• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Collector or Stacker.

AndrewR

My first post so I hope this goes OK.

I would class myself as a collector. I have been picking up coins on and off for a couple of years depending on finances. For the amount I spend I go for coins I like to look at knowing I am not going to make my fortune as I buy off UK sites and only a coin or two at a time.

One thing that I think has improved is the variety and quality of coins you can buy if you are a collector as shown with the South Africa Big 5 coins I saw on the Silver Trader website. 

Wether you stack your  Britannia’s or Eagles or collect a variety of coins to enjoy there is something to suit every pocket and a fantastic range of suppliers here in the UK or abroad. 

The only downside is that because I buy in the UK is the VAT.

But if you like shiny things this is the hobby to have.

77D0FBF5-8532-4CBF-A808-3E12F6D07304.jpeg

1949E063-0F45-4936-AECC-2B47BB97AF14.jpeg

D22B2A3F-FD43-446D-A2DD-37809F9AD270.jpeg

72B22FE3-45B4-4E2D-B849-FE50A5A4B146.jpeg

Yes a lovely coin. I am both stacker and collector. I stack gold sovs and collect mostly silver and a little gold BU.

Spend a while reading on the forum and you can learn alot and see loads of coins and rounds that are very expensive. hahaha.

Use the trading section on the forum it really is good.

Check out the new "Giants of the ice age series"

Happy collecting.

5 hours ago, AndrewR said:

My first post so I hope this goes OK.

I would class myself as a collector. I have been picking up coins on and off for a couple of years depending on finances. For the amount I spend I go for coins I like to look at knowing I am not going to make my fortune as I buy off UK sites and only a coin or two at a time.

One thing that I think has improved is the variety and quality of coins you can buy if you are a collector as shown with the South Africa Big 5 coins I saw on the Silver Trader website. 

Wether you stack your  Britannia’s or Eagles or collect a variety of coins to enjoy there is something to suit every pocket and a fantastic range of suppliers here in the UK or abroad. 

The only downside is that because I buy in the UK is the VAT.

But if you like shiny things this is the hobby to have.

77D0FBF5-8532-4CBF-A808-3E12F6D07304.jpeg

1949E063-0F45-4936-AECC-2B47BB97AF14.jpeg

D22B2A3F-FD43-446D-A2DD-37809F9AD270.jpeg

72B22FE3-45B4-4E2D-B849-FE50A5A4B146.jpeg

I have literally just placed an order for 2 each of these as I'm liking the series and getting into more of the collector side of things. Also UK based and 2 coins a month.

Aiming more towards stacker, though I do like variation among my stack so don't mind paying a modest premium for something I like the look of (I do have a couple of very high premium coins on order, purely due to their aesthetic value to me, as their premiums would require a 'silver to the moon' scenario to recoup in melt value).

As a UK based stacker there's always the VAT vs shipping from abroad issue on silver which can make collecting more desirable with potential numismatic values exceeding any VAT/shipping losses.

Stacker

I keep clear of numismatic coins myself - but do buy them as gifts for others. 

I like to buy as close to spot as possible - with occasional splurges on fancy shmancy items (usually silver bars). 

Generally buy in North America, Europe and on the forum. 

Will take a look at these new Big 5 coins as possible gift alternatives to Beasties. Thanx for bringing them to our attention @AndrewR

💷 💷 Check out my Wanted adds and message me direct if you can help 💷 💷 

I basically stack, while I also buy coins that are interesting to me. But I don't buy numismatic coins, especially slabbed and graded coins; only coins that I personally like, and rarely ever pay a big premium. I look to pay around 5% or less, preferably, but sometimes a little more if a coin I want is impossible to find for any less.

The only time you ever pay big premiums is when you're collecting, because then you're locking yourself in to completing a collection. If you're stacking then you only buy low premium.

I started as premium Collector ( not  numismatic  ) but last days with silver price increased  i am moving toward Stacker side so i am 50/50 now

Love these collection coins and keep buying them from time to time  

You should be able to liquidate you stack so u better have both 

I would consider myself a stacker by nature. Increasing the weight of my stack is what interests me the most and I've been doing it through bars mostly. There has been occasional dabbling in constitutional silver and the random poured silver bar, but nothing considered numismatic.

However, I've been drawn towards some of the old coinage of Wallachia in what is now Romania. Specifically, I'm looking at the Denar and Parvus minted by members of the same order that Vlad III Dracul was a part of.

There might a bit of collector in me yet.

Is it not possible to be both a stacker/collector the following coins even though don’t have huge premium over spot and minted many years ago are not considered premium coins have started to grow on me and the desire to acquire them in the future. Buying them will help grow gold stack and help itch the collector in me at the same time two birds with one stone.

3A595DB5-C10C-4B3D-911E-188B35386A79.jpeg.0d4cc4f5d025217dd15b0e5f3cd413df.jpegC20D25DD-ADF0-4570-8835-A5813C9C8D75.jpeg.338d75dbbe49d061def00ba48d0293c7.jpegCE5F1ED3-1601-4BED-BA18-03061C62050D.jpeg.e122025efabb06ad1dc7642874f0c88f.jpeg6F12AA57-8AC5-4C60-808B-B9EAE3C8D0DE.jpeg.375cb0804f990701c0121c6889101cff.jpeg3BBA38E6-C1A9-4339-8360-68823C3DFA44.jpeg.3c44dd7884b12e1cc6325c21a1145e17.jpeg

I am/want to be a stacker, just to add silver.

Nice to see my stack growing but it is kinda boring to watch at Maples, Philharmoniker, ASE's and Britannia's only. So sometimes I buy coins that are about €2-€5 more expensive just because they are beautiful and I like to watch them. But every now and then I am sorry I did that because I think 'Well, for the money I've spend on these little more expensive coins, I could have bought an extra ASE and and thus an extra Oz of silver'.

I try to buy PM every two weeks (small orders) and every time I doubt what to do. My last order were only ASE's again.

Archived