• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

Wallace and Grommet the next 50p?

CadmiumGreen

I read about this supposed release the other day on FB and thought it was "fake news". I've seen no mention of a coin release with these W & G design in the proclamations in the Gazette. Might be stated sometime soon or actually the release is not a coin but a medal. I remember a while back completing a RM survey and they mentioned about thoughts on precious metal medals released by the mint?

I think they should stick to the absolute all-time classics as much as possible for the coins, the Gruff seemed a little bit 'recent/fotm' to me but I was unaware that it was such a significant worldwide smash hit. Wallace and Grommet are great but I really am not sure should they put them on a coin, maybe I'm wrong again there! And I did buy and love the Gruff :)

I'd love to see the classic Roald Dahl characters most of all but alas we never will. Perhaps that would be an interesting topic, ideas/wishes for future coins or medals?

11 minutes ago, RacerCool said:

I do like W&G but I have to keep the collector in me calmed down. He's like the Hulk, except the more "shiny" he sees, the more green he wants to spend. 😒

HULK....SPENDY!!!!!! :lol:

• 4 weeks later...
On 16/09/2019 at 10:35, h103efa said:

I read about this supposed release the other day on FB and thought it was "fake news". I've seen no mention of a coin release with these W & G design in the proclamations in the Gazette. Might be stated sometime soon or actually the release is not a coin but a medal. I remember a while back completing a RM survey and they mentioned about thoughts on precious metal medals released by the mint?

Well here is the proclamation for the W & G 50p. 

“CASEUS PRAESTANS" = Excellent Cheese

Also details of the next gruffalo and snowman 50p coins...

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/3402761

DESIGNS OF THE COINS

4. The design of the said fifty pence gold, silver and cupro-nickel coins shall be as follows:

‘For the obverse impression, Our effigy with the inscription “· ELIZABETH II · D · G · REG · F · D · 50 PENCE” and the date of the year and for the reverse either:

(a) the figures of Wallace and Gromit with the inscription “CASEUS PRAESTANS” and “WALLACE GROMIT”; or

(b) the figure of a snowman and a boy; or

(c) the Gruffalo confronting a mouse in a wood with the inscription “THE GRUFFALO”.

Archived