• The above Banner is a Sponsored Banner.

Upgrade to Premium Membership to remove this Banner & All Google Ads. For full list of Premium Member benefits Click HERE.

• Join The Silver Forum

The Silver Forum is one of the largest and best loved silver and gold precious metals forums in the world, established since 2014. Join today for FREE! Browse the sponsor's topics (hidden to guests) for special deals and offers, check out the bargains in the members trade section and join in with our community reacting and commenting on topic posts. If you have any questions whatsoever about precious metals collecting and investing please join and start a topic and we will be here to help with our knowledge :) happy stacking/collecting. 21,000+ forum members and 1 million+ forum posts. For the latest up to date stats please see the stats in the right sidebar when browsing from desktop. Sign up for FREE to view the forum with reduced ads. 

What is it that you look for when buying older sovereigns?

Foster88

I’ve wondered this for some time and I’m what I’d call a novice into the world of gold coins but I’m mostly interested in sovereigns, what is it that you look for when deciding wether to buy an older coin or not? 

I’m hoping this could help other novices like myself as we’ve all got to start somewhere.

Take for example this 1862 shield back sovereign that I received today, I’ve been looking for one for a while and settled on this one. Which I think may be of the wide date variety. The price was right and the coin seemed in good condition but I don’t really know what I’m looking for or how to grade a good coin from a bullion grade coin.

What is it that you look for in a coin before deciding wether or not to buy? The obvious points such as price etc I understand. 

I appreciate this question is very broad but I’d be interested to know others thoughts on this.

7495731C-6740-47F9-8CFB-066DA1A6E069.jpeg

10C2AED9-C379-45C0-B06A-920BA4F5C69B.jpeg

Personally I always prefer a good old coin with character that has actually been in circulation rather than a sparkly new one that is straight from the mint.

I am no expert and look for eye appeal, reasonable price, trusted seller and the likelihood it will appreciate over time.

Anything dated 1899 and earlier always gets my attention.

14 minutes ago, Norskgeld said:

Personally I always prefer a good old coin with character that has actually been in circulation rather than a sparkly new one that is straight from the mint.

I am no expert and look for eye appeal, reasonable price, trusted seller and the likelihood it will appreciate over time.

Anything dated 1899 and earlier always gets my attention.

That’s a great way to do it. I much prefer the older sovereigns and something with a bit of history to it. 

I did buy two 2018 sovereigns last year and whilst they’re nice and sparkly they just don’t hold a lot of appeal for me but I bought them as the price was good. 

It just intrigued me to see what others look for in an older coin before deciding wether to buy.

12 minutes ago, Fastnick said:

"Definition", as I call it....

Signs of age/wear add to the provenance of a coin, but I avoid really, really worn examples - badly worn coins don't do it for me.

This a big deal to me, too. If a coin is old and has history, but you can't make out anything, then it's almost pointless. The exception for me was an 8 reales piece-of-eight from the 1700s with chop marks, but I got it for a good price.

But back to the sovereign discussion. 

I think you cant really go too far wrong with shield backs or older. They have plenty of character and individuality imo. Go for the best quality you can afford. I’m sure they will always do well in terms of value appreciation. With shield backs it seems that the shield side fares better than the obverse, so look out for the detail in queen vic’s hair bun and around the neck and hair band.

Preference for the young head Victoria Shield Sovereigns. Nothing like getting a good kiss curl! Highly recommend getting a copy of Marsh’s “The Gold Sovereign” as a tremendous resource...next best is the hunt and the chase of a good condition rarity, as able to afford of course!

Older sovereigns typically has common, uncommon and rare category. Mintages issue during the year versus population left mintage contributes to if the coin status of demand. Another would be the condition of the circulated coins. More worn down coin faces than less worn down. Designs are individual preferences and availability of sourcing the coins. Browsing the coin catalogue is easy than the hunt itself.

Archived