• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is this a full sovereign?

silvernewbie

Hi just this may be a stupid question but yesterday i got my first ever sovereign (full) and just checking its a FULL one which i ordered as it looks/feels smaller than i expected and thinking they may have sent 1/2 by mistake. 

I have added pics of it next to a 20p and 1/2 oz kruggerand? 

8C7120C9-618B-4F53-92B3-BF754C5FD920.jpeg

5355B223-FB0D-4F45-BACC-E4DB47767770.jpeg

BD059950-E0F5-4634-8CA3-5A9A5F717D2E.jpeg

I assume you don't have a weighing scale which can measure down to grams; otherwise, the weight for a full sovereign is 7.98g and a half sovereign is 3.99g. Older coins may weigh less because of being circulated. 

If you have a ruler, the diameter for a full sovereign is 22.05mm, while a half sovereign is 19.3mm. 

By judging from the picture comparing with 20p coin and it looks a bit larger, this is a full sovereign size as a 20p's diameter is 21.4mm.

I would suggest you at least have a digital scale and a caliper at hand, they are very useful. 

2 hours ago, silvernewbie said:

Thanks thats a relief new to Gold coins didnt realise how little physical Gold £300 buys! 

Worse than that, it's only a pound face value...

You sir need a balance. Digital ones are only around £20 best investment you could make. You can even do standard gravity tests then and be extra confident.

Not a stupid question but it did make me laugh. Yep thats £300 worth of gold right there. 

A friend of mine ordered a gold bar and was bragging about this gold bar he had purchased to everyone. He doesn’t know i have any gold. It was a 1g gold bar and when it arrived he was very sheepish when i asked him about it and i think it was around 1000 times smaller than he expected - which is half the size of his little fingernail.

Don’t be discouraged by the size, it’s still worth what it’s worth!

13 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Not a stupid question but it did make me laugh. Yep thats £300 worth of gold right there. 

A friend of mine ordered a gold bar and was bragging about this gold bar he had purchased to everyone. He doesn’t know i have any gold. It was a 1g gold bar and when it arrived he was very sheepish when i asked him about it and i think it was around 1000 times smaller than he expected - which is half the size of his little fingernail.

Don’t be discouraged by the size, it’s still worth what it’s worth!

I think the half sovereign is particularly odd as it's similar in size and feel to a penny, which we're all so used to. My brain has a hard time realising it's worth literally 10s of thousands more than I've been used to. 

That's why I bought an oz size gold coin, purely for the feel of it. 

10 hours ago, Notafront4adragon said:

I think the half sovereign is particularly odd as it's similar in size and feel to a penny, which we're all so used to. My brain has a hard time realising it's worth literally 10s of thousands more than I've been used to. 

That's why I bought an oz size gold coin, purely for the feel of it. 

Yeah, I still can’t get my head around how much wealth can be compacted into so little gold. Gold coins always look underwhelming when compared to silver coins but pack a hell of a punch when you come to sell them. It’s a combination of the concept that all the world’s gold can sit in the middle of a football stadium in a big cube, media fascination with sovereign hoards behind sofas and gold heists that brings home the yellow metal’s extreme rarity.

Archived