the size also makes a difference... for example, a 2012 proof full sovereign will set you back about £1,000, whereas the 2012 half sovereign is not much more expensive than the other years. The 2016 butler effigy proof is definitely not a "run of the mill" year sovereign. They are quite sought after and the 2016 proof full sov can fetch £800 - £900 if graded PF70.

In general, half sovereigns don't seem to attract the same premiums that full sovereigns of key dates do. There are some exceptions... for example, if you can get a cheap 2017 half sovereign please show me.. I will take it without a second thought (if I had the money of course).

As for this 2016 half proof... at £160 I really do think it is a steal, I would have gone for it if I were you, Goldmick. 

42 minutes ago, Notafront4adragon said:

No. With that effigy they should be paying you to take it away. 

I think its a great portrait, but  acknowledge the cliche it's a bit Marmite to some.

7 minutes ago, goldmember44 said:

As for this 2016 half proof... at £160 I really do think it is a steal, I would have gone for it if I were you, Goldmick

Absolutely agree

Added 0 minutes later...
4 minutes ago, Goldmick said:

I have it and dont care i khow its a great price cond is tops to bargain me thinks even got a fiver off and rm capsule 

Well done Mick- great price- Grade it?

3 hours ago, Pete said:

Agreed.  I have found that pawn shops are more flexible in negotiating on proofs - lots hang around for a long time....  Dealers less willing to negotiate “its a proof of course sir...”

Not my circus, not my monkeys

Archived