• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

gold sealed in mint packaging

Mark10110

22 minutes ago, JackKlugman said:

I don't agree as I know people who collect Britannias and the earlier ones do carry some limited premium.  Sovereign coins  when they were first made in 1817 were originally just "bullion" and only in recent years have they become more than that with the BU's and Proofs.

As were are all aware plenty of old bullion sovereigns are often worth far far more than the value of the metals they contain because they are collectable. 

You have a very modern perspective on these coins. Perhaps the OP could get 5% more in 20/30 years of its still in its original mint packaging from a collector. 

I completely disagree with your outlook, but at least you have some experience to back it up (even if I think it's wrong- the world would be a very dull place if we all agreed!) :)

You are right, I have a modern perspective, however...

You say 'limited premium' for the earlier ones and you are spot on. Imo the OP will get far more than 5% (over inflation) back in very far less than 20/30 years simply due to the rise in the price of bullion gold (which is all these are).

The comparison to early/historical Sovs is absolute nonsense imvho. I am not waiting around 2219 to make my 'fortune' on these (much as I would like to!) - and I don't think it wouyld ever happen anyway.

You also have to consider facts/history. When were gold Britannia's circulated? When were they any kind of 'real money'? The Sovs were both, the modern ones haven't been but they have captured the historical and traditional imagination and passion. Show me one thread on here where someone is looking for a bullion Britannia at much more than spot price to complete a date run!

9 minutes ago, kimchi said:

Show me one thread on here where someone is looking for a bullion Britannia at much more than spot price to complete a date run!

I do remember someone a couple of years ago talking about collecting 1/10 th bullion brits. There are some quite rare dates IIRC and it can be quite challenging I believe to complete a date run.

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

Just now, sovereignsteve said:

I do remember someone a couple of years ago talking about collecting 1/10 th bullion brits. There are some quite rare dates IIRC and it can be quite challenging I believe to complete a date run.

I'd be interested and enlightened to see that thread, I did ask for a link.

A half oz 2019 though? You are on the wind surely, enough of this nonsense! 🤣

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Show me one thread on here where someone is looking for a bullion Britannia at much more than spot price to complete a date run!

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

I'd be interested and enlightened to see that thread, I did ask for a link.

A half oz 2019 though? You are on the wind surely, enough of this nonsense! 🤣

You didn't specify a 1/2 oz brit, merely a brit.😉😂

I am not expressing an opinion therefore unlikely I can "be on the wind" as you put it. I was merely replying to your open question with information as I remember it.

I am sorry I can't supply a link, my skills with the forum search function are rubbish. If @HelpingHands or @morezone might interject?

Profile picture with thanks to Carl Vernon

39 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Gold is gold.....is gold. Put it in a pair of you old pants and it’s worth the same 😊

5 minutes ago, AuricGoldfinger said:

Gold is gold.....is gold. Put it in a pair of you old pants and it’s worth the same 😊

One more, just for luck 😁

Leaving something in OMP will not lose any premium but may gain some.

Removing something and putting in a capsule will not gain any premium but may lose some.

All dependent on whether this has a collector base now or in the future and whether there is anything unique about this particular coin.  Any changes in the field, boarder, portrait, size etc.  I've not kept up with the Britannia so have no idea if there has been any changes since they introduced the radial field.

I myself did/partially still collect the 1/10th and 1oz bullion Brits but only those of a different design rather than a date run.  There are people out there who do collect date runs of these but I doubt very many in 1/2oz size.  1/10,1/4 and 1oz would be a more collectible size.

I like to take pretty much everything out of OMP (with exception of Pandas) and put them in capsules simply because of the way I store them.  I'm not bothered about any premiums I may lose because of it.  If I threw things into a box then I would just keep them in their OMP.

If 2 identical coins were listed at the same price at the same time with one OMP and one not, then people would most likely choose OMP.  They can then put it in a capsule if they want but obviously you can't do it the other way round.  If there was a price difference then people would most likely choose the cheaper one unless it's a collectible in some way.  There are some people who will pay slightly more for something in OMP even if it's not collectible but would be on how much more of a premium there is.

If it were me I'd chuck it in a capsule.  But that's just me.

Nice coin. I think the half-ouncers are a good size.

I'd put it in a capsule as well, just because it will look nicer and I think you will enjoy it more while you own it.  Keeping it in the sealed Mint packaging will make such a trivial difference to its future value it really isn't worth worrying about.  Enjoy holding it by the edges and admiring the beauty of the coin in hand.

6 hours ago, Roy said:

It's the preferred grade in Asia, I believe?

Personally, I prefer .916 gold (and Sterling and Britannia silver) to the pure stuff 😊

I guess durability comes to mind when you're building an Empire.

I do understand the appeal of 999 gold as investment coinage however. The Beasts are great, the Brits a little disappointing. IMHO, naturally.

For investment purposes the sovereigns will keep going and so will the Brits. The beasts will stop and the next well designed series will start and life/collecting/stacking will go on. 

I'm a Perth mint Lunar fan. I'll slowly finish up series 2 and even more slowly finish series 1 and move on to series 3.

I'd cap the Brit get them all and put in a lovely presentation case and love looking at them.

Archived