• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Pamp 5g bar, is it genuine or not ?

Tn21

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From the three side by side the last on the right being the forum bar in question, it seems that the genuine one has the Fortune filling the entire bar with the counter being slightly smaller.

Then on the back the serial number of the genuine doesnt have a letter to start but Pamp do have numbered serial numbers too. I find myself going from its fake to maybe genuine after all then back to its a fake.

Emotional roller-coaster 😆

5gramp.png

pamp23.png

Thank you all once again for the advice and information. With help from a fellow forum member we have come to a conclusion that the bar is genuine. 

Bar lives on to see another day.

IMG_20191011_152038.jpg

IMG_20191011_152013.jpg

1 hour ago, Tn21 said:

Thank you all once again for the advice and information. With help from a fellow forum member we have come to a conclusion that the bar is genuine. 

Bar lives on to see another day.

IMG_20191011_152038.jpg

IMG_20191011_152013.jpg

Fantastic news, glad it was not a fake after all.

Big credit to the forum and a huge thanks to @vicamyfor the use of the sigma.

On 08/10/2019 at 20:19, tallyhojim said:

How much are these Sigma machines?

Just checked the price. Jesus H!

On 08/10/2019 at 20:20, Tn21 said:

Last I checked in excess of £1.3k depending on model.

As of the last week or two there was a reply on @jonrms's Sigma thread where the original model was on sale for about £500 I think. Again (only iirc!) @Marc or someone else mentioned that the new one can't test through slabs.

Customs and duty would bump it up a lot, but if one has a friend in the States who can forward it on at a nominal declared fee...

:ph34r:

22 minutes ago, Robjw said:

Fantastic news, glad it was not a fake after all.

Big credit to the forum and a huge thanks to @vicamyfor the use of the sigma.

It did take a bit longer than I  expected to test it as just wanted to be certain. Because of the plastic cover, in the end it has to use the large wand. Very happy for the result. @Tn21 can now have a very good sleep this weekend. 😃

2 minutes ago, vicamy said:

It did take a bit longer than I  expected to test it as just wanted to be certain. Because of the plastic cover, in the end it has to use the large wand. Very happy for the result. @Tn21 can now have a very good sleep this weekend. 😃

Tricky isnt it given that the counterfeits are getting far better and the only real way to test for the average person is to remove it and lose value.

Its been a good story to follow though and indeed he can :)

8 minutes ago, Robjw said:

Tricky isnt it given that the counterfeits are getting far better and the only real way to test for the average person is to remove it and lose value.

Yes I totally agree. 

Anyway, I am more than happy to do my best to help anyone who would like to have their PM tested if in any doubts, as long as in the London area and close to me. 😃 Just to be clear no money involved at all. 

Incredible offer above, was a real pleasure meeting Vicamy. Went out of his way to test this bar for me and I truly appreciate it. 

Long live the forum, well worth the membership fees.

Hang on @Tn21 I think that sigma verifier may be fake, have you checked out the inconsistencies in the lettering😀

“Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” Oscillate Wildly

2 hours ago, daca said:

The lesson here is :  If we want to sleep better we need to buy a sigma machine

The real lesson hear is that You need to research and obtain the knowledge of what your buying. We have all experienced a situation like this - myself included, where we needed to get another opinion or expert help. Glad it’s real!

ps
(I fear if I got my hands on a sigma machine I would be checking everything in my house - just to see if it had any precious metals in it. 🤪😂)

2 hours ago, Pampfan said:

The real lesson hear is that You need to research and obtain the knowledge of what your buying. We have all experienced a situation like this - myself included, where we needed to get another opinion or expert help. Glad it’s real!

ps
(I fear if I got my hands on a sigma machine I would be checking everything in my house - just to see if it had any precious metals in it. 🤪😂)

I'm afraid this days the fakes are so good, that knowledge and experience will help avoid only 90-95% of them. The rest will burn your wallet .

2 hours ago, Pampfan said:

ps

I am afraid to say you are probably too optimistic of the machine. 😂 It wont measure junk silvers. I think it can measure 90% or above. Also, it sometimes can’t detect if there is a cover eg capsule, plastic,  slab, especially for small coins. To get clearer reading, it needs to be on smooth surface. 

Just seen this thread, I also have a Sigma tester but I live considerably further north in the UK anyway, so geographically that wouldn't have been a match. I have the pro version that measures all the way through the coin/bar (if they are not too thick as I don't have the extension for big bars), the one used here only measures the surface and just beneath, not sure how far exactly

If anyone has doubts about one piece and lives somewhat close to me, things could be arranged as well or I also don't mind having them sent to me if the owner of the piece pays the postage. But I'm not going to state here where exactly, you'd have to PM me and find out.

I don't have any gold bars but I can measure through capsules (1oz coins, Britannia, Eagle, Maple, Krugerrand, Philharmonic, Kangaroo) but Sovereigns and other small coins I had to take out as Sovereigns are too small for the bigger of the two sensors and the smaller one is too narrow for a capsule to fit in. Also for my double Sovereign I had to use the smaller sensor, I think they are too thin for the bigger one.

I also have some extensions for smaller items but they only measure the surface. But theoretically you should be able to measure (the surface of) Sovereigns in capsules there - I have not tried it out though.

These slabs are one reason I don't like bars. I want to be able to take it out. The packaging means nothing to me, no matter how may holograms etc they put on there. They should sell them in something you can open without destroying it, then you could easily do a gravity test.

P1030403.JPG

b.JPG

Very nice of Vicamy to help another member. This is one reason I really don't want to buy Pamp bars.....the chinese make lots of fakes that look almost exactly a like,  that seed of doubt that gets you wondering if its real or not.........I don't want that so I won't buy a pamp unless its XRF or Sigma in front of me.

Also about the sigma machine, I think if some members visit the US or any US citiziens is visiting Europe, perhaps they can buy 1 or 2  and sell it to other members for much cheaper.

5 hours ago, Mkman123 said:

Very nice of Vicamy to help another member. This is one reason I really don't want to buy Pamp bars.....the chinese make lots of fakes that look almost exactly a like,  that seed of doubt that gets you wondering if its real or not.........I don't want that so I won't buy a pamp unless its XRF or Sigma in front of me.

Also about the sigma machine, I think if some members visit the US or any US citiziens is visiting Europe, perhaps they can buy 1 or 2  and sell it to other members for much cheaper.

With regards to buying the Pamp bars if you buy from a reputable dealer I don't think you will have much to worry about. This was bought on eBay (say no more). 

I do have a family member heading to the US late October for Work. I was thinking whether to get one however I'm still 50-50 as my au weight is not quite up there to warrant such a device. 

Edit Vicamy is my new best friend

Archived