• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Is the Germania mint overrated?

ProfessorStacker

10 minutes ago, Branman1986 said:

Looks like the bottom is dropping out on the Allegories.  The 5oz is going for roughly half of what it was at its peak, and I can buy the 1oz at $27 now, which is lower than a lot of them were purchased from the online dealers. And I still think flippers and dealers are sitting on loads.  I should have listened to my gut and never should have bought any in the first place.  I also wonder if the falling Allegories price will affect the first Germania round's price.

Again though, I do *love* the oak leaves.

I think that the Germania Mint is doing wrong when she is minting the 5 and 10 oz size of the Colomiba&Germania in the one ounce germania size. I do not like it. I would like a greater diameter of these medaillons. But I do disagree with your opinion, that the returning prices of the Allegories will affect the first Germania. I think that the first one will do better than all following germanias even when you put a  liberty or a libertad next to her on the motive side.    

The problem with any high premium coin (or any other collectable for that matter) is that you need to be super cautious of fads. People see items become more and more valuable and assume that it is a trend that will go on forever but it generally doesn't and before long what goes up usually goes right back down again. I'd also be cautious of the amount of low mintage releases. Sure limited low mintage releases sound nice but the more that get put out this way the more diluted it all becomes. I remember watching the same thing occur in another collectable market that I was invested in some years back. Some companies started putting out these very limited run items which were super popular but that popularity in turn caused more and more of these releases to be put out which led to over saturation and a collapse in value.

I think the coins are nice but I wouldn't touch them in the secondary market after prices have gone up. What goes up generally will go back down.

1 minute ago, AppleZippoandMetronome said:

The problem with any high premium coin (or any other collectable for that matter) is that you need to be super cautious of fads. People see items become more and more valuable and assume that it is a trend that will go on forever but it generally doesn't and before long what goes up usually goes right back down again. I'd also be cautious of the amount of low mintage releases. Sure limited low mintage releases sound nice but the more that get put out this way the more diluted it all becomes. I remember watching the same thing occur in another collectable market that I was invested in some years back. Some companies started putting out these very limited run items which were super popular but that popularity in turn caused more and more of these releases to be put out which led to over saturation and a collapse in value.

I think the coins are nice but I wouldn't touch them in the secondary market after prices have gone up. What goes up generally will go back down.

I agree, but I also think we should add that aesthetics and actual design matters too.  Look at the Tuvalu Queen Anne's Revenge.  That coin started at $22.50 with zero fanfare and is now at $49 on eBay and rising.  Why?  Because the coin design is *awesome* and the demand was all organic collectors. 

Again, I think a lot of the Allegories demand was flippers pumping up their positions and trying to get others to buy into the hype.  After a ton of resistance, I bit too even though I didn't like the design at all.

I think they are two interesting case studies that happened at about the same time.

22 minutes ago, Branman1986 said:

The 5oz is going for roughly half of what it was at its peak, and I can buy the 1oz at $27 now...

Now I was looking and I can`t find a sold 5 oz Britannia&Germania under 250 Euro.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=5 oz silber germania and britannia&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I like the Germania and the Allegories series and I have no doubt, that the mint is doing right with the piedford 2 oz Germanias.

2 minutes ago, platinreloaded said:

Now I was looking and I can`t find a sold 5 oz Britannia&Germania under 250 Euro.

https://www.ebay.de/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=5 oz silber germania and britannia&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc&_trksid=p2045573.m1684

I like the Germania and the Allegories series and I have no doubt, that the mint is doing right with the piedford 2 oz Germanias.

This was our last auction based sale in the US.

Screenshot_20191110-074457.png

Archived