• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Storage box for Silver coins

silvernewbie

Hi

this may be a basic question but i have a few coins like eg krugerrand, maple, panda etc and looking for a box to keep them in.  are there boxes people recommend which will fit these sizes?

also if i buy other 1oz coins in the future is there a chance they will be a different size to my above ones? 

Thanks

43 minutes ago, silvernewbie said:

Hi just storage..not really display but no issues, my coins are in capsules not quadrums

Put them in tubes. Saves more space and easier to store. Put the tubes in a monster box for storage.

4 hours ago, JasonDavies said:

I have 4 cases from CoinGallery which I am very pleased with.

As an example, see https://www.coingallery.co.uk/lighthouse-l6-cargo-coin-case-with-trays-3330-p.asp

In the past I have contacted them and they have supplied any combination of trays I have requested.

Keep an eye open for the in Lidl; they usually get these cases in around November time for a week or so on special offer.

I picked one up last year for about £14, I seem to recall :)

I collect mainley sets or date runs so have specific wooden boxes for each coin then I have a couple 12x1oz quad cases for my random mixed coins. @Alunsells some great wooden boxes) I have a couple 😁) also ebay is a great place. Use a seller called andy_jack who I beleave is a member on the forum. He sells everything u could possibly need for your coin collecting needs 👍

I do a larger generic box which takes 44 1oz coins, will hold 39mm coins and also some larger Perth mint coins on the lower level too also holds the 2oz Queens beast and privateer /Lawless and even a 5oz Germania .....

Very well made solid wooden box. And the black looks fantastic loaded with silver coins

20190913_145230.jpg

20190501_102237.jpg

20190621_204334.jpg

20190501_102252.jpg

14 minutes ago, Alun said:

I do a larger generic box which takes 44 1oz coins, will hold 39mm coins and also some larger Perth mint coins on the lower level too also holds the 2oz Queens beast and privateer /Lawless and even a 5oz Germania .....

Very well made solid wooden box. And the black looks fantastic loaded with silver coins

20190913_145230.jpg

20190501_102237.jpg

20190621_204334.jpg

20190501_102252.jpg

SOLD! see pm @Alun

I feel ashamed to admit that I’ve got all my gold and silver stacks in a temporary toiletry bag. They’re all, of course, in coin tubes. I’m not entirely happy stashing my precious metals in a toiletry bag but I don’t know what better place to put them at the moment. I’ve been thinking of monster boxes or Peli cases.

You can get tubes for most coin sizes.

Are you keeping them in capsules? If not get the official tube for that coin. 

If you want them in capsules, go for airtites. They do all different sizes of capsules, and the tubes to put them in. 

On 24/09/2019 at 23:51, JasonDavies said:

I have 4 cases from CoinGallery which I am very pleased with.

As an example, see https://www.coingallery.co.uk/lighthouse-l6-cargo-coin-case-with-trays-3330-p.asp

In the past I have contacted them and they have supplied any combination of trays I have requested.

I use Leuchtturm (Lighthouse) cases too- you can find them on Amazon and ebay. The small one (S) holds 6x12 1oz (47mm) coin trays (72 coins total) and the large (L), twice that many on 6x24 1oz coin trays. I should say that the trays mentioned are divided into 47mm square compartments which are large enough to fit coins in capsules, although deeper (2oz coins stand slightly proud.

They seem reasonably well made, although the cases are only aluminium frames with plastic panels- painted and textured to resemble aluminium. The lock and hinges are metal, although the handle and its mounts are chromed plastic. I was a bit dubious about the latter as even the small case gets pretty hefty as it fills up but it actually seems fine- it’s not as though it gets carried anywhere, and if I did need to I’d chuck it in a bag anyway.

I can't stress how flexible coingallery are with the trays. I've emailed them in advance and told them what combination of trays I want. They reply by asking me to place the order and follow it up with an email. I do and they supply exactly what's required. The trays for the 10oz coins are red and the smaller coins are blue. That's not an issue if you look at the longer term picture; which is to fill a whole case with 10oz eventually.

Archived