• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsors topics (hidden to guests) for deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking. 

Mark10110

gold sealed in mint packaging

Hi guys and Gals,

Today I get some gold and it came sealed as seen below, I usually put in capsules but I don't know if I am making it harder to sell in a later date? Does the mint sealed coin work better in this or should I put in capsule with the rest?

IMG_1504.JPG

IMG_1506.JPG

As @JackKlugman said put it in a capsule.

A good general rule of thumb is that any gold coin is worth more to a buyer if it is in the best available condition, or to put it another way with as little scratches dents, nicks etc.  A capsule will do this better than the vacuum slip supplied in this example.

However if buying blister pack gold bars then the reverse is probably true because of the hologram anti-counterfeit measures.

Re the 2019 date on the coin, I think I am correct in saying that it is not uncommon for the royal mint to keep producing undated runs after the date stamped.

It's bullion, I say do what you like with it!

Keep it as pristine as possible if you want. Equally I very much enjoyed Shadowstack's video on Youtube where he handles a lovely 5oz gold coin for the health benefits he feels contact with the metal bring. Found that very interesting and as I have more than one coin I am thinking of choosing one coin as my 'handle as much as you like' piece. Why not? As a well as a store of wealth these coins can and should be enjoyed as much as possible imo.

Very nice pick up for your first gold btw! :)

15 minutes ago, kimchi said:

It's bullion, I say do what you like with it!

Keep it as pristine as possible if you want. Equally I very much enjoyed Shadowstack's video on Youtube where he handles a lovely 5oz gold coin for the health benefits he feels contact with the metal bring. Found that very interesting and as I have more than one coin I am thinking of choosing one coin as my 'handle as much as you like' piece. Why not? As a well as a store of wealth these coins can and should be enjoyed as much as possible imo.

Very nice pick up for your first gold btw! :)

Just buy a gold ring/bracelet/necklace?

1 minute ago, Mark10110 said:

Just buy a gold ring/bracelet/necklace?

Yes, absolutely! I just don't wear jewellery or a watch myself (got a vintage solid gold watch inheritance in secure storage, now that's a beauty!) so I found it interesting that Shadowstack of all people (his videos are usually very practical and investment/profit related) talked about handling gold and meditating on it, and about how all ancient cultures and many eastern countries still see how important it is. I found it very interesting, having consumed gold a number of times in Asia in food and drink.

It won't come with your first coin which no doubt you will be very keen to keep absolutely pristine, but once you have a few perhaps it's worth thinking about, I certainly am now! So much of the numismatic and semi-numismatic side of things (not to mention flipping if you're into that) and grading sorta 'divorce' you from your coins, but they should be enjoyed as much as possible, and I have in mind a lovely coin I don't mind possibly losing a few quid on for fingerprints considering it's already increased in intrinsic value by 25+% in three years.

13 minutes ago, Tn21 said:

1/10oz au coins on each eye lid instead of the cucumbers 

How about an 18ct Prince Albert? :o🤣

3 hours ago, Mark10110 said:

Today I get some gold and it came sealed as seen below, I usually put in capsules but I don't know if I am making it harder to sell in a later date? Does the mint sealed coin work better in this or should I put in capsule with the rest?

You need to do your research and find out if these types of coins become collectable. If so, i would say leave it in the mint plastic, it has more chance of retaining it's pristine condition and therefore its future value.

I can only draw comparison with modern sovereigns such as years 2002, 2005 and 2012. They sell for more if still in mint plastic.

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Equally I very much enjoyed Shadowstack's video on Youtube where he handles a lovely 5oz gold coin for the health benefits he feels contact with the metal bring. Found that very interesting and as I have more than one coin I am thinking of choosing one coin as my 'handle as much as you like' piece. Why not? As a well as a store of wealth these coins can and should be enjoyed as much as possible imo.

Will it be .999? 

16 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

You need to do your research and find out if these types of coins become collectable. If so, i would say leave it in the mint plastic, it has more chance of retaining it's pristine condition and therefore its future value.

I can only draw comparison with modern sovereigns such as years 2002, 2005 and 2012. They sell for more if still in mint plastic.

The Sovs do, but a 1/2 bullion Brit? Surely not much homework needed there, we can all advise that it is absolutely not necessary (?).

2 minutes ago, Roy said:

Will it be .999? 

I think I may have missed a joke here, but .9999 my good man, nothing but the best! :)

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

The Sovs do, but a 1/2 bullion Brit? Surely not much homework needed there, we can all advise that it is absolutely not necessary (?).

The sovs are bullion too. I know nothing about gold brits and make no presumptions regarding collectability, current or future. Other people's tastes are their own.

Also, it is always good to encourage the OP to do their own thinking and research. 😉

1 minute ago, kimchi said:

I think I may have missed a joke here, but .9999 my good man, nothing but the best! :)

It's the preferred grade in Asia, I believe?

Personally, I prefer .916 gold (and Sterling and Britannia silver) to the pure stuff 😊

I guess durability comes to mind when you're building an Empire.

I do understand the appeal of 999 gold as investment coinage however. The Beasts are great, the Brits a little disappointing. IMHO, naturally.

11 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

The sovs are bullion too. I know nothing about gold brits and make no presumptions regarding collectability, current or future. Other people's tastes are their own.

Also, it is always good to encourage the OP to do their own thinking and research. 😉

OK well I do know about gold bullion Brits as well as modern Sovs, and happy to state that it matters not a jot to what Brits are worth, although they will likely be more attractive to some/sell more easily in times when spot price is lowish, if pristine. Will that change in future? I would say unlike some modern Sovs categorically no, but I would always suggest getting further input.

Agreed, personal research should always be encouraged, so therefore a bit mystified why you offer a useless comparison that sends the OP off in totally the wrong direction ;)

Edited by kimchi

2 minutes ago, Roy said:

It's the preferred grade in Asia, I believe?

Personally, I prefer .916 gold (and Sterling and Britannia silver) to the pure stuff 😊

I guess durability comes to mind when you're building an Empire.

I do understand the appeal of 999 gold as investment coinage however. The Beasts are great, the Brits a little disappointing. IMHO, naturally.

I've no idea about Asia as unfortunately I left before getting interested in PMs, so that's interesting to know.

My .9999 wasn't meant to be an investment as such, more a store of wealth, but gold is looking good right now, so that would certainly be a bonus going forward, I have confidence in the future of PMs and especially gold, but not ruling out good things coming for silver either. I love some of the beasts too (I have a few!) but for buying close to spot right now as the OP was (I believe, from their other thread) I'd be looking at lowest premium and bullion Brits always have a place there imo for British buyers (CGT free), Sovs an equally worthy choice (for the same reason plus more liquid). I know you know all that @Roy, posting for (hopefully) some benefit to others :)

Just now, kimchi said:

I've no idea about Asia as unfortunately I left before getting interested in PMs, so that's interesting to know.

My .9999 wasn't meant to be an investment as such, more a store of wealth, but gold is looking good right now, so that would certainly be a bonus going forward, I have confidence in the future of PMs and especially gold, but not ruling out good things coming for silver either. I love some of the beasts too (I have a few!) but for buying close to spot right now as the OP was (I believe, from their other thread) I'd be looking at lowest premium and bullion Brits always have a place there imo for British buyers (CGT free), Sovs an equally worthy choice (for the same reason plus more liquid). I know you know all that @Roy, posting for (hopefully) some benefit to others :)

Thats pretty much it, Easy liquidity for brits, gonna throw in a QB or two and a bunch of sovs

Isn't it interesting what this latest increase in spot price has made clear?

If I bought a 1oz bullion coin for £1000 and spot increased to £1200, I could sell it and make £200 profit.

But if I bought a 1oz proof coin for £1100 with premium and spot increased to £1200, I could sell it for...£1200! We have seen this on this very forum.

Proof coins do not do well when spot increases quickly.

8 minutes ago, Roy said:

Isn't it interesting what this latest increase in spot price has made clear?

If I bought a 1oz bullion coin for £1000 and spot increased to £1200, I could sell it and make £200 profit.

But if I bought a 1oz proof coin for £1100 with premium and spot increased to £1200, I could sell it for...£1200! We have seen this on this very forum.

Proof coins do not do well when spot increases quickly.

Good point @Roy, thats probably why I haven't bought any proofs... yet.  However if the right deal came along than that may change.

1 hour ago, kimchi said:

Agreed, personal research should always be encouraged, so therefore a bit mystified why you offer a useless comparison that sends the OP off in totally the wrong direction

I disagree. I suggested he researched gold brits, not sovs. How can that be the wrong direction?

The comparison was merely to show how a collectable coin may be better kept in mint plastic. At no time did I say the two situations would be the same.

4 minutes ago, sovereignsteve said:

I disagree. I suggested he researched gold brits, not sovs. How can that be the wrong direction?

The comparison was merely to show how a collectable coin may be better kept in mint plastic. At no time did I say the two situations would be the same.

It's not a collectable coin, never will be, the history of these coins is well-established (but as you say you don't know about it). It's bullion. A very good pick up but worth little or no more or less than the intrinsic value.

Hope that helps :)

8 minutes ago, kimchi said:

It's not a collectable coin, never will be, the history of these coins is well-established (but as you say you don't know about it). It's bullion. A very good pick up but worth little or no more or less than the intrinsic value.

Hope that helps :)

I don't agree as I know people who collect Britannias and the earlier ones do carry some limited premium.  Sovereign coins  when they were first made in 1817 were originally just "bullion" and only in recent years have they become more than that with the BU's and Proofs.

As were are all aware plenty of old bullion sovereigns are often worth far far more than the value of the metals they contain because they are collectable. 

You have a very modern perspective on these coins. Perhaps the OP could get 5% more in 20/30 years of its still in its original mint packaging from a collector.